Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    Talk to the person at UNI. They want you to pass, it looks really **** on them if they have failing teachers. They should and will do everything they can to help you in the situation you're in.
    Very much so. When I was a subject mentor, there was only one student who the Central mentor and I both felt should fail, because frankly she was a danger to children and unlikely on the evidence to learn from her (pretty serious) mistakes, but the university was having none of it. We didn't win.

ReputationRep:
    I've still not started my placement and I have a feeling I'm not going to as I've tried to contact my mentor loads of times and she hasn't got back to me. Ive been having problems with my laptop this week so I haven't been able to get as much work done as I hoped to and I got two assignments due in little under two weeks...

I'm wondering if I should take this as a sign I should give up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I've still not started my placement and I have a feeling I'm not going to as I've tried to contact my mentor loads of times and she hasn't got back to me. Ive been having problems with my laptop this week so I haven't been able to get as much work done as I hoped to and I got two assignments due in little under two weeks...

I'm wondering if I should take this as a sign I should give up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dont give up! Have you contacted your university and told them theres an issue? Not just your subject mentor but the actual admin department for teaching at your uni?

Ive had a real day of ups and downs today. The lesson i was terrified about this morning (a y10 python programming lesson) was apparently really good and the teacher who observes me said if i was happy for her to do it, shed right it up for one of my official observations, so woop for that!
    The observation i knew was coming went worse than i expected, the class are horrible anyway, but i was meant to start them off on their coursework write up. When they came in some of the boys were just really disruptive and wouldnt settle, i decided to change plan and get the majority continuing to work on their images while i talked specifically to a few good girls who were at that point and get them rolling. I just felt that if i went through the coursework write up with the group i would have just been talking at them as opposed to them taking in what i wanted them to do and the lesson wouldnt have been very productive at all. Sigh, just have to face the music tomorrow with that teacher and explain my thinking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Dont give up! Have you contacted your university and told them theres an issue? Not just your subject mentor but the actual admin department for teaching at your uni?

Ive had a real day of ups and downs today. The lesson i was terrified about this morning (a y10 python programming lesson) was apparently really good and the teacher who observes me said if i was happy for her to do it, shed right it up for one of my official observations, so woop for that!
    The observation i knew was coming went worse than i expected, the class are horrible anyway, but i was meant to start them off on their coursework write up. When they came in some of the boys were just really disruptive and wouldnt settle, i decided to change plan and get the majority continuing to work on their images while i talked specifically to a few good girls who were at that point and get them rolling. I just felt that if i went through the coursework write up with the group i would have just been talking at them as opposed to them taking in what i wanted them to do and the lesson wouldnt have been very productive at all. Sigh, just have to face the music tomorrow with that teacher and explain my thinking!
    No I haven't, I'm not the only one in my class who has been having problems with their placement. Well done on your lesson Im meant to be taking a GCSE class just as a sub in a few weeks, Im a bit scared!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Itll be fine, i find the ks4 classes far easier than ks3 as theyre (for the most part) more amenable to learning! I find that if i talk to them like adults they respond really well, especially my y10 computer science guys

ReputationRep:
    Itll be fine, i find the ks4 classes far easier than ks3 as theyre (for the most part) more amenable to learning! I find that if i talk to them like adults they respond really well, especially my y10 computer science guys
    I'm doing an FE GCSE so the class I'll be teaching are a bit older; 16 to 19.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an FE GCSE so the class I'll be teaching are a bit older; 16 to 19.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, even easier id imagine once you get to that point. I would think the kids you do teach actually want to be studying your subject :/

ReputationRep:
    Ah, even easier id imagine once you get to that point. I would think the kids you do teach actually want to be studying your subject :/
    In FE many 16-18 year olds do GCSE or functional skills in "core" subjects if they didn't get it at school as they have to (Im doing English).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In FE many 16-18 year olds do GCSE or functional skills in "core" subjects if they didn't get it at school as they have to (Im doing English).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok, i understand now, yeah i can see that beint a tad stressful!

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, i understand now, yeah i can see that beint a tad stressful!
    They're meant to be a nice class though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It sounds well thought out so hopefully the teacher can see that! Obviously the ideal is being able to settle them but that's something very few student teachers would be able to achieve at this point, and that you can use as a point for improvement. There's no point ploughing on with plans when you're not going to achieve the aim... Following the pupils is very important. Just make sure you think about all the pupils when making these decisions

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many weeks have people been teaching for? I've noticed a lot of people just starting their placements? I've been teaching for 5 weeks now, 11 hours? What do other people do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy_jucie)
    How many weeks have people been teaching for? I've noticed a lot of people just starting their placements? I've been teaching for 5 weeks now, 11 hours? What do other people do?

4 weeks, and we're not back on placement till mid-January now!

ReputationRep:
    I started late september on my course and was teaching a lesson a week from 2nd week in october. Been on 8 lessons a week since after half term plus team teaching 2 hours of y11. On this until xmas then start my new placement mid january

ReputationRep:
    I started late september on my course and was teaching a lesson a week from 2nd week in october. Been on 8 lessons a week since after half term plus team teaching 2 hours of y11. On this until xmas then start my new placement mid january
    How are you finding team teaching? I'm finding it harder than teaching alone because I'm never clear on which parts I should be doing and what to plan.

I'm majorly stressing about next week. It will be my first time taking one of the year eight classes and their normal teacher has told me what he wants me to do but hasn't been very specific so I feel a bit clueless about what I'm supposed to be doing. I think I may just email him and be honest about it, rather than stress myself out trying to make something to please him when I don't even know what he wants! Hopefully he will be okay with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    How are you finding team teaching? I'm finding it harder than teaching alone because I'm never clear on which parts I should be doing and what to plan.

I'm majorly stressing about next week. It will be my first time taking one of the year eight classes and their normal teacher has told me what he wants me to do but hasn't been very specific so I feel a bit clueless about what I'm supposed to be doing. I think I may just email him and be honest about it, rather than stress myself out trying to make something to please him when I don't even know what he wants! Hopefully he will be okay with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dont find team teaching too bad but the y11s are pretty switched on so that might be why!

Yeah just email your teacher and ask him if you can just go through what he wants you to cover. Maybe come up with a shell of a lesson plan you can discuss with him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely ask him, so many times in my PGCE and also in work I have just not quite got what I'm meant to do- with so much info it's hard to make sure everything is clear. If certain bits are for you to decide he will tell you, if he wants it a certain way then you've found out.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching all the way untill Xmas then back into second placement mid January. I'm burnt out already with 11 hours to plan each week and 4000 word masters asignment. Does anyone else feel anxious all of the time, and I mean like 24/7 I'm constantly in a state of anxiety and it's horrible, I'm off sick for two days with severe vomiting I'm hoping it's an acctually virus not my anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in school since the 2nd of September and teaching about 12 hours or so a week! Just had to write a report on how I'm doing, have the first draft of assignment 1 due in in two weeks and my uni tutor is in next Tuesday to watch me teach!! Since half term I haven't had a lot of time to myself and everyone on the course seems to be feeling the same! I start my second school placement on the 10th Dec and then I'm back to my original school after February half term! Loving every second though, especially as I'm starting to win over my most difficult year 8 group!

ReputationRep:
    I love the teaching part but just feel anxious about everything else, suppose I'll just have to get through it or maybe I'm not cut out for it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.