Report 3 years ago
They were only the best team in England because he made them into that
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
He barely stormed the league, came up against no opposition and lived off Costa's ridiculous shot accuracy in the first half of the season. Dreary performances second half of the season. He's losing his touch because of the facts, which are 2 league titles, 0 CLs, in 6 seasons with the richest team in the world, and the best team in England. #facts

I questioned Mourinho and his record well before he was linked to United.
Yeah, I disagree that Mou getting third in 13/14 was a sackable offence though, but then again Ancelotti got sacked for even less with a clearly worse team.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They stormed the league because everybody else was crap.

I think that was clear from last season by the fact Chelsea just literally went 1/2 goals up and stopped playing football when any decent team(i.e. PSG) obviously cut out that ********. Guess it beats watching 0-0 draws though.
(Original post by difeo)
They were only the best team in England because he made them into that
Hmm in all honesty the team had a lot of potential pre Mourinho and this was more done regardless of Mourinho rather than because of Mourinho. I made that post in April 2013 in response to you(about why Chelsea will go above United and title challenge in 13/14) and talked about the potential of the team, Hazard in particular. It was a side that required a few personnel tweaks(2 CMs, winger depth and a striker) and it took Mourinho 2 seasons to do something that was so apparent just by watching any Chelsea match in 12/13 that was needed.
KeyToSuccess
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tbf, I'd take a 1 in 3 title winning manager. Only ever finished outside top 2 once, or something like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mourinho will spend that money really well and he'll be able to attract the very best players in the world. He'll make us competitive in Europe again which is something the size of our club should be. Hopefully he turns us into consistent semi finalists like he did with Real Madrid and with Chelsea in his first season. United will probably one of his only jobs where he's given free reign and could do whatever he pleases as he'll have complete power over the footballing side. I really think Mourinho would build a dynasty if he joins United (ridiculous how Moyes was appointed ahead of him) he has the money there to spend and could continually revitalise the squad something he wasnt able to do at Chelsea for some reason.

The only negative is his attitude. We need his seige like mentality for now to really drive the players but over time it becomes tiresome. I hope he's willing to adapt, after all if rumours are true, United have always been his dream club. Also the collapse at Chelsea and the falling out something similiar to what happened in his last at Madrid, i hope it doesnt happen at United or else we'll be back to square one again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Manchester United
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
They stormed the league because everybody else was crap.

I think that was clear from last season by the fact Chelsea just literally went 2 goals up and stopped playing football. Guess it beats watching 0-0 draws though.
This is the Premiership; the top teams have been crap for the last five years. You can only beat what's in front of you, Mourinho did that, and therefore he deserves a lot of credit.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Gotta say though Pimped completely called Moyes being a failure, Falcao being a flop and LVG being a distinctly average manager spot on?

(Original post by Manchester United)
This is the Premiership; the top teams have been crap for the last five years. You can only beat what's in front of you, Mourinho did that, and therefore he deserves a lot of credit.
Pep's therefore done an even better job at Bayern too right?

Allegri is a better manager by far than Mourinho according to your logic too. Since you can only beat what's in front of you and he got to a CL final in his first season in charge of Juve while on route to winning another double.
Manchester United
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Gotta say though Pimped completely called Moyes being a failure, Falcao being a flop and LVG being a distinctly average manager spot on?

What? Pep has clearly done a good job at Bayern, but not as good as Heynckes.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Manchester United)
What? Pep has clearly done a good job at Bayern, but not as good as Heynckes.
Pep is therefore better than Mourinho solely because of the work he's done at Bayern. He's won more trophies and you can only beat what's in front of you.

Allegri's definitely a better manager too(although you can actually argue Allegri's done better the past few seasons anyway).
Manchester United
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Allegri is a better manager by far than Mourinho according to your logic too. Since you can only beat what's in front of you and he got to a CL final in his first season in charge of Juve while on route to winning another double.
You are doing it again Jam, you are placing too much importance on the last few seasons - you have to consider their entire career. Allegri did a brilliant job last season, but he has not done it for 15 years.

I think you need to log out and take a little break, your posts aren't of your usual quality.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
Mourinho will spend that money really well and he'll be able to attract the very best players in the world. He'll make us competitive in Europe again which is something the size of our club should be. Hopefully he turns us into consistent semi finalists like he did with Real Madrid and with Chelsea in his first season. United will probably one of his only jobs where he's given free reign and could do whatever he pleases as he'll have complete power over the footballing side. I really think Mourinho would build a dynasty if he joins United (ridiculous how Moyes was appointed ahead of him) he has the money there to spend and could continually revitalise the squad something he wasnt able to do at Chelsea for some reason.
What revitalisation did a squad that won the title last season need or are you saying thise for the sake of saying this?

The only negative is his attitude. We need his seige like mentality for now to really drive the players but over time it becomes tiresome. I hope he's willing to adapt, after all if rumours are true, United have always been his dream club. Also the collapse at Chelsea and the falling out something similiar to what happened in his last at Madrid, i hope it doesnt happen at United or else we'll be back to square one again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah and that's exactly why Mourinho is a bad fit. He said he was going to use youth players and make the style of play more attacking at Chelsea, he's had 2.5 seasons and there's no sign that he was going to do that.

Also there was a clear lack of motivation in the Chelsea squad that suddenly has gone since he's left.
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What revitalisation did a squad that won the title last season need or are you saying thise for the sake of saying this?

Yeah and that's exactly why Mourinho is a bad fit. He said he was going to use youth players and make the style of play more attacking at Chelsea, he's had 2.5 seasons and there's no sign that he was going to do that.

Also there was a clear lack of motivation in the Chelsea squad that suddenly has gone since he's left.
I meant in the sense of revitalizing a title winning squad. Something he couldn't do at Chelsea this season and couldn't obtain his first choice signings.

There's still a debate as to whether he is or is not a good fit. I've never mentioned he's good a fit but one thing he does guarantee and that is short term success something that United need in order to get back amongst the elite. That short term success could be a building platform and in the short run allow us to compete with City and Arsenal so that the next manager could build upon it. I guess it's something similar to what van Gaal was bought in to do but has seemingly failed miserably although some aspects of United's football has improved and some foundations have been built.

He's lack of using youth players is a concern and seems to be a tradition at United to bring through youth players even though it's hardly been amazing since the class of 92. However, as i've said, if he's willing to adapt to the United job then maybe he might be a good option. Obviously saying it is one thing and actually doing it is another.
Nickini
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Despite the way Chelsea played in the first half of 14/15 we were level in every respect with City on Christmas day. The title race should have been a lot closer than it was but Chelsea did the bare minimum whilst City bottled it.

Also it's abundantly clear Jose is a very different animal to what he was ten years ago. Very naive to look at his first time in England and expect the same of him now, although perhaps his time off will help him in that regard.

City with Pep vs. a potentially Europe-less United w/ Mourinho, Chelsea w/ whoever and Liverpool w/ Klopp will make for very interesting viewing next season.
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nickini)
Despite the way Chelsea played in the first half of 14/15 we were level in every respect with City on Christmas day. The title race should have been a lot closer than it was but Chelsea did the bare minimum whilst City bottled it.

Also it's abundantly clear Jose is a very different animal to what he was ten years ago. Very naive to look at his first time in England and expect the same of him now, although perhaps his time off will help him in that regard.

City with Pep vs. a potentially Europe-less United w/ Mourinho, Chelsea w/ whoever and Liverpool w/ Klopp will make for very interesting viewing next season.
Aren't Liverpool going to be in the Europa since they're up against City who'll be in the CL? . I reckon United will do enough to make the Europa league spots.

Chelsea and Liverpool without Europe, you'd expect them to really put up a title challenge.
KeyToSuccess
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Yeah because you've been just brilliant since he left, drew at home to West Brom ffs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nickini
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
Aren't Liverpool going to be in the Europa since they're up against City who'll be in the CL? . I reckon United will do enough to make the Europa league spots.

Chelsea and Liverpool without Europe, you'd expect them to really put up a title challenge.
Yeah phrased that last bit terribly.

Chelsea almost certainly won't have Europe so assuming the board make a sensible managerial appointment (dubious) and don't decide to cash in on half the squad (also dubious) we *should* be capable of a decent challenge.

Don't see Mourinho prioritising the Europa league, Klopp may though.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KeyToSuccess)
Yeah because you've been just brilliant since he left, drew at home to West Brom ffs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ain't lost to the likes of Bournemouth at home though.

It's also somewhat likely that Liverpool will gain european qualification via beating City.
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hmm what's with all these arguments today!

Uh oh
KeyToSuccess
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ain't lost to the likes of Bournemouth at home though.

It's also somewhat likely that Liverpool will gain european qualification via beating City.
Don't they get it anyway (as City will qualify for CL?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KeyToSuccess)
Don't they get it anyway (as City will qualify for CL?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, that's for the FA cup. They have to win the league cup.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (143)
18.94%
Labour (322)
42.65%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.26%
Green Party (41)
5.43%
Brexit Party (21)
2.78%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)