Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    It is neither more reputable nor has better networking connections with MC firms. If anything, Durham completely overcame UCL in terms of trainees in firms, despite UCL's almost double size.

Internationally, perhaps yeah, nationally, not at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have friends doing law at Durham and they rarely are visited by firms - UCL on the other hand has weekly visits and thats not an exaggeration, it's every Monday. Of course it has better networking connections as the recruitment figures show for firms and the bar - it'd be hard not to considering the proximity of the firms to the faculty. The UCL law faculty is one of the smallest in the country and is smaller than Durham's so you completely made that up... I try and avoid rankings but this year it's third in the UK for law, over the past few years it's been ranked the best in the UK alongside Oxford, was given perfect scores for teaching and research, currently has heavyweight academics like Colm O# Cinneide, Rick Rawlings, Ben McFarlane, Tom HIckman , articles and other literature produced by UCL Laws vastly outweighs anything from Durham and alumni include Gandhi, Lord Woolf, Chaim Herzog, Lord Jessel etc etc etc, it was ranked 12th best in the world in 2014 for law, Durham can't get in the world top 100 most years. i really do not care where any one goes to uni here, im simply pointing out that UCL is more reputable, prestigious etc etc etc than Durham for Law and internationally yeah, Durham has no name so you'll never get a job in America or elsewhere if that's ever interested you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNDSAN)
    I have friends doing law at Durham and they rarely are visited by firms - UCL on the other hand has weekly visits and thats not an exaggeration, it's every Monday. Of course it has better networking connections as the recruitment figures show for firms and the bar - it'd be hard not to considering the proximity of the firms to the faculty. The UCL law faculty is one of the smallest in the country and is smaller than Durham's so you completely made that up... I try and avoid rankings but this year it's third in the UK for law, over the past few years it's been ranked the best in the UK alongside Oxford, was given perfect scores for teaching and research, currently has heavyweight academics like Colm O# Cinneide, Rick Rawlings, Ben McFarlane, Tom HIckman , articles and other literature produced by UCL Laws vastly outweighs anything from Durham and alumni include Gandhi, Lord Woolf, Chaim Herzog, Lord Jessel etc etc etc, it was ranked 12th best in the world in 2014 for law, Durham can't get in the world top 100 most years. i really do not care where any one goes to uni here, im simply pointing out that UCL is more reputable, prestigious etc etc etc than Durham for Law and internationally yeah, Durham has no name so you'll never get a job in America or elsewhere if that's ever interested you.
    Are you seriously making that comparison? Durham is 3 hours away from London - and its law fairs are still packed.

You do realise it's not only the law faculty that sends trainees to firms right? It's all the faculties, and UCL is about double the size of Durham.

Here are the stats - they are not rankings, they simply measure the numbers.
    http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/whe...d-universities

So no, not making anything up.

Everything else you've mentioned is irrelevant.

(Please use paragraphs when replying!)

ReputationRep:
    In regards to international reputation, where would you guys rank Nottingham as I would like to move to California (I have family there, and lived there when I was very young) and practice law there. I know I would have to do the bar in California but does anyone know how hard this would be to get on to compared to the English bar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Don't forget that Unis also read Personal Statements. For many Unis that carries as much or more weight than qualifications and LNAT combined.

To UKStudent, I suggest you get feedback on your rejections, and take a long and critical look at your PS, then rewrite it. Do some practice LNAT essays, retake LNAT and reapply next year.
    Thank you for supporting words. Yeah, need to go back to the drawing board and re-evaluate my whole application process and further options. I guess I will probably end up going through clearing and get onto any uni law school that takes me, though I'm pinning my hopes on Open Uni or ULaw but don't know how their degrees are held, in what regard, by the leading law firms/or PG law schools for further study. Waiting until next year seems to be difficult given my age is not in my favour (mature student in late thirties). Would see.
    :-|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKStudent2016)
    Got rejection from all 5 choices (mainly Lon unis/those with LNAT requirements), M100 LLB Law A bit perplexed and baffled as my tutor and others were predicting I would have got an offer based on what I have. I think it's possibly down to LNAT due to my low score of 13, which was due to my total misunderstanding of the computerised system and I missed a complete section out. Never sat in a computerised test. It's a pity that as a mature student in early 40s with wealth of experience in fields of both practical and academic areas (e.g. work demanded to comply professional research reports for corporations and gov etc), I couldn't make it through. Certainly my employer wouldn't be impressed, given they would have sponsored for the entire programme, as the degree is closely connected to my area of profession. Sadly my sponsor would only pay to study law at selected unis.

Have to resort to Open Uni or ULaw as other unis would prove too expensive and won't be worth taking a career break that would prove too costly.

:-(
    Consider clearing for your Unis?

The LNAT is definitely the dragon at the gate. Though my LNAT score wasn't as low as yours, it still cost me a spot at UCL also. Luckily it aasn't my first choice

It is definitely a crude way of culling an overcrowded field. Take heart though: there has been more than one report of LLB graduates who say that the LNAT does not or did not really correlate to their performance at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNDSAN)
    Wait, what? "You'll never get a job in America".
    I don't understand why do you people make comments without having any knowledge about what you are saying.
    We all understood that you got a place at UCL and that's wonderful. Congrats!
    But we all know that there are many good unis for law like Oxbridge, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol etc.
    Simply being in Durham doesn't guarantee you that you will never work as a lawyer in America hahah that's ridiculous (just because it's Durham and not UCL)
    Being in a top uni is always a plus. All those unis I mentioned have links with the top law firms. For example, Durham has many graduates at Hogan Lovells...
    If you graduate from a reputable uni and secure a TC at a top law firm you have a chance to work in the US some day.
    UCL and Oxbridge are not the only unis that will get you a place in America
    And what you mentioned about UCL's notable alumni makes no sense.
    Sheffield, St Andrews and QMUL have also famous alumni. Does that mean that their law faculty is better than Durham's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Assan)
    Consider clearing for your Unis?

The LNAT is definitely the dragon at the gate. Though my LNAT score wasn't as low as yours, it still cost me a spot at UCL also. Luckily it aasn't my first choice

It is definitely a crude way of culling an overcrowded field. Take heart though: there has been more than one report of LLB graduates who say that the LNAT does not or did not really correlate to their performance at university.
    Thank you for consoling words. Looking into options but don't want to waste too much time searching or contemplating. Will see in July onwards. My tutor is asking me to take part in Ucas extra which I would look at through the weekends'.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anyone has an opinion on University of Law's LLB Law programme. I'm thinking of applying there through UCAS Extra. Thx.

ReputationRep:
    There's now a group chat for Warwick law students, message me if you're interested

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I firmed York yesterday, but now that I've slept on it I'm wondering if I should've gone Exeter instead. Honestly, I prefer York (city/course/expenses-wise) and though I know I shouldn't care about rankings, I had a look at them for the past couple of years and found York's rankings to be quite unstable making me wonder if perhaps it's law programme may have been overrated (Exeter being top 10 overall doesn't help either)? Graduate prospects are of utmost import to me, and since this is my 2nd course (one that I'm fully funding), I just don't want to end up regretting my decision.

Before I do something crazy like call UCAS and have them change my reply, I'd really appreciate it if someone could be the voice of reason for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amie_U;[url="tel:64704323")
    64704323[/url]]There's now a group chat for Warwick law students, message me if you're interested
    Mee, I've sent you a private message

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightning count)
    Hey guys I firmed York yesterday, but now that I've slept on it I'm wondering if I should've gone Exeter instead. Honestly, I prefer York (city/course/expenses-wise) and though I know I shouldn't care about rankings, I had a look at them for the past couple of years and found York's rankings to be quite unstable making me wonder if perhaps it's law programme may have been overrated (Exeter being top 10 overall doesn't help either)? Graduate prospects are of utmost import to me, and since this is my 2nd course (one that I'm fully funding), I just don't want to end up regretting my decision.

Before I do something crazy like call UCAS and have them change my reply, I'd really appreciate it if someone could be the voice of reason for me.
    Hello

Taking the time to answer this before I was in a very similar position as you, and had the same concerns.

I received four offers, including Exeter and York. I never intended to go to Exeter for various reasons (student demographics, location, course) and I had settled on York (until I received a last minute - and I mean, May 5- acceptance from my first choice.) I would have been SO happy to go to York: the course seems phonomenal (as you probably realize the second time around, practical skills are sooo important and an assessed clinic module is available; it's RG, top 20, the campus; the York Award; the facilities) and generally, the university is well regarded. The law department is another matter, though. I was willing to put the rankings down to its novelty. YLS's first batch are probably just now qualifying, so it's going to take a while for the rankings to catch up. Because I had a gut feeling that the course was right for me and my learning style (ie I would excel with a kinesthetic component to my legal studies, and given it's overall reputation, and given the fact that the course seems so tuned in to what legal education should be and what employers want in the 21st century, I was willing to take the risk. I just knew I had to kill it: definitely aim for that First, get the York Award, and make the most of the two years.

But then I got nervous. Like you, the rankings were a little too volatile for me. I compared Exeter, Birmingham, and York over time (CUG, I think) and York scared me a bit. Now the difference between Birmingham and York was neglible and York came out on top (I figured no reputation at a reputable school is better than a law department having a bad reputation with employers at a reputable school.). But Exeter is well-regarded it seems, and it definitely gave me pause.

I think I still would have gone with York, based on my understanding of the environment, assessment methods, and learning experience in which I'd thrive. What is it for you? If you want London and the teaching style doesn't matter as much, maybe go with Ex. If you have a strong sense that whatever disadvantage you may incur with York is made up by the fact that you're likely to kill it - take York. I'd also suggest you go through all the data again, on new sites, and also look up decision making models and put it to the test.

Another idea - ask yourself questions from where you'll be positioned in six months, 1 year, 2-years time. Did your choice allow you to satisfy your unquantifiable needs - self respect, achievement, personal growth, peace, prestige, take part in the extracurriculars you wanted to build your resume, personal brand, and experiences? Did you make a decision based on fear? Those are always the first you'll regret. Did you put yourself in a position to achieve your (candid, clearly defined, written) goals and objectives?

I'm glad I don't have to make that choice anymore, because it's a hard one. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKStudent2016)
    Hi, anyone has an opinion on University of Law's LLB Law programme. I'm thinking of applying there through UCAS Extra. Thx.
    I don't know but Warwick were in clearing for law last year and they don't take LNAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cholesta)
    I don't know but Warwick were in clearing for law last year and they don't take LNAT.
    Do you know what grades they were asking for in clearing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuipdoe)
    Do you know what grades they were asking for in clearing?
    3 A's which is their standard offer.

ReputationRep:
    3 A's which is their standard offer.
    Even in clearing?
    Thank you for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for kind response. But still would appreciate if any one has an idea about university of law's law degree.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anything about top unis and adjustment for law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeisenbergWW)
    Does anyone know anything about top unis and adjustment for law?
    There aren't 'places' in Adjustment like for Clearing - there are no lists of 'vacancies' published.

If you get above your required grades for your Firm, you can phone individual Unis to see if they are interested in you, without giving up your current Firm (ie. you do not 'enter' Adjustment until you find a Uni that can offer you a place and decide to drop your Firm.

Given that most Unis are oversubscribed for Law, you would probably have to get astonishing results to impress them enough for a place - and remember that will include LNAT for most RG Unis. Its worth a phone call or two - but don't hold your breath.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick or Bristol?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.