Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittylorelli)
    Will they be adjusting the threshold for applicants this year as they are only scoring on three sections?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would depend on what the average score is, which is released after the last exam is sat. If the average score is similar to last year's, no, though obviously if they use overall they'll scale the mark because of losing 900. If it is a lot higher or a lot lower, yes, they'll amend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys is UKCAT ninja a fair representation of AR and QR? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Where can I apply with 660 average in the UKCAT? (VR: 530, QR: 850, AR: 600 SJ: Band 2)
    I want to stay in London, so I'll apply to UCL and Imperial as BMAT unis. I'm not sure about the other two... I was thinking of KCL, Barts and St George's, but after this disappointing result I don't think I have a chance.
    Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred5134)
    There are many bmat universities, or universities that don't use the ukcat such as liverpool.
    Liverpool introduced the UKCAT last year and will continue to use it, but they are more likely to have lower emphasis on it because they're still getting used to how it factors into their selection process.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guptkhalsa84)
    How is 703 as a score?? (please see my last post!)
    703 is a great score, just depends where you applying for GEM a high score is required due to the amount of applicants
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Zarabegum12)
    Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫
    I sat the UKCAT test today and averaged 550.
    VR: 600
    QR: 400
    AR: 650
    Game over for medicine for me i guess 🙍🏻🔫

I got 2 A*s, 4 As and 5 Bs at GCSE
    AABB at AS
    Predicted AAA for Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

I was hoping to apply for Barts (coz its local to me), UCL (im part of their Widening participation Medicine scheme), Southampton and Manchester.

Guys are these bad choices for uni, as in, do you think I have a chance for interview there? And based on my current qualifications, where would you guys advice I should apply to? I an just LOST!!! All advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    I would avoid all those (except UCL). Going from the top of my head, your UKCAT just won't cut it for those Medical Schools sadly.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessScott)
    703 is a great score, just depends where you applying for GEM a high score is required due to the amount of applicants
    Thanks for replying!! I was thinking Kings but I'm not sure I didnt do to good in ALevels and I only have a chem as level to grade c. Im studying Optometry at the moment. What would you do if you were in my situation? Any advice? Thabks for replying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guptkhalsa84)
    Thanks for replying!! I was thinking Kings but I'm not sure I didnt do to good in ALevels and I only have a chem as level to grade c. Im studying Optometry at the moment. What would you do if you were in my situation? Any advice? Thabks for replying!
    newcastle dont look at gcses or a levels if you have a degree, just need a 1st or 2:1 which your ukcat score should be ok for for undergrad GEM is usually higher, warwick dont look at gcses or a levels either but apprently need 700 on VR but not sure if thats true. have a look at this document and itll tell you what you need, if for undergrad course theyll have on their websites what they accept for graduates

im a graduate applying too
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf (918.3 KB, 97 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessScott)
    newcastle dont look at gcses or a levels if you have a degree, just need a 1st or 2:1 which your ukcat score should be ok for for undergrad GEM is usually higher, warwick dont look at gcses or a levels either but apprently need 700 on VR but not sure if thats true. have a look at this document and itll tell you what you need, if for undergrad course theyll have on their websites what they accept for graduates

im a graduate applying too
    Thanks!! For most undergrad degrees they still take into account your a levels, which is annoying, im still kicking myself about them and dropping chemistry!! Also do you think 703 will be in the top 25%, when I went to kings open day they said cutoff is usually 700+ but they didnt confirm. Really wanted to apply to Kings as im working at St Thomas Hospital and they have a partnership!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarabegum12)
    Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫
    I sat the UKCAT test today and averaged 550.
    VR: 600
    QR: 400
    AR: 650
    Game over for medicine for me i guess 🙍🏻🔫

I got 2 A*s, 4 As and 5 Bs at GCSE
    AABB at AS
    Predicted AAA for Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

I was hoping to apply for Barts (coz its local to me), UCL (im part of their Widening participation Medicine scheme), Southampton and Manchester.

Guys are these bad choices for uni, as in, do you think I have a chance for interview there? And based on my current qualifications, where would you guys advice I should apply to? I an just LOST!!! All advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Your grades are great! I would say do the BMAT and apply to Imperial, UCL etc
    DW about your UKCAT, the BMAT may play more to your academic skills!

ReputationRep:
    HI guys,

I watched this thread like a hawk while preparing for my UKCAT and found it beneficial when people shared their experiences so I decided to do the same.
    VR:
    Was super scared for this section as everyone was talking about how long the passages were. IMO they were not that much longer than the official tests, therefore i think the official tests are a good rep for this section
    QR:
    Yes, it was much easier. Simple as. I got 430, 570 and 650 in the official mocks and ended up getting 770 in the real thing.
    AR:
    This was supposed to be my best section. From previous comments I was confident about this section as people had said that medify overprepares you. However, in the real exam I found it very very difficult. And this difficulty made me run out of time and guess the last few questions.
    SJT:
    I was constantly getting Band 2's but got a Band 1 in the real thing. Even stopped 10 mins before time was up as I just wanted to get it over with and get my score.

I got VR:650 QR:770 and AR:630, overall 684
    Absolutely gutted with my score. Wanted to get at least 700. Can somebody recommend uni's for me (7A*'s 4A's GCSE) -

ReputationRep:
    Is this a good score?
    VR 870
    QR 890
    AR 770
    Got 7A* 3A at gcse and AAAA in maths bio chem phys at AS do you think this will be enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobofbobs)
    Is this a good score?
    VR 870
    QR 890
    AR 770
    Got 7A* 3A at gcse and AAAA in maths bio chem phys at AS do you think this will be enough?
    More than enough. If it wasn't, it'd be basically impossible to get in. Make sure your PS is on point though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hay_tuz)
    HI guys,

I watched this thread like a hawk while preparing for my UKCAT and found it beneficial when people shared their experiences so I decided to do the same.
    VR:
    Was super scared for this section as everyone was talking about how long the passages were. IMO they were not that much longer than the official tests, therefore i think the official tests are a good rep for this section
    QR:
    Yes, it was much easier. Simple as. I got 430, 570 and 650 in the official mocks and ended up getting 770 in the real thing.
    AR:
    This was supposed to be my best section. From previous comments I was confident about this section as people had said that medify overprepares you. However, in the real exam I found it very very difficult. And this difficulty made me run out of time and guess the last few questions.
    SJT:
    I was constantly getting Band 2's but got a Band 1 in the real thing. Even stopped 10 mins before time was up as I just wanted to get it over with and get my score.

I got VR:650 QR:770 and AR:630, overall 684
    Absolutely gutted with my score. Wanted to get at least 700. Can somebody recommend uni's for me (7A*'s 4A's GCSE) -
    Don't put yourself down! Great score for undergrad, you can have your pick of unis you have done well and your UKCAT should not get in the way!

ReputationRep:
    AR is laughable sometimes. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1473420852.322462.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  167.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also,, My worst section is VR so im trying to find my best technique but all of them im runnign out of time and am never completely confident. Do you guys read the passage then look at the questions and get back or read the question and sjut look for the phrases mentioned. This is for the 2nd type btw the statements one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    AR is laughable sometimes. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1473420852.322462.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  167.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed. That's one where you triage xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mearisss)
    this is taken from the University of Edinburgh on "how universities use the ukcat" web pdf

Here is a link so you can chech out all the universities: http://www.kaptest.co.uk/sites/kapte...6%20Entry).pdf

University of Edinburgh: The Selection Committee uses your UKCAT score to make a more informed decision about yourapplication.Once all the scores are received we rank them, divide the groups into octiles and allocate a score. Thepoints are then added to your total score to contribute towards your final ranking.Due to the introduction of the Situational Judgement section of the test, we will be assessing this as partof our non-academic requirements and not alongside your overall UKCAT score.We will consider all scores and no applicant will be excluded from selection based on the score achievedin their UKCAT test (although applicants will be excluded if they have failed to take the test and notgained an exemption).The score an applicant achieved may be looked at again when final decisions are being made and there isa number of applicants with the same ranked score and limited places left to offer.
    Hey, thanks! That document is really helpful, pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoemccarthy34)
    OMG how the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! Please advice for VR and QR. Im only getting 600 in them.
    Okay, so, for VR, I quickly read through the passages so that I have a good idea of what all is discussed in them. Then I always try to choose the "more correct" answer for the Reading Comprehension questions. This means I will choose the option which has direct support from the passage. There will be one or two questions which seem to have some weak support from the passage, and it's easy to pick those instead. But they are wrong. For the T/F/CT questions, I only choose True or False if the statement has direct support or directly contradicts the passage. Everything else is Can't Tell.

For QR, it's important to be good with written arithmetic. Try not to rely on the calculator all the time. Be able to go really fast, but do it accurately. This will only come with practice.

But most importantly, keep a calm and composed mind. Even if you know all the tricks, it will be for nought if your mind doesn't stay in control and you start panicking.

Hope all that helps, and all the best!

ReputationRep:
    anyones medify down? mine isn't working.. anyone else??????

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.