ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1525)
    I'm in the same boat

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've been rejected too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhino1352)
    You've been rejected too?
    I think so, got an email saying track has updated, but can't get on it arghhhhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhino1352)
    Yeah, last Monday, gutted
    Sorry to hear that.

So surprised they're sending out rejections this early. Has anyone else heard anything?

ReputationRep:
    Why do they ask for the financial undertaking form for the Graduate Entry? Is it not funded by the NHS? Is it not the whole point of applying to Grad Medicine rather than undergraduate the fact that the former is funded and the latter is not? Don't they have the "generous scholarships" advertised on the web?It is so unfair. Students cannot be withdrawn based on their finances and their parents'. That is the most shallow, elitist thing that can be done. Sorry, I am quite harsh but this form doesn't make any sense to me at all. I have been rejected by Cambridge. Bad day for me. One of the many bad days I had in England. You learn something from rejections too. I have learned that the qualities that made me achieve so much in the States with Master and PhD in Princeton in Bioethics give me no advantage. I will never keep up with the sciences the way it is needed.
    Congratulations. {QUOTE=YeloSweetPotato;61276445]To those completing the financial undertaking form for Cambridge - and perhaps especially those who have completed one previously.

How significant is the risk of the offer being withdrawn if
    - your parents do not earn much (income slips of the pas years show a quite terrible amount as the income of my parents has fluctuated over the past years and is only stabilising and slightly increasig now)
    - but you have just enough to fund all of the course if you put together your parents' savings (which they are willing to contribute), your own savings and the loans you will very probably get?

Thanks, help would be SO appreciated as I'm very anxious that I won't be able to meet the requirements and they might only let us know by May?[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    Sorry to hear that.

So surprised they're sending out rejections this early. Has anyone else heard anything?
    My track apparently updated but when i logged in it said nothing had changed, so guess it was a false alarm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanaUS)
    I am very sorry to hear about the rejection. I felt very down last year but I can only imagine that it is worse for you after having gone farther down the route. I genunely wish you all the best with the other choices.

I have been unhappy with this form too, but after emailing the admissions tutor for clarification I understand that the aim of it is not to eliminate students who will not afford it, but it is more of a check that students understand that Cambridge is not going to offer them support when they suddenly run out of resources to fund themselves during the course, and that they understand that the course is so rigorous that part-time work is not recommended. The admissions tutor also said that the student probably withdrew voluntarily in the past after discussing her situation more thoroughly with the university.
    So ... I am still slightly anxious about this issue but hopeful that no offer will be withdrawn from any applicatns who have done a few calculations before applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YeloSweetPotato)
    I understand that the aim of it is not to eliminate students who will not afford it, but it is more of a check that students understand that Cambridge is not going to offer them support when they suddenly run out of resources to fund themselves during the course, .
    Its also to weed out the students who haven't actually realised the ££ issues at an early stage rather than in May/June or even later, to free up offers for those who have actually done their homework re. funding. You might be surprised that second undergrad degrees like Grad Med, along with Grad Vet etc, al ALL Unis, get applicants and even interview folk who have not even thought about 'money' at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Its also to weed out the students who haven't actually realised the ££ issues at an early stage rather than in May/June or even later, to free up offers for those who have actually done their homework re. funding. You might be surprised that second undergrad degrees like Grad Med, along with Grad Vet etc, al ALL Unis, get applicants and even interview folk who have not even thought about 'money' at all.
    I seem to remember Oxford settling out of court when their "affordability" test for a masters course was contested on exactly the grounds that it discriminated against those that couldn't afford to pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanaUS)
    Why do they ask for the financial undertaking form for the Graduate Entry? Is it not funded by the NHS? Is it not the whole point of applying to Grad Medicine rather than undergraduate the fact that the former is funded and the latter is not?
    Graduate medicine isn't NHS funded. Out of the total £36,000 tuition cost, the NHS covers only £9,000 (ish) - you get a student loan for up to £24,000, and pay another £3,000 upfront, under terms which haven't even been confirmed for next year. EU students don't get the loan. Then you have to live on something - last year, less than £6000 either as a maintenance loan in year 1 or loans and NHS grants/bursaries years 2-4. This is also up in the air given the last budget which abolished nursing bursaries.

Given that Oxford discourage students from working on the 5 year course, let alone the more intensive four year course, some financial undertaking seems sensible...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, congratulations to all who got an interview (most recently from Warwick) and omg already offers from Cambridge for some. Well done to you all and good luck navigating the last obstacles (re: proof of funding etc.).

Just one question, perhaps for those with experience or knowledge of previous application cycles: are unis like Newcastle and Southampton holding a second round of interviews in February or was this pretty much it for the 2016 start?
    I remember Newcastled advertised at some point the dates of 24/26 Feb for interviews (alongside the dates in January). Have Newcastle, Southampton (and dare I say Warwick) ever held a second round of iterviews?

PS: Commiserations to those with rejections. It is painful to receive (and difficult to accept) them at any stage in the process, and under any form they come - as I can attest...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipo209)
    Hey guys, congratulations to all who got an interview (most recently from Warwick) and omg already offers from Cambridge for some. Well done to you all and good luck navigating the last obstacles (re: proof of funding etc.).

Just one question, perhaps for those with experience or knowledge of previous application cycles: are unis like Newcastle and Southampton holding a second round of interviews in February or was this pretty much it for the 2016 start?
    I remember Newcastled advertised at some point the dates of 24/26 Feb for interviews (alongside the dates in January). Have Newcastle, Southampton (and dare I say Warwick) ever held a second round of iterviews?

PS: Commiserations to those with rejections. It is painful to receive (and difficult to accept) them at any stage in the process, and under any form they come - as I can attest...
    Last year Southampton did a second round of interviews because they hadn't filled up their offers yet. This year at Newcastle I got an option to select 26th February as an interview date, so I'm not sure if they're going to send more out or not.

ReputationRep:
    hi guys. congrats for those with cambridge offers. if i may ask what are your credentials and what experience do you have. I didn't apply for cambridge this year but if i re apply next year i would like to apply. many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    For everyone still waiting for Barts, I got a confirmation that interview invitations are still going out

Hang in there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How are people preparing for MMIs?

ReputationRep:
    Barts have started to give out their A100 interviews now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali.s1002)
    How are people preparing for MMIs?
    Think about the likely composition of the stations- ethics/teamwork/recent developments in medicine/personal motivation/soft skills and how you want to be able to demonstrate your aptitude in them. If you cover all of these areas and have an inside out knowledge of your personal statement it's a good position to start from. In terms of revising for all of that, make sure you cover off the basics of each area before going into more depth. Remember how to give structure to your answers too; ultimately the test is of if the tutors can imagine you as a doctor- if you can't communicate in a clear, structured and considered way it doesn't really matter how good your knowledge of medical science is.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.