Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    No, the voting was extended for 3 days after the GE...
    Some of which was in extraordinary circumstances. In any case, it's almost 2 months since an election, it's not like we're having another vote within a fortnight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Some of which was in extraordinary circumstances. In any case, it's almost 2 months since an election, it's not like we're having another vote within a fortnight.
    An election where the turnout was already well below expectations...

Seriously, it's Ray's decision constitutionally, but I'll be interested to see what happens because personally I can't see how Labour realistically hope it to return a more favourable result for them.

ReputationRep:
    Not that I'm advocating it but I support the PM having such power and would oppose such a petition.

ReputationRep:
    Should there be another election, I'm pretty confident will lose seats as a result of losing the real-life boost complemented with its popularity, so do what you want.

ReputationRep:
    I would most probably defend any constitutional rights but if Ray decides to call a General Election, it will only further disqualify the Labour party from the Government and pretty much any cross-party effort because they apparently managed to burn every bridge they could already and going against the wishes of pretty much everyone else and common sense and unnecessarily bothering TSR would be flogging a dead horse and probably the final nail in the coffin (I love idioms). I think he is/they are smart enough to realise that so it might indeed be better to just resign and let us get over with this ASAP.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    An election where the turnout was already well below expectations...
    Seriously, it's Ray's decision constitutionally, but I'll be interested to see what happens because personally I can't see how Labour realistically hope it to return a more favourable result for them.
    Yes, 15 seats was a fairly historic result and we're unlikely to ever see it repeated, I agree.

A decision is unlikely to be made without serious thought put into strategy - and that's why we're a bit miffed about the VoNC being so early - not that it's in anyone else's interest of course for Labour to have time to build its strategy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 15 seats was a fairly historic result and we're unlikely to ever see it repeated, I agree.
    A decision is unlikely to be made without serious thought put into strategy - and that's why we're a bit miffed about the VoNC being so early - not that it's in anyone else's interest of course for Labour to have time to build its strategy.
    And whilst I understand that you're miffed, it is not reasonable for any non-Government MP elected to serve their party or indeed the country as a whole depending on your point of view to be Labour's interests first.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    And whilst I understand that you're miffed, it is not reasonable for any non-Government MP elected to serve their party or indeed the country as a whole depending on your point of view to be Labour's interests first.
    It's understandable, and that's why I've been less public in airing my disappointment than some of my colleagues, but it would have been nice to at least wait 24 hours or something and let everyone digest the news of your withdrawal.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A few housekeeping announcements from Labour:

* The Legal Eagle has resigned his post as Deputy Leader and as an MP.
    * He has been replaced as an MP by United1892.
    * The deputy leadership election process is underway, with three candidates in the running. They may or may not wish to identify themselves, but please don't hassle Labour members like some did to the Tories during their election.
    * honeywell17 has gone on holiday until 21 July and localblackguy will proxy for him.
    * Enoxial is also on holiday until 21 July and Kalail will proxy for him.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Honeywell is a girl?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Honeywell is a girl?
    I actually thought the same thing at first, but no.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I actually thought the same thing at first, but no.
    But I pictured them like Miss Honey from Matilda.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    But I pictured them like Miss Honey from Matilda.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    With reference to the budget, just how big a torpedo was the 9 pound living wage by 2020 for Labour.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    With reference to the budget, just how big a torpedo was the 9 pound living wage by 2020 for Labour.
    We'll see how close £9 is to the actual living wage by 2020.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Not at all. Saying it will be implemented by 5 years is hardly a big winner for the parties on the left. Since Milliband offered more.

A good token for those who want to appear left mind.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    As Ray will be away for the next three days, and with the deputy leadership election not yet complete, I will be stepping in as acting leader during that time.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    As Ray will be away for the next three days, and with the deputy leadership election not yet complete, I will be stepping in as acting leader during that time.
    Who will have rays vote? Or should we assume that that will be you?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Who will have rays vote? Or should we assume that that will be you?
    As I'm only expecting Ray to be away for 3 days, he should be able to vote on everything from tonight onwards when he is back. If for whatever reason we're running close to a deadline, I will look to appoint a proxy.

ReputationRep:
    As I'm only expecting Ray to be away for 3 days, he should be able to vote on everything from tonight onwards when he is back. If for whatever reason we're running close to a deadline, I will look to appoint a proxy.
    Sure you could always vote for him, and give yourself 2 MP seats; just like Ray does for others

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.