Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    Yes there's no comparison to be made, when did Giroud score the winner in a big game?

He's mainly reliant on his physicality, which encompasses him playing and holding off defenders to lay the ball off, and then when in the box to get the jump on CB's. He's good at it, very good but Diego is all action, he can run the channels, he's pacy, strong, can dribble, immense work rate and lethal.
    What counts as a winning goal? I'm guessing you think the goal against city and Liverpool don't count as one? So costa only has one all season, not that impressive for a striker that you're fawning over as a big game striker.

Giroud doesn't rely on his physicality. Been a weak pounce and complaining when he doesn't get decision when he's been barged off the ball is an idiosyncrasy of his and actually one of the criticism people have of him- it gathers a good few groans from the Emirates crowd. He's also very good at running the channel, the guy makes excellent runs especially in his first season before wenger changed it overwhelmingly to him linking up with everyone else. Watch him please.

Only thing I'd complain about giroud is his lack of ability to beat a man one on one.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...Roy-Keane.html

Can't help but agree here. Only the arsenal players are on social media posting dressing picture after a win. I'm sure I won't find any from united beating San Jose challengers or whatever yanks they beat.

****ing disgraceful really, only trumped by celebrating reaching the FA Cup final after the giant killing and current holder Wigan on penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom y humber)
    What counts as a winning goal? I'm guessing you think the goal against city and Liverpool don't count as one? So costa only has one all season, not that impressive for a striker that you're fawning over as a big game striker.

Giroud doesn't rely on his physicality. Been a weak pounce and complaining when he doesn't get decision when he's been barged off the ball is an idiosyncrasy of his and actually one of the criticism people have of him- it gathers a good few groans from the Emirates crowd. He's also very good at running the channel, the guy makes excellent runs especially in his first season before wenger changed it overwhelmingly to him linking up with everyone else. Watch him please.

Only thing I'd complain about giroud is his lack of ability to beat a man one on one.
    No I already said that the City goal was a big game goal, why on earth would a 93rd minute goal to make it 4-1 count as a big goal?

Well yes he does, just because he's a moaning **** at times doesn't mean he's not about blooding off defenders to lay the ball of or play a short pass to a nearby midfielder. He can't run the channels like Diego btw, doesn't have the pace or the dribbling ability. Idk where this argument is even going, whether you think he's on Costa's level (lol?) or you're just looking for a fight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Meh, if the best Barcelona team of all season can't break down a bus that has Jose Bosingwa playing as a Centre-back, how on earth is an attack consisting of Demba Ba, Torres, Salah and Eto'o going to do it at Palace away. Not to mention their goal was a Terry header where he did everything right, just poor communication between himself and Cech.

Think City and Liverpool only managing to get 84/85 points whilst scoring over 100 goals is worse considering the attacks they had/and City the defence. Pelligreni owes the refs so much, because CIty should have been home and dry in April with that squad.

Not saying we didn't f*ck up, refs had a bigger impact on our results than other sides, Skrtel punching the ball away against City for example. Games played in other competitions does matter as well. Liverpool were playing one game a week, bar maybe two a week every 3 weeks and even that was only till March for the FA Cup, from January to May. City had the league cup so the two semi's, plus making up their games missed, whilst we had the FA Cup and Champions League ties away to Turkey, PSG and Atletico. Was surprised by how good your side was, but playing one game a week certainly had an enormous effect.

82 points isn't even a bad amount of points really, that would have won you the league in 2012 iirc.
    Meh, I think Mourinho was not at his best that year.
    Eto'o and Ba should have been the main strikers that year and Mourinho decided to play Torres the entire season for some unknown reason. We'd have most likely won the title had we had a consistently good striker or swapped the damn strikers.

The parameters that you are judged as when you are a world class manager are much more than other managers of top teams. Guardiola is getting loads of stick for his Bayern performances e.g. yet he's won 2 league titles at a canter and 2 CL semis. These managers are meant to do more than what the normal manager can do with these squads(e.g. Alex Ferguson).

(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    Salah is a good player, Mourinho didn't coach him well. Likewise Ba, who came up with the big goals as soon as he got given games. Eto'o scored at a rate that only 3 people have ever better over their PL careers. Mourinho chose Torres and neglected the others and it comes down to him. There's no relevance to the Barca crap anyway.

Never mind what the others did, focus on what you did. 82 is poor and nowhere near what a club with the team and squad Chelsea had that season should be getting. Mourinho was poor that year.
    It's hard to say Mourinho was poor, but I'd say that he was not at his best.
    82 points in the context of the league is 2 wins away. 4 points off the leaders, while also being in a CL semi final isn't as bad as people make out. Chelsea's team at the time wasn't that strong, there was no quality CM, and our strikers were between good and poor. Eto'o had a good strike rate, but his goal to mins ratio is skewed a little by games like vs United at home. We could have won, but tell me a manager other than Mourinho who would have won the title with that squad in 13/14?

Bare in mind that the past 4 teams to win the premiership were knocked out early in the CL/europa league(i.e. before april's run of fixtures). It's no coincidence that the lack of games allows teams who are not too far from each other in quality to get a competitive advantage in the league. I guess United's run in 12/13 is the only time where that hasn't been relevant. Liverpool's run in 13/14 is completely relevant to this e.g. and Chelsea in 14/15, City and United getting 89 points in 11/12 is also another example.

ReputationRep:

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    So Wenger trusts Walcott up front again

ReputationRep:
    Ty is 45

wot

ReputationRep:
    lol at people still thinking the Invincibles is actually the best Premier League team ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    lol at people still thinking the Invincibles is actually the best Premier League team ever.

Age in 2003/04: 7

Remember them do ya?

ReputationRep:
    Are many of our players injured?
    Our bench doesn't look too good.

ReputationRep:
    How is Walcott a good option against a deep sitting defence with no space in behind?

ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1607)
    Are many of our players injured?
    Our bench doesn't look too good.
    Wilshere is being rested because he has a high chance to be injured if he plays, Alexis is still on his rest. Our starting line up is what you would expect without Alexis and Giroud basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    How is Walcott a good option against a deep sitting defence with no space in behind?

ffs
    I think Wenger is trying Walcott against a deep sitting defence because he knows Giroud is the better option but he wants to see what Walcott can do.

ReputationRep:
    It's a glorified friendly ffs. Wenger is probably just fielding out Walcott to see how it goes. Anyways he's more likely to score over Giroud

ReputationRep:

ffs
    Yeah don't seem too good.

Hope for a good game of football. How you feeling about it?

ReputationRep:
    No words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah don't seem too good.

Hope for a good game of football. How you feeling about it?
    It'll fit a similar pattern to most Arsenal/Chelsea games with us probably struggling to find any penetration but being in relatively decent territory. Remy perfect to play on the break of course. Basically Afc need to score first to win, and that will probably come from an individual moment of brilliance like a long shot etc. Chelsea are due an error vs Arsenal as well, Terry has been flawless in recent years. Bellerin is likely to get rinsed on the counter too, given that he wont or cant defend.

I said 3-1 Afc in jest but I think there'll be goals

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad Walcott is upfront. That donkey Giroud has had what? 6 games to try and score against Chelsea but can't. Time to try something new.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want us to not play beautiful football.
    I want sexual football.

ReputationRep:

Age in 2003/04: 7

Remember them do ya?
    I'm 22

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.