Report 7 years ago
I just submitted my PS to PS help
punctuation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zoedotdot)
Okay, it's up to you It's a shame it happened. As I said before - if you discover who it was, please PM me to let me know and I will sort it out
Actually at one point a Cambridge applicant did infiltrate our spreadsheet and add a hidden column or row boasting of their greatness. But it was all in good fun and as you said I doubt they would degrade to something so malicious. Thanks for helping out.
nightmare91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
Ohh great I am going to do that this weekend I am kind of scared that they will rip it apart
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nightmare91)
Ohh great I am going to do that this weekend I am kind of scared that they will rip it apart
I'm hoping they half praise me and half rip it apart.

I don't want to be disheartened, but I want it to be much better by the time I submit it and I hope they can help!
nightmare91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm hoping they half praise me and half rip it apart.

I don't want to be disheartened, but I want it to be much better by the time I submit it and I hope they can help!
Exactly, I think some parts of my PS really need some improvement. But I also have parts in my PS that I am sort of proud of So hoping the PS helper chooses the right parts to rip apart

When will you submit your Application? I still need a teacher's reference; going to have a talk with my economics teacher on Monday.
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by punctuation)
Yep Blackwell and before I went to Waterstone's... the latter said on the subject of London riots: we'll stay open, if they loot us they might learn something.

Blackwell(s?) is huge though. Several floors of wonderful literary goodness! *drool*
I looooooooooooooooooooove Blackwells!

Mmmm French literature :sexface:

Although, when i went i lost the person i was with in the store, so got scared and waited outside until they came out because i had no signal to ring them
rhymenoceros
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TurnerE)
Hi-
I figured I'd give you some of my wisdom about applying with a French Bac (I did it this year)... I don't know if anyone has said this yet - I can't bear to scroll through thirty more pages of this!
I would say that the French Bac is very well understood by Oxford. They gave me an offer of 15 overall on the bac. I applied for Classics and French, so almost NONE of my classes were relevant to the course (except for french, but I had already taken that once I applied...), but they didn't seem to mind. As I'm sure you've heard a million times by now, it's not necessarily knowledge of your subject that they're looking for (I had absolutely NO knowledge of Classics beforehand), but rather an intellectual curiosity.
Also, the only really hard thing about applying with a French Bac was the written work because it had to be translated into English and I had to do all of the translations myself...
Best of luck to you on your application

Sorry I haven't seen this, summer holidays = minimal computer access I'm afraid

Thank you so much for this, as I was (still am a little) worried about the whole process... But seriously, wow on your 15/20 offer, they must have liked you! Actually what I was mostly worried about was the fact that the exams we had already taken (like french, svt etc) before we apply are the only real indication for the college, and I just hope they don't think it portrays your entire intellectual potential because it certainly doesn't, at least for me

That must have been annoying, to translate everything, I've done it and somehow everything gets all twisted and all the sentences don't work, especially when doing French/English :P

So which college are you at?
vakanuvis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
wait.. isn't it a bit early for that? for me its TSA time for example. it sure needs more attention than PS on my part.
punctuation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by vakanuvis)
wait.. isn't it a bit early for that? for me its TSA time for example. it sure needs more attention than PS on my part.
Well many applicants don't need to sit any tests *glare* and the october 15 application deadline is a month earlier than TSA time, so I guess people are prioritizing.

Ugh! Really need to get going on both, haven't touched my TSA book all this week. However I have been reading that pop neuroscience book to help my PS, so... I'm still trying... :ninja:
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nightmare91)
Exactly, I think some parts of my PS really need some improvement. But I also have parts in my PS that I am sort of proud of So hoping the PS helper chooses the right parts to rip apart

When will you submit your Application? I still need a teacher's reference; going to have a talk with my economics teacher on Monday.
Haha yes, the same here. Unfortunately the bits I think are written best are the less important bits, like my extra-curriculars

Well I don't think there's any particular hurry to get it in before other people. My school requires my application to be complete by September 30th, and then they check it over and add the reference and predicted grades, guaranteeing to send it off properly by the October 15th deadline. So I'm pretty dependant on how quickly they get their act together,

I'm planning to apply just to Oxford, because you can then add more choices later. That gives me time to visit some open days (which are after my school's internal deadline).

(Original post by vakanuvis)
Not really too early for PS. (Seeing as the PS has to be sent off before the tests are sat) But you're right, I really need to do some MAT practise as well!
TurnerE
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rhymenoceros)
Sorry I haven't seen this, summer holidays = minimal computer access I'm afraid

Thank you so much for this, as I was (still am a little) worried about the whole process... But seriously, wow on your 15/20 offer, they must have liked you! Actually what I was mostly worried about was the fact that the exams we had already taken (like french, svt etc) before we apply are the only real indication for the college, and I just hope they don't think it portrays your entire intellectual potential because it certainly doesn't, at least for me

That must have been annoying, to translate everything, I've done it and somehow everything gets all twisted and all the sentences don't work, especially when doing French/English :P

So which college are you at?
15/20 was the standard offer for French Bac students this year... They have to give the same offer to all students who are applying for the same subjects (ie arts or sciences) the same offer to keep things fair (or at least that's how I understand it). But, the offer standards can change from year to year (so this year they could ask everyone for a 16/20) I really don't know how much the SVT, French and TPE exam results influence their decision. I had really bad marks in SVT, but a perfect score in the french oral which made for an excellent french score overall, and an excellent TPE score. Since I was applying for Classics AND French, I figure they probably only looked at the French score, but even then I have no idea how much of a determining factor that was. My personal philosophy about applying to Oxford is that your grades are really your ticket in and their way of insuring you don't slack off once you've got an offer. But, they are far from being the most important aspect of your application .

For the translation, I had a really hard time too. What I ended up doing was translating from french to english, really roughly, just making sure that I was translating all of the vocabulary correctly and that I was conserving the general thought-process contained. Once I had done this, I put the french paper away and then edited the English as if it were an essay originally written in English. They are not looking at how good your translation is, they're looking at how good and coherent your reasoning is. If you're applying for french, the french tutor will probably read your essays in the original french, but if you send in a history paper (written in french), they will probably send that along to a history tutor who will read the translation. In the end, you just want to send along two coherent pieces of work, that don't necessarily have to be perfect translations of the original pieces.

I'm going to Brasenose in October... I'm très excited!
GOOD LUCK!
rhymenoceros
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TurnerE)
15/20 was the standard offer for French Bac students this year... They have to give the same offer to all students who are applying for the same subjects (ie arts or sciences) the same offer to keep things fair (or at least that's how I understand it). But, the offer standards can change from year to year (so this year they could ask everyone for a 16/20) I really don't know how much the SVT, French and TPE exam results influence their decision. I had really bad marks in SVT, but a perfect score in the french oral which made for an excellent french score overall, and an excellent TPE score. Since I was applying for Classics AND French, I figure they probably only looked at the French score, but even then I have no idea how much of a determining factor that was. My personal philosophy about applying to Oxford is that your grades are really your ticket in and their way of insuring you don't slack off once you've got an offer. But, they are far from being the most important aspect of your application .

For the translation, I had a really hard time too. What I ended up doing was translating from french to english, really roughly, just making sure that I was translating all of the vocabulary correctly and that I was conserving the general thought-process contained. Once I had done this, I put the french paper away and then edited the English as if it were an essay originally written in English. They are not looking at how good your translation is, they're looking at how good and coherent your reasoning is. If you're applying for french, the french tutor will probably read your essays in the original french, but if you send in a history paper (written in french), they will probably send that along to a history tutor who will read the translation. In the end, you just want to send along two coherent pieces of work, that don't necessarily have to be perfect translations of the original pieces.

I'm going to Brasenose in October... I'm très excited!
GOOD LUCK!
Oh ok I didn't know that, makes a lot of sense though! I'm not great at french
Yeah I tend to do that too, just some words don't exist in the other language which is extremely annoying at times :P I definitely prefer writing in english!

Ooh Brasenose do you live in the UK? if not did you have to go to the UK for the interview or you didn't have to?
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah i've been reading the Oxford Offer Holders Thread, it makes me so jealous seeing them all discussing the language courses that they're signing up for I want to start extra language courses! Whaaaaaa

:lol:
Brand New Eyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone going to the September Open day?
candide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
O God! I received a prize from the Other Place...

I feel like a traitor. Dunno whether to be happy or disgusted with myself. =L

Second in a history essay comp run by.........................

Trinity College,

CAMBRIDGE!!!

=(
Brand New Eyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by candide)

Trinity College,

CAMBRIDGE!!!

=(
Oh cheer up, that's a good thing. Plus isn't there a cash reward or something. Well done. What was it on?

Btw what are you applying for? Only one that's blank on the spreadsheet
candide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Brand New Eyes)
Oh cheer up, that's a good thing. Plus isn't there a cash reward or something. Well done. What was it on?

Btw what are you applying for? Only one that's blank on the spreadsheet
Of course I'm happy, i just couldnt resist the cambridge joke! =D

£200...!!!

It was on the Treaty Of Union. =]

thanks =D

What am I applying for?? now thats a question! I'm not very good at being certain ... Ive gone from PPE to bio to PPE again to Psych to possibly neuro (biomed)...
I'm a serial dilletante. I like language, brains, computers and evolution.

[After investing a lot in local politics, and realizing that everyone concerned was nothing more than a semi-proffessional excuse maker, I decided that PPE and politics/econ was not the road I wanted to go down)
Eldedu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by candide)

Trinity College,

CAMBRIDGE!!!

=(
You're dead to me

:laugh:
nightmare91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by manic_fuzz)
Ah i've been reading the Oxford Offer Holders Thread, it makes me so jealous seeing them all discussing the language courses that they're signing up for I want to start extra language courses! Whaaaaaa

:lol:
That's what I want to do as well if I get the chance to study at Oxford. This is the last opportunity in life to learn a new language. What language were you thinking of?
dnumberwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Going to Germany has made me want to start learning german again Oh and I also want to learn Spanish again.... and maybe start japanese or something...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (99)
25.65%
No (287)
74.35%

Watched Threads