Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic can stay the firm favourite for the US Open, but I think he'll miss out once again. Murray looks like a decent bet. Federer played very well today, but translating this form to a best of 5 on a slightly slower surface in New York will be difficult at his age.

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic hasn't played well during the North American summer hard court season since 2011. He hasn't won anything since the Rogers Cup in 2012, a tournament that Fed, Murray and Nadal didn't play. Looks like he doesn't have much left in the tank for this part of the season anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Delighted to see Fed win another masters by beating Murray and Novak back to back. It doesn't say much about his US Open chances but I don't care. I'm just happy that he has won this tournament again. His game with the bigger racquet is perfect for fast HCs. Just a shame that there are so few of them around these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrno1324)
    When will Nadal reveal his whole 2015 season has been a prank?
    Nadal is finished. Defensive players like him struggle a lot once they lose their physical edge. So unless he completely revamps his game (very difficult to do) and becomes an aggressive baseliner, he will keep going downhill from here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I love watching an interview with Federer. He's so classy, and he oozes charm and sophistication. A true great, and one that we'll all miss when he retires.

ReputationRep:
    The downside for Djokovic is that he's yet again failed to win an elusive title meaning 2015 will be seen as a season where he once again fell short of the career GS and the Golden Masters. He'll be happy it wasn't as disastrous as this time last year but still this stretch of the year seems to be unforgiving for him, maybe next year he should skip Montreal instead of Madrid. If Djokovic rediscovers his form though he might be able to pull it off in New York. The US Open isn't as fast as Cincinnati and it's best of 5 so we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to Tiafoe for 'decking' Harrison, 1-6 6-3 6-3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Called it, also not quite sure how Murray managed to beat Dimitrov, a set & double break down, plus 5-2 down in the final set...
    I felt quite confident about Feli, he's been playing better this tournament and Rafa's been struggling.

Yeah, how Murray managed to come back from a double break against Dimitrov is beyond me. Much like how Djokovic managed to do the same against Goffin, and when he had a sore tummy against Dolgopolov, but managed to make a miraculous recovery. Call me cynical, but at least Federer won in the final!

Goffin, Dolgopolov and Dimitrov just choked, really... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhy)
    Congrats to Tiafoe for 'decking' Harrison, 1-6 6-3 6-3.
    lol. To be fair, Kokkinakis is a bit of a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Djokovic can stay the firm favourite for the US Open, but I think he'll miss out once again. Murray looks like a decent bet. Federer played very well today, but translating this form to a best of 5 on a slightly slower surface in New York will be difficult at his age.
    Are you sure Cincy is quicker than the US? I was definitely of the impression that it was slower, and much slower at that. Check out this tweet by Tennis Channel commentator Rob Keonig:

https://twitter.com/robkoenigtennis/...61221370544128

It puts Cincy slower than Miami even, and I'd agree. I don't think it's faster than the US. I think Federer was making it look fast the way he was taking it so early yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Nadal is finished. Defensive players like him struggle a lot once they lose their physical edge. So unless he completely revamps his game (very difficult to do) and becomes an aggressive baseliner, he will keep going downhill from here.
    I think the whole idea that Rafa is a defensive baseliner is not entirely true. Yes, he defends a lot, but in his best years he was consistently aggressive - 2008, 2010, even 2011, 2013 and the first half of 2014 show how awesome he is when he attacks. When he was a teenager there was absolutely no doubt he was an aggressive baseliner. His default mode is to defend these days, and he'll probably go down as the greatest defender of all time, but people shouldn't forget how terrific he is when he takes the initiative. There's a reason a large number of commentators consider his forehand down the line to be the best of all time, as it's one of the most damaging shots in tennis, and totally borne out of sheer aggression.

I'd say alternatively that he needs to re-discover his aggression, rather than revamping his game. Definitely needs to be more aggressive with the serve however, although at the moment he is still dealing with shoulder problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    I think the whole idea that Rafa is a defensive baseliner is not entirely true. Yes, he defends a lot, but in his best years he was consistently aggressive - 2008, 2010, even 2011, 2013 and the first half of 2014 show how awesome he is when he attacks. When he was a teenager there was absolutely no doubt he was an aggressive baseliner. His default mode is to defend these days, and he'll probably go down as the greatest defender of all time, but people shouldn't forget how terrific he is when he takes the initiative. There's a reason a large number of commentators consider his forehand down the line to be the best of all time, as it's one of the most damaging shots in tennis, and totally borne out of sheer aggression.

I'd say alternatively that he needs to re-discover his aggression, rather than revamping his game. Definitely needs to be more aggressive with the serve however, although at the moment he is still dealing with shoulder problems.
    The forehand down the line is an aggressive shot but he's defensive in the sense that he plays a 30 shot rally first. He needs to shorten the points whether that's working his serve, his game or coming to the net like Fed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The forehand down the line is an aggressive shot but he's defensive in the sense that he plays a 30 shot rally first. He needs to shorten the points whether that's working his serve, his game or coming to the net like Fed.
    That's fair, but again, when he takes the initiative his serve + first forehand combo was, and is, devastating. He was more inclined to win those kinds of points when he was at his peak. Federer is an extreme example as someone who is generally hyper aggressive and tries to take it on as early as possible in the rally. Not even Djokovic is that aggressive, and spends more time constructing the point.

ReputationRep:
    That's fair, but again, when he takes the initiative his serve + first forehand combo was, and is, devastating. He was more inclined to win those kinds of points when he was at his peak. Federer is an extreme example as someone who is generally hyper aggressive and tries to take it on as early as possible in the rally. Not even Djokovic is that aggressive, and spends more time constructing the point.
    Sure and perhaps it's just that he genuinely prefers to grind the opponent (Fed was uber aggressive before Nadal forced him to up his baseline game) since we know he can do it. To be fair, Djokovic and Murray have been taught in such a way that they are extremely technical and by the book. While Nadal did have the same training he weirdly has always had his own game (perhaps from his early years, i don't know why he plays differently) and so i don't think he's as constrained. All he really needs to do is aim to fire after 10 rather than 30.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how far Fed's new playing style will take him at the US open, watching him destroy Bautista Agut earlier at Cincy by rushing his second serve was insane. Like, 2 metres inside the baseline insane! Looks like Edberg is rubbing off on him...

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure Cincy is quicker than the US? I was definitely of the impression that it was slower, and much slower at that. Check out this tweet by Tennis Channel commentator Rob Keonig:

https://twitter.com/robkoenigtennis/...61221370544128

It puts Cincy slower than Miami even, and I'd agree. I don't think it's faster than the US. I think Federer was making it look fast the way he was taking it so early yesterday.
    That's an interesting perspective from Koenig - I think it was Novak who mentioned the conditions in New York would suit him better than at Cincy as the the courts at the US Open play slightly slower. Federer's looking to employ this returning tactic on the quicker courts where his aggression actually pays off, so maybe we'll see this again in Shanghai and Paris.
    Miami could be a quick court, but it's extremely deceptive - the depth (i.e. the space at the back) helps the defensive players more, resulting in longer rallies on average.

I've not been to all the Masters venues (only 6 of them), but I'd rank them in this order:
    Shanghai, Paris, Cincy, Toronto, IW, Miami, Madrid, Rome, Monte Carlo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Sure and perhaps it's just that he genuinely prefers to grind the opponent (Fed was uber aggressive before Nadal forced him to up his baseline game) since we know he can do it. To be fair, Djokovic and Murray have been taught in such a way that they are extremely technical and by the book. While Nadal did have the same training he weirdly has always had his own game (perhaps from his early years, i don't know why he plays differently) and so i don't think he's as constrained. All he really needs to do is aim to fire after 10 rather than 30.
    Yeah I agree with you there. I think where Nadal differs largely from Djokovic and Murray technically is that they are much more comfortable finishing the point with their backhands, and are more accomplished with the stroke as a result. Even with similar training, I would guess that his favour for dominating points with his forehand is partly rooted in the DNA of Spanish clay court tennis, with its emphasis on heavy topspin. Murray and Djokovic, while barely a year younger than Nadal, are arguably more emblematic of modern baseline tennis because of the way they redirect play with the backhand. But on point, it would be definitely refreshing to see Nadal going after it earlier in rallies - if anything it would surprise opponents for a change who generally know what to expect these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    That's an interesting perspective from Koenig - I think it was Novak who mentioned the conditions in New York would suit him better than at Cincy as the the courts at the US Open play slightly slower. Federer's looking to employ this returning tactic on the quicker courts where his aggression actually pays off, so maybe we'll see this again in Shanghai and Paris.
    Miami could be a quick court, but it's extremely deceptive - the depth (i.e. the space at the back) helps the defensive players more, resulting in longer rallies on average.

I've not been to all the Masters venues (only 6 of them), but I'd rank them in this order:
    Shanghai, Paris, Cincy, Toronto, IW, Miami, Madrid, Rome, Monte Carlo
    I wonder if they're also factoring in the potentially cooler temperatures in NY, especially for night matches. Although I went last year when it was extremely humid and very hot, even at night, so the courts were playing fast.

Only 6! I haven't been to a single Masters tournament - I've been to two out of the 4 Grand Slams but just never made it along to any of the Masters. The WTF on the other hand I've been to 5 times now. Now that is one slow court.

ReputationRep:
    US Open draw out:

Potential Quarters (only based on seeding): Djokovic-Nadal, Ferrer-Nishikori, Wawrinka-Murray, Berdych-Federer
    Potential SF (on seeding only): Djokovic-Nishikori, Federer-Murray

Interesting R1 matches: Nadal vs Coric, Murray vs Kyrgios, Federer vs L. Mayer

ReputationRep:
    So the US Open started an hour ago! Exciting 2 weeks ahead.

I'm watching the first week with Eurosport but as with every year they don't cover the second week. Does anyone happen to have either HD streams they can point me to, or a way of watching American television online? I was thinking of changing to a US VPN to watch as well if possible. Thoughts? If I can I pay for streaming services but the US Open is always the most difficult tournament of the year, to watch, and I've lost a lot of my old streams.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.