Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-x)
    If you can't see the link between probability and odds there is truly no hope for you.
    to be fair I didn't no anything about odds until I was 15

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    But we were talking about odds
    Since we're being pedantic, what actually happened was that he said:

1 in 20 chance of winning. Thats before we take in to account the ability of teams, history etc.
    And then you said:

First of all it would be 20/1, not 1/20.
    and you were wrong.

ReputationRep:
    We should be trying to sign Thiago Alacantara. Incredible player.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell are you on about? :lolwut:

Odds of 20/1 mean if you put on £1 you get £20 back if you're right, which is what he meant as he was saying all teams have an equal chance at the beginning. Odds of 1/20 (what he said) means if you put on £20 you get £1 back which is obviously not right.

If you're going to correct someone you could at least bother to be right...
    What is the point of all this nitpicking? You clearly understood what I meant and if would like to exercise your probability and betting skills, take an exam or head to your nearest betting shop. It boils down to the fact that all teams have an equal opportunity to win the title. Thats it- nothing more, nothing less. It seems obvious but the manner in which Arsenal are being slated on this forum is ridiculous and thought it just had to be pointed out.

Yes we may not have the best group of players to actually win but its the time of the year where making any predictions is a tad pointless and we should all at least wait until the transfer window closes cause I don't think we are that far of from actually winning the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Can Pellegrini even speak English? What does he think Baines' weakness' are? It takes time to learn English football. Not saying he's a mug, but he's never won a trophy in Europe even with the trillions at Real/Malaga. The La Liga Moyes?

Mourinho was sacked last time by RA, lets not deny that. I reckon Mourinho could fall out with a priest, so I honestly could see him sacked. Lets not forget the Casillas shambles, so his man management is hit and miss. Unpredictable.

Fergie gives Utd more than 10. He was the best manager in British history.

Dont underestimate Wenger. He is a wiley old fox who's managed to pay for the Emirates by spending nothing. Imagine if he gets Higuain(and maybe Fellaini etc) and not losing any of his men. He is the best manager in the EPL now and Arsenal have some quality players like Wilshere, Cazorla, Koscileny. As I say, I dont expect a title but the people writing Wenger off need to realise what's changed for him.

How have the exams gone fella?
    Ancelotti couldn't speak english and we won the double, could have won the CL too if we didn't face inter in the first round but oh well. Pellegrini had a weak team. Malaga are under financial pressure. He couldn't win many trophies there and at villareal he did very well there getting top 4 regularly in a two horse league.
    At madrid he was extremely unlucky, he got a record points total yet came second because barca were brilliant that season.

I'll get my results in a couple weeks, I think most went well so I'll see what I get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    What is the point of all this nitpicking? You clearly understood what I meant and if would like to exercise your probability and betting skills, take an exam or head to your nearest betting shop. It boils down to the fact that all teams have an equal opportunity to win the title. Thats it- nothing more, nothing less. It seems obvious but the manner in which Arsenal are being slated on this forum is ridiculous and thought it just had to be pointed out.

Yes we may not have the best group of players to actually win but its the time of the year where making any predictions is a tad pointless and we should all at least wait until the transfer window closes cause I don't think we are that far of from actually winning the title.
    Not much point to it really, the main point was that the bolded bit is complete bull

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Since we're being pedantic, what actually happened was that he said:

And then you said:

and you were wrong.
    No, what actually happened was he said something along the lines of

every team has 1/20 odds of winning the league
    Then I said

You clearly have no knowledge of odds or probability
    THEN he slightly changed the wording and said

1 in 20 chance of winning
    But he appears to have deleted his original 1/20 comment as if you follow the chain of comments by clicking original post it ends up saying you do not have permission to access this page.

Yes this doesn't matter, that point was secondary to the main point that clearly every team doesn't have an equal chance of winning the league.

ReputationRep:

Then I said

But he appears to have deleted his original 1/20 comment as if you follow the chain of comments by clicking original post it ends up saying you do not have permission to access this page.

Yes this doesn't matter, that point was secondary to the main point that clearly every team doesn't have an equal chance of winning the league.
    1/20 odds is a fraction which is what is used in maths for probability. He did not say anything about betting

But yeah, not every team has an equal chance of winning the league if you look at it logically

ReputationRep:

no, teams don't have an "equal chance of winning the title". I used to work for Ladbrokes and help calculate sports related odds, and it certainly goes beyond year 9 mathematics. if you would like me to go in detail just reply

ReputationRep:

Then I said

Not deleted any post. Although I now wish I hadn't said anything Was just depressing coming on here and listening to people rant about how Arsenal don't have any chance of winning the title (or any trophy for that matter) and just suppressing all hope before the season has even begun. Anyway, I'm sure we will all be in a much cheery mood this time next season when we've ended our trophy drought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someguy123456)
    no, teams don't have an "equal chance of winning the title". I used to work for Ladbrokes and help calculate sports related odds, and it certainly goes beyond year 9 mathematics. if you would like me to go in detail just reply
    No I'm alright, I'm fully aware of how betting odds work and if you actually look carefully at my argument you'd notice that I wasn't referring to any betting odds to make make my point. My point obviously got lost in the semantics of the argument but my only intention was to provide some belief to my fellow gunners. Maybe the difference between us and the fans of the rest of the teams are that we give up far too easily (before the season has even started!)

ReputationRep:
    Not deleted any post. Although I now wish I hadn't said anything Was just depressing coming on here and listening to people rant about how Arsenal don't have any chance of winning the title (or any trophy for that matter) and just suppressing all hope before the season has even begun. Anyway, I'm sure we will all be in a much cheery mood this time next season when we've ended our trophy drought
    I agree with you, I think some people are afraid to say arsenal have the ability to win the title. I'm sure after some signings optimism and belief will start to grow amongst the fans. Next season I can see a trophy at least

ReputationRep:
    No I'm alright, I'm fully aware of how betting odds work and if you actually look carefully at my argument you'd notice that I wasn't referring to any betting odds to make make my point. My point obviously got lost in the semantics of the argument but my only intention was to provide some belief to my fellow gunners. Maybe the difference between us and the fans of the rest of the teams are that we give up far too easily (before the season has even started!)
    you're not really doing the fans a favor because the odds of arsenal winning the league through the bookmakers is less than 20/1

ReputationRep:
    you're not really doing the fans a favor because the odds of arsenal winning the league through the bookmakers is less than 20/1
    ffs, if youre going to quote me then at least make sure your point has something that adds to the argument. The exact same point has been raised numerous times on here and I'm not going justify why I said what I said again.

ReputationRep:
    ffs, if youre going to quote me then at least make sure your point has something that adds to the argument. The exact same point has been raised numerous times on here and I'm not going justify why I said what I said again.
    and the chances of messi winning the balon d'or is 23/1

see how stupid it sounds when you factor out everything?

ReputationRep:
    Serious stupidity on here...

ReputationRep:
    and the chances of messi winning the balon d'or is 23/1

see how stupid it sounds when you factor out everything?
    Actually its 1/(number of footballers in the world) until the nominees are shown if you use his logic

Come on guys, it's pretty clear what the spirit of jibberish's post was. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Five thumbs down for saying we should be trying to sign a player who is unhappy at his current club and is available for £18million...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boner in joggers)
    Five thumbs down for saying we should be trying to sign a player who is unhappy at his current club and is available for £18million...
    Why do you care if you get negged ? That transfer seems highly unlikely anyway

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.