Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by tehFrance)
    Yes as long as there are bribes paid out, the unfortunate truth is that bribes are the way forward, we all know Qatar did it and it's an incredibly safe bet that Russia did too... Go to the country for a day and you'll see the corruption around you
    I couldn't bear living where I feel compelled to bribe corrupt officials. Corruption disgusts me, so do these allegations!

ReputationRep:
    In [Soviet] Russia, bribery is the cost of business. Which is actually not a joke.

ReputationRep:
    No, I can't see it in the UK. Too many people calling FIFA corrupt over here. They'll probably pick Antarctica over England.

(Original post by MacDaddi)
    I couldn't bear living where I feel compelled to bribe corrupt officials. Corruption disgusts me, so do these allegations!
    To be honest it could be a lot worse than it is although in some ways it is as they're using slave labour basically just like Dubai they have concentration camps for workers, it's appalling and that's why I'm outraged not because of bribes but because of how these men are treated
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    In [Soviet] Russia, bribery is the cost of business. Which is actually not a joke.
    Yeah it's rather unfortunate isn't it :sad:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it could be a lot worse than it is although in some ways it is as they're using slave labour basically just like Dubai they have concentration camps for workers, it's appalling and that's why I'm outraged not because of bribes but because of how these men are treated

Yeah it's rather unfortunate isn't it :sad:
    Well, it is a part of their culture so my opinion is neither positive nor negative. Russia is a way of life – one completely different to Western Europe – so at least there is some cultural diversity and the native citizens seem to be alright with it. Just as the Japanese, for example. I am not a particular fan of how the rich can twist the law there, nor their gay-bashing, nor anti-West propaganda, but those individual characteristics are found in many other cultures and in much higher concentrations too.

ReputationRep:
    Well that opening ceremony was just awful.

The song at the end to - could anyone hear it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)

I am concerned that you were not watching the highlights of potentially the most successful ginger Englishman sportsman's magnificent day at Lords. Or do you have Sky in your humble dwelling and saw it live over your tea and cucumber sandwiches?

Glad I didn't bother watching it then, I'll watch the game when it kicks off I'm sure but glad I missed the opening ceremony :lol:

ReputationRep:

The whole thing can be described as awkward.

In other news, other League 2 fans watching the WC, that stadium in the 666 advert with Harry Redknapp was Oxford United's, woo we're famous.

ReputationRep:
    Glad I didn't bother watching it then, I'll watch the game when it kicks off I'm sure but glad I missed the opening ceremony :lol:
    You really didn't miss much at all. It was strange.

They had Pitbull and Jennifer Lopez singing apparently - could not hear a word. Although that may not necessarily be a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)

In other news, other League 2 fans watching the WC, that stadium in the 666 advert with Harry Redknapp was Oxford United's, woo we're famous.
    That is the perfect description. I am quite surprised how many empty seats there were too.

ReputationRep:
    That is the perfect description. I am quite surprised how many empty seats there were too.
    They're probably saving their money for the Olympics..

ReputationRep:
    They're probably saving their money for the Olympics..
    Probably.

The opening ceremony can't get much worse.

ReputationRep:
    Probably.

The opening ceremony can't get much worse.
    Who ever thought that what football fans want is two hours of people dancing in costumes and a middle aged bald man miming a crap song?

ReputationRep:

Fingers crossed you get enough money off the back of it to build a fourth stand

ReputationRep:
    Who ever thought that what football fans want is two hours of people dancing in costumes and a middle aged bald man miming a crap song?
    Exactly!

All the Brazilians had to do was hold a fancy carnival and everyone would be happy!

ReputationRep:

Thought it was.

In similar news, the new Yorkshire bank advert circles above Bootham Crescent! And the VoiceOver goes 'we look after what you love'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Fingers crossed you get enough money off the back of it to build a fourth stand
    We like having three thank you

Exactly!

All the Brazilians had to do was hold a fancy carnival and everyone would be happy!
    And yet, so far they've messed it up. I just saw Neymar get injured running on the pitch, imagine if that was his World Cup over.

(Original post by bun)
    Thought it was.

In similar news, the new Yorkshire bank advert circles above Bootham Crescent! And the VoiceOver goes 'we look after what you love'.
    League 2 really profiting from the World Cup advertisements we're 20/1 to win the league, as opposed to last year where we were one of the favourites!

ReputationRep:
    Here we go!

ReputationRep:

League 2 really profiting from the World Cup advertisements we're 20/1 to win the league, as opposed to last year where we were one of the favourites!
    Might also be because our new GM has come from high up the Yorkshire bank management echelons

Haha oh dear!
    I'm surprised by that, still reckon you'll be there or there abouts come the end.
    We're spending a lot on the non playing side of things to improve the club (training facilities, better coaches, improved academy, new performance analysis software etc) and not spending much whatsoever on players (all been brought in on frees so far, and out of favour players, so not very high wages either). Reckon we'll be mod table at best, but in 2/3 years we should be pushing for automatic

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.