Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoemccarthy34)
    Please help me with QR I never finish all the questions and im doing so bad with it
    Practice your mental maths and using the keyboard for the calculator, saves valuable time. Revise percentage changes using gcse bitesize until you know it like the back of your hand as they tend to come up a lot in QR. If you do these things, just practice lots and lots and you'll get faster with time. If you're really stuggling on a question just guess, flag and move on. Sometimes you can take an educated guess based on information eg. "Find the average for this set of data" you can sometimes do without a calculator because if there are answers given that are above/below the highest/lowest number in the set then you know it won't be those answers. Use ukcat ninja's QR question bank, there's a lot of questions to practice with and they seem to be the same sort of difficulty as the actual exam.

Good luck, hope everything goes well!

ReputationRep:
    hello!
    PLEASE HELP - question for those who have done their exam: what source would you say is the most representative for VR? (apart from medify)

Thank youu

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    Just done the UKCAT but I don't know what to think about my score (i think its good but i need advice), I got 703 on average. I am currently studying BSc Optometry and on track to get a 2.1 or a first, I have ABC (Biology, Maths, History) to A2 and Chemistry AS to grade c. I want to apply for Medicine (not fussed between 5 or 4 year course as long as I hopefully get in!!). I am working in a hospital optometry department so i think work exp is sorted. I really wanted to apply to Kings but not sure if I would stand a chance with a 700 ukcat for the graduate course and i heard they don't consider you for the undergrad course if you haven't applied for the 4 year course. GAMSAT is a bit too late now to consider and I don't really want to do the BMAT as it clashes with uni clinical exams. Could someone please advice which unis I have a good shot at and which course (four or five)! Would be very much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    hello!
    PLEASE HELP - question for those who have done their exam: what source would you say is the most representative for VR? (apart from medify)

Thank youu
    Hi
    I found VR is not the hardest but harshest marked. Medify isn't great for VR IMO I think it can underprepare you, the 1000 Question book may be better in terms of difficulty of the actual questions.

ReputationRep:
    hey,

I'm finding it really hard to use the calculator on the official UKCAT website and it's really stressing me out. Like for medify, pressing the backspace key would erase the data in the calculator but the calculator on the UKCAT website requires you to actually click 'On/C' to erase the data.

Please could someone let me know of any shortcuts that would make my life easier because it's making me hella stressed

Also, is the calculator in the real thing similar to the one on medify or the UKCAT website?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    It's the same as on medify, where backspace clears the calculator.
    For the practice test calculator, 'esc' clears it, which is not the actual hotkey in the exam..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred5134)
    For the practice test calculator, 'esc' clears it, which is not the actual hotkey in the exam..
    Yess that makes me feel a lot better - thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Is everything else the same too? So can you use '*' '-' '+' '/' normally without having to click the buttons on the onscreen calculator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    Is everything else the same too? So can you use '*' '-' '+' '/' normally without having to click the buttons on the onscreen calculator?
    Yes, just make sure that the numlock is on. Also, I've heard someone else mention that the calculator will close every time you move to the next question, so alt + c to bring it back up..

ReputationRep:
    How is 703 as a score?? (please see my last post!)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, just make sure that the numlock is on. Also, I've heard someone else mention that the calculator will close every time you move to the next question, so alt + c to bring it back up..
    cool, thanks again for your help x

ReputationRep:
    I'm an undergraduate applicant and was wondering if anyone knows where my stats might be okay?
    GCSE: 4A*, 7A
    AS results: AABC (maths, biology, chemistry, music respictively)
    A level pred: A*AA for maths, bio and chem (and A* WBQ)
    UKCAT: 1990 (663.3 AV) VR:590 QR:740 AR:660 SJT: Band 2

I have done a weeks work experience in a GPs surgery, volunteered for a few months at a care home and have a Saturday job in a pharmacy as a HCA.I've also done a trek to Everest base camp for charity (don't know if that will help at all?)I'm thinking of applying Manchester, St. Georges, Plymouth and I don't know where else, any advice atall would be appreciated☺️

ReputationRep:
    Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫
    I sat the UKCAT test today and averaged 550.
    VR: 600
    QR: 400
    AR: 650
    Game over for medicine for me i guess 🙍🏻🔫

I got 2 A*s, 4 As and 5 Bs at GCSE
    AABB at AS
    Predicted AAA for Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

I was hoping to apply for Barts (coz its local to me), UCL (im part of their Widening participation Medicine scheme), Southampton and Manchester.

Guys are these bad choices for uni, as in, do you think I have a chance for interview there? And based on my current qualifications, where would you guys advice I should apply to? I an just LOST!!! All advice would be appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El3398)
    I'm an undergraduate applicant and was wondering if anyone knows where my stats might be okay?
    GCSE: 4A*, 7A
    AS results: AABC (maths, biology, chemistry, music respictively)
    A level pred: A*AA for maths, bio and chem (and A* WBQ)
    UKCAT: 1990 (663.3 AV) VR:590 QR:740 AR:660 SJT: Band 2

I have done a weeks work experience in a GPs surgery, volunteered for a few months at a care home and have a Saturday job in a pharmacy as a HCA.I've also done a trek to Everest base camp for charity (don't know if that will help at all?)I'm thinking of applying Manchester, St. Georges, Plymouth and I don't know where else, any advice atall would be appreciated☺️

You're so lucky!!! I wish I was in your situation!
    I would advice, based on your results, you should give Cardiff a shot!!

I wrote my results above. Please help me! 😫😫

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarabegum12)
    Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫
    There are many bmat universities, or universities that don't use the ukcat such as liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫

AABB at AS

I was hoping to apply for Barts (coz its local to me), UCL (im part of their Widening participation Medicine scheme), Southampton and Manchester.

Guys are these bad choices for uni, as in, do you think I have a chance for interview there? And based on my current qualifications, where would you guys advice I should apply to? I an just LOST!!! All advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Do the BMAT bro. You are UCL anyway so they use bmat. Apply to the other gmat unis. How did you revise for VR? what was the best method?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    hello!
    PLEASE HELP - a question to those people who have done their exam - what would you guys say is the most representative source for VR (apart from medify)???

Thank youuu!
    I used the 1200 question UKCAT which was about the same/slightly easier. I also used the ISC question book which was deffo harder so would recommend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•;[url="tel:67475766")
    67475766[/url]]Do the BMAT bro. You are UCL anyway so they use bmat. Apply to the other gmat unis. How did you revise for VR? what was the best method?
    For VR and even SJ, the 'UKCAT ninja' website helped. Loads of free practice and it explains where you went wrong.

Guys, i posted my grades above as well as my UKCAT score. Do you think these are good enough for Medicine. Also, I was considering Foundation Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫

AABB at AS

Id probably say avoid Southampton and Manchester because they look quite heavily at the UKCAT, Bristol don't look at it much so possibly there? However because they don't use the UKCAT as much it means that they have a much higher place/applicant ratio

ReputationRep:
    Will they be adjusting the threshold for applicants this year as they are only scoring on three sections?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.