Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    If this finale doesn't lead into or have some kind of link to the return of the Time Lords then I'm going to start getting annoyed. What was the point in retconning the whole "last of the Time Lords" thing if the Time Lords will never come back?

I suppose this is what Steven Moffat calls an "arc"- mentioning something once and then expanding on it three series later.
    I assume it has to link into the last time we saw the Master, as he said the Doctor "left him for dead". Not really sure how the Doctor did that though, since the Master basically saved Earth from the Time Lords.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    I think Moffat is an appallingly 1 dimensional writer who's being found out for the hack he is. The same episodes again and again. The same overly witty, borderline cringey dialogue and sharp exchanges every episode. The same recycled, half baked plotlines each episode. And then the loose, unfulfilled plot strands like the crack etc. It seems he has these ideas, runs with them but then realises there is no coherent end to them so a half baked ending is inserted.
    This isn't justified. He makes a mess of Dr who on the whole, although with the odd exceptional episode, but he's done fantastic work in Sherlock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    This isn't justified. He makes a mess of Dr who on the whole, although with the odd exceptional episode, but he's done fantastic work in Sherlock.
    Not disputing the fact Sherlock is very well written. But the gaping similarities between the 2 episodes dialogue just scream "Well, Sherlock works. Let's copy and paste". The short sharp exchanges, the humour, the dynamic between the characters is just copied and pasted. It works in Sherlock, it does not work in Doctor Who. That is 1 dimensional for me, when similarities become lazy copying. I get it, he writes Sherlock so there will be similarities and he can't just erase all ideas stemming from Sherlock's dialogue, but Christ man at least give us something fresh. Don't rehash the dialogue of the superior series and hope it works.

ReputationRep:
    Not disputing the fact Sherlock is very well written. But the gaping similarities between the 2 episodes dialogue just scream "Well, Sherlock works. Let's copy and paste". The short sharp exchanges, the humour, the dynamic between the characters is just copied and pasted. It works in Sherlock, it does not work in Doctor Who. That is 1 dimensional for me, when similarities become lazy copying. I get it, he writes Sherlock so there will be similarities and he can't just erase all ideas stemming from Sherlock's dialogue, but Christ man at least give us something fresh. Don't rehash the dialogue of the superior series and hope it works.
    I can't comment on the dialogue. But the character relationships of both shows seem pretty different to me.

ReputationRep:
    I can't comment on the dialogue. But the character relationships of both shows seem pretty different to me.
    They seem a bit too similar to me, the whole "playful but I love you really" nature of both relationships. Still, I think we'll agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Moffat is a good writer, but in a way his talent gets in the way of writing a coherent story. It's all character, character, character, and the plot is an after thought. This actually worked well early in the series with episodes like "Listen", but two of his three characters are really bad, politically correct feminist gender constructions that don't remotely resemble human beings, the plots and storylines are rushed into and not thought about, and most of the time are just ridiculous and broken. The kind of fast, off beat, piffy style that seems to work in Sherlock is not compatable with the Dr Who narrative style. It's like he's imitating the Tarantino style, without the coherence, complexity or depth, and it just comes off as rushed.
    Ooh imagine a double-episode written & directed by Tarantino. I'd pay mega bucks to see that happen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Ooh imagine a double-episode written & directed by Tarantino. I'd pay mega bucks to see that happen!
    Same. That would be intellectual fap bait.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by GCSEsitter)
    I think Moffat is a great writer but this series has been disappointing to say the least. I just have one question, at they very end of the last episode when Danny is about to press delete we see the reflection of someone else's face in the iPad. Who was that??
    That was the kid that Danny killed in Iraq.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Moffat is a good writer, but in a way his talent gets in the way of writing a coherent story. It's all character, character, character, and the plot is an after thought. This actually worked well early in the series with episodes like "Listen", but two of his three characters are really bad, politically correct feminist gender constructions that don't remotely resemble human beings, the plots and storylines are rushed into and not thought about, and most of the time are just ridiculous and broken. The kind of fast, off beat, piffy style that seems to work in Sherlock is not compatable with the Dr Who narrative style. It's like he's imitating the Tarantino style, without the coherence, complexity or depth, and it just comes off as rushed.

I think Moffat is an appallingly 1 dimensional writer who's being found out for the hack he is. The same episodes again and again. The same overly witty, borderline cringey dialogue and sharp exchanges every episode. The same recycled, half baked plotlines each episode. And then the loose, unfulfilled plot strands like the crack etc. It seems he has these ideas, runs with them but then realises there is no coherent end to them so a half baked ending is inserted.

Am I the only one who thinks this series has been a huge improvement compared to basically all of Matt Smith's series? Maybe it is just because the tone is a bit less childish (most of the time) but the only episode I've thought was absolutely terrible this series was the first one, which I think is one of Doctor Who's worst episodes. I'm not saying it is amazing but I feel it has improved. The Dalek episode was one of the best in years I think and last weeks was pretty good too.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks this series has been a huge improvement compared to basically all of Matt Smith's series? Maybe it is just because the tone is a bit less childish (most of the time) but the only episode I've thought was absolutely terrible this series was the first one, which I think is one of Doctor Who's worst episodes. I'm not saying it is amazing but I feel it has improved. The Dalek episode was one of the best in years I think and last weeks was pretty good too.
    The first half the the series defiantly. It went downhill sometime shortly after listen imo.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that the series is a lot better than most of the Matt Smith series. I like the darker tone and I like how the companion no longer wants to jump on the Doctor's sausage, which is what we've been subjected to ever since Matt Smith.

ReputationRep:
    The first half the the series defiantly. It went downhill sometime shortly after listen imo.
    Really? The only episodes I think are actually quite good are Into the Dalek, Time Heist, Mummy on the Orient Express, and Dark Water.

Caretaker was ok, but the rest have been either mediocre or poor imo.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that the series is a lot better than most of the Matt Smith series. I like the darker tone and I like how the companion no longer wants to jump on the Doctor's sausage, which is what we've been subjected to ever since Matt Smith David Tennant.
    Rose Tyler?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    Rose Tyler?
    Rose's was tolerable and was hidden well behind Mickey. The writing for Rose's little triangle was less cringey. Not only that but Mickey had battled Daleks, Cybermen etc, he was cool, well developed and a major character. Rory was the dull, average bloke from the Butcher's shop who just seemed to find himself travelling along, doing nothing spectacular except a few cool flips while there were explosions in the background

ReputationRep:
    I liked Rory initially but they made him way too heroic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEsitter)
    Still seems a bit weird. Why does Danny have to choose to be deleted? Why not convert everyone automatically? Why would the master help the cybermen? Why is Clara still here? They travelled apparently to the depths of the universe, switching off shields and nav-com just so they could get into London, they could have just taken the bus?
    The idea is that the Doctor thought they would be going to"the afterlife", or whatever the 'real' equivalent would be. He therefore turned everything off so that wherever the telepathic link took them, they would be able to land without too much objection from the TARDIS.

It just so happened that the last remaining trace of Danny had been uploaded to the Nethersphere (library and CAL, anyone?), which was located in London. The Doctor wasn't to know that.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    well i really wasn't expecting that ending! :eek:

now i really can't wait for Saturday!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Wasn't all that interesting. Even though I saw the cybermen in the thumbnail (great job BBC) it was a surprise to see that logo of their eye thing appear when they closed the door. Then it ruined the moment by putting the Russell T Davis cyberman music in.

Also, unless they're lying about people being concious while dead, that concept makes no sense. People feel pain because of their nervous system. If their nerves have rotted, decomposed or disconnected due to the body being dead, then how does someone feel pain? Also how are the people in the matrix thing able to maintain a connection to their bodies? I know Doctor Who uses fictional and/or questionable concepts and actions but this just sounds incredibly retarded.

Oh and it's in London present day at the end as well. Wow. And no-one cares about anything. I liked how she was just sat on the floor and he didn't do anything. You could try subduing her or something?

This felt so ... lame. It was hilarious how it finished with just six cybermen walking and no-one of the public cared at all. I knew that secondary 'twist' was coming and I was so disappointed I was hoping they'd either use an actual Time Lady or do something new which could add to the whole Galifrey story, but when she revealed her identity, so disappointing.

I really dislike the idea that people can change genders when regenerating because it's never happened in Doctor Who other than for satirical purposes in that Rowan Atkinson comic relief show. If they have as much change of changing gender, or race if someone wants to randomly force that on the scenario in the future, then explain why the Doctor has stayed male and white the entire show. My interpretation is that he can only stay the one race and the one gender his whole life. Please don't **** about with that.

There wasn't a lot of weight to her anyway, I found her to be a lame 'villain' and seeing her before at the end of all those other episodes they threw her in so they can technically call this a 'series arch', she came across as just some random contrived villain who espouses quirky dialogue like 'lol you're in heaven now'. There wasn't a sense of mysteriousness about it, more like 'ok Steven Moffat just get it over with'. I never once cared about those random scenes they threw in, usually I'd care about what certain things mean.

I feel my brain became stupid enough to not warrant emotions just by watching this.

That's not even what anyone is complaining about. They clearly stated that changing from a man to a woman is retarded because the Doctor has been so consistently white and male throughout the show, and so has the Master. And even if he wanted a sex change like real life human transgendered people, neither character would wait 900 years or whatever to get that procedure done just to feel like they're in the right body.
    I took that all to be propaganda bull**** to be honest, so they didn't have to explain the truth to them.

ReputationRep:
    Show hasnt been worth watching since that redhead left.

Dont even like Doctor Who, used to leave it on mute if she was on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    I took that all to be propaganda bull**** to be honest, so they didn't have to explain the truth to them.
    There was a lot of build up to it and they made it seem like a big deal.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.