Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    im just costing her so much money :sad:
    Yeah, but on the other side the biggest step towards being able to support yourself is your degree. Now you have an education and that is in most cases the prerequisite for a stable job, which covers more than just the bills. And regarding how difficult it is for you, I think she is very proud of you and graduation is really something which you can celebrate with your mom together and what is somehow also a gift from you to her! Not saying one should graduate only for your parents, but it is somehow the motivation, as you said, to show that you are capable and to give back.

So be proud of what you have achieved and look forward to your graduation, as something, your mom has every right to be proud of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tillybop)
    Hi Guys

Sorry about the troll that seemed to pass through. All evidence of their presence has now been removed. :ninja:

Just a quick reminder, try not to respond to trolls, because most of the time it only makes matters worse.

Hope you're all ok
    I am not a troll. I have narcissistic personality disorder. Stop being so ableist.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Didn't see their posts but the placebo effect is a pretty interesting thing to look into. I'm going to take a wild guess and say they decided that because placebos work, the person must not have been suffering from anything in the first place. Which is *******s. Sugar pills work on all kinds of non-fictitious illnesses, for reasons nobody quite understands. Doesn't mean the person wasn't suffering from an illness in the first place, just means that they're human and susceptible to this weird effect that we find hard to account for.
    They basically said placebo's work and that 90% of the pills we're taking are just sugar pills? Something along those lines. I thought the 'troll' was perfectly reasonable in their posts. Maybe a little hostile but I did agree with them and a viewpoint that shouldn't have been binned just because it wasn't of the general consensus in this thread.

(Original post by purple-duck)
    I think the way he posted was just a bit combative possibly? :dontknow: Didn't really know what I'd have said to him the way he posted, don't know I don't know enough about it myself I suppose

Hope you're doing okay at the moment Deyesy - are you starting Uni soon? I can't remember
    Yeah it was slightly combative, so they could've gone about it a different way but they had a point. Placebo's can and do work, if you don't know you're actually taking one. Studies into it aren't very ethical but they show 'sugar pills' can work.

Starting 1st year proper on Saturday. Starting to get really, really, really anxious about the thought of trying to fit in. I know I just disappear in large groups. How're you mate?

(Original post by Asexual Demigod)
    I am not a troll. I have narcissistic personality disorder. Stop being so ableist.
    This wasn't aimed at you It was aimed at another poster who decided to post about placebo's I can see why you may have thought it as you've been accused of being a troll - and wrongly so imho; but I'd try to not jump to conclusions? - Easier said than done I know.

ReputationRep:
    :hmmm: Confused as to what gives you the right to accuse a (particularly lovely) person of disability discrimination?

ReputationRep:
    :hmmm: Confused as to what gives you the right to accuse a (particularly lovely) person of disability discrimination?
    ^^ this. We loves you Tilly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    They basically said placebo's work and that 90% of the pills we're taking are just sugar pills? Something along those lines. I thought the 'troll' was perfectly reasonable in their posts. Maybe a little hostile but I did agree with them and a viewpoint that shouldn't have been binned just because it wasn't of the general consensus in this thread.
    :yy: Thanks for the info. I do generally find that the MH mods have pretty good judgement when it comes to people causing trouble though, and it does sound like people got upset about what was said/how it was said.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    :yy: Thanks for the info. I do generally find that the MH mods have pretty good judgement when it comes to people causing trouble though, and it does sound like people got upset about what was said/how it was said.
    Well I hope it was the way the poster went about posting their opinion that caused it to be binned, not the opinion itself. Absolutely nothing with the posters viewpoint on placebo's, SSRI's and the other groups of medication. Though I expect to be in the microscopic minority with this view.

ReputationRep:
    Well I hope it was the way the poster went about posting their opinion that caused it to be binned, not the opinion itself. Absolutely nothing with the posters viewpoint on placebo's, SSRI's and the other groups of medication. Though I expect to be in the microscopic minority with this view.
    It was the way it was said, and i think the fact he then went on to call panda stupid and some other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Parents sign up for that kind of thing when they become parents! Honestly me and my sister have cost our parents a bucketload over the years, and occasionally it's pissed my mum or dad off a bit. But at the end of the day it's your family, and they want to help you. So accept the money, and just remember it a few years down the line when it's you that's better off and happier because of what your parents did for you.
    i know, but just feel awful.
    my nanny had given me money for this, and none of it has gone on graduation :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Um, is anyone paying attention to me? I'm not a troll.

ReputationRep:
    Well I hope it was the way the poster went about posting their opinion that caused it to be binned, not the opinion itself. Absolutely nothing with the posters viewpoint on placebo's and SSRI's. Though I expect to be in the microscopic minority with this view.
    :dontknow: I've already attested to my belief in the power of the placebo. But although I think there's plenty of room for debate in this society (), coming in with the deliberate aim of provoking controversy definitely isn't on, and will lead to people POUNCING.

(Original post by PandaWho)
    i know, but just feel awful.
    my nanny had given me money for this, and none of it has gone on graduation :sad:
    Trust me we've all been there, money has a habit of getting itself spent. :sadnod: Maybe you could ask your family to help you manage your money better in future, like get them to hold back an emergency fund for you that you pay into weekly or something?

ReputationRep:
    Getting so upset about all my friends leaving for uni! I don't feel like i'll ever find friends as good as them :cry2:

ReputationRep:

Trust me we've all been there, money has a habit of getting itself spent. :sadnod:
    No we haven't. I am very careful with my money.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    It was the way it was said, and i think the fact he then went on to call panda stupid and some other stuff.
    If that is the case, I have no problem with it being binned. I just know users in here tend to jump on people's back if they post opinions which don't fit in with theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaaa)
    Getting so upset about all my friends leaving for uni! I don't feel like i'll ever find friends as good as them :cry2:
    Now now, there's hardly any need to think so naively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    I have narcissistic personality disorder. By criticising the way I express myself you're being ableist.

ReputationRep:
    Um, is anyone paying attention to me? I'm not a troll.
    I was going to humorously ignore this, but then I remembered that I think you owe Tillybop an apology. You owe Tillybop an apology.

ReputationRep:
    If that is the case, I have no problem with it being binned. I just know users in here tend to jump on people's back if they post opinions which don't fit in with theirs.
    was also the fact that they had their facts wrong, claiming that the main diagnostic tool in the UK was a HAM-D or something which i know i for one has never heard of
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I have narcissistic personality disorder. By criticising the way I express myself you're being ableist.
    They're talking about a different user, whose posts were removed earlier :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I agree, tbh. I tend to hold back on debates etc here cause I see some things very differently to the norm, and know I will be pounced on for it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.