Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
phil.o.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Colonel.)
Well, it isn't. They are basically two different shows. They took different approaches to the aspects of Doctor Who with different goals and intentions. You can't really compare, though many will probably try.
See above. Comparisons can be made between anythings, especially two tv shows that share the same inherent qualities. quit trying to be a smartass and realise your silliness.
Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cambo211)
I liked Tennant as an actor and i liked his series at the time, but rewatching them and a lot of the writing is just lacking something. It comes across as cheesy and childish in places. This isn't me saying that it's all god awful, there are some real brilliant episodes in it, but i certainly know which i prefer out of the old and new writing.
Are you serious? Childish? In this series Matt Smith is so childish it annoys me, "ewww bogies" - "Jelly baby?" and all that childish stuff.

Plus.. how many times must we see Rory die?

But seriously, I've watched every single episode of the old and new Doctor, I was a die-hard fan, I used to be so sad as to watch it on the day every single day. It might be something to do with the fact I feel DW neglected the old greats.. plus the fact it's less relevant to us these days. In the old DW I liked the episodes in modern day UK etc.. I don't think there's been one with Matt Smith? The only one I saw was that episode on the Sarah Jane Adventures with the Shan Sheesh etc.
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by phil.o.)
See above. Comparisons can be made between anythings, especially two tv shows that share the same inherent qualities. quit trying to be a smartass and realise your silliness.
Alright, go into the "visuals, the graphics" then. Whatever. Such a fruitless thing to do.
phil.o.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Colonel.)
Alright, go into the "visuals, the graphics" then. Whatever. Such a fruitless thing to do.
ANd the stories, the acting, the level of science fiction philosophy used, the interpretations of character, the agendas set by the producers, the attractiveness of the respective casts, the audience the shows are aimed at. Pretty much everything can be compared
Greg1989
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Miracle Day)
Are you serious? Childish? In this series Matt Smith is so childish it annoys me, "ewww bogies" - "Jelly baby?" and all that childish stuff.

But seriously, I've watched every single episode of the old and new Doctor, I was a die-hard fan, I used to be so sad as to watch it on the day every single day. It might be something to do with the fact I feel DW neglected the old greats.. plus the fact it's less relevant to us these days. In the old DW I liked the episodes in modern day UK etc.. I don't think there's been one with Matt Smith? The only one I saw was that episode on the Sarah Jane Adventures with the Shan Sheesh etc.
really? considering that jelly baby in particular is a reference to the old doctor (tom bakers long running well known catch phrase) who i cant see how you can call it childish when you say you were a die hard fan of the old ones :s
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Greg1989)
really? considering that jelly baby in particular is a reference to the old doctor (tom bakers long running well known catch phrase) who i cant see how you can call it childish when you say you were a die hard fan of the old ones :s
Yeah, it was also something the master said to the president. Also the Jammy dodger thing. I liked the darkness about David Tennant, Matt Smith seems too light if you get me. If you're going to quote a post please don't just pick out the bits that suit you and will go in your favour.

Thanks.
cambo211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Yes i'm serious, otherwise i wouldn't have said it.

Pre-Smith Who is more childish than Smith Who. The Jelly Baby line in The Almost People was a reference to the 4th doctor as the ganger doctor was remembering his regenerations so i have no idea why you've chosen that as an example of it's childishness.

The childishness of the show isn't solely determined by the things the characters say, it's just the 'feel' of the show for me, and in that respect Pre-Smith who is much more childish than it currently is. Thinking about it i actually can't determine what it is that makes it more childish, to me it just is.
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes i'm serious, otherwise i wouldn't have said it.

Pre-Smith Who is more childish than Smith Who. The Jelly Baby line in The Almost People was a reference to the 4th doctor as the ganger doctor was remembering his regenerations so i have no idea why you've chosen that as an example of it's childishness.

The childishness of the show isn't solely determined by the things the characters say, it's just the 'feel' of the show for me, and in that respect Pre-Smith who is much more childish than it currently is.
Some examples of David Tennants childishness please? Oh and I'm not commenting on Christopher Ecleston here, just David btw
Bobifier
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LastLordofTime)
Disagree. Matt Smith is a better Doctor than David Tennant was. He's more what I imagine the character to be. And the writing has been FAR superior overall to a RTD series.
I can't help but feel that Matt Smith is lacking something. David Tennant was capable of being ridiculous but at the same time being 900 years old and carrying the emotional baggage of killing the Time Lords. Matt Smith does the ridiculous very well, but I think he finds it harder to be serious and cope with some of the depth of the character.

That said, I think he is much better this series than he was last time, and my opinion in this regard will probably have changed by series 7.
cambo211
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some examples of David Tennants childishness please? Oh and I'm not commenting on Christopher Ecleston here, just David btw
As i said, it's not the characters, it's the feel of the show.

Matt Smith may act more childish but the show as a whole certainly feels more 'adult'.
Greg1989
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, it was also something the master said to the president. Also the Jammy dodger thing. I liked the darkness about David Tennant, Matt Smith seems too light if you get me. If you're going to quote a post please don't just pick out the bits that suit you and will go in your favour.

Thanks.
your welcome

and i pick out that bit as it was the silliest bit, but if you would like me to pull apart the rest id be happy to any time, i agree with your analysis of what the new doctors have been like, but as someone that has also seen the old ones and was a fan, i still dont see your hate for mat smith, especially considering he is much more similar to the older doctors as they were also a little light hearted and comedic, hence my original point stands, unless you consdier the old ones to simply mean the early series of the re make?
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As i said, it's not the characters, it's the feel of the show.

Matt Smith may act more childish but the show as a whole certainly feels more 'adult'.
Wait Wait, how can an atomosephere be mature without actual referance to why it's mature?
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
your welcome

and i pick out that bit as it was the silliest bit, but if you would like me to pull apart the rest id be happy to any time, i agree with your analysis of what the new doctors have been like, but as someone that has also seen the old ones and was a fan, i still dont see your hate for mat smith, especially considering he is much more similar to the older doctors as they were also a little light hearted and comedic, hence my original point stands, unless you consdier the old ones to simply mean the early series of the re make?
Wow, I feel my post has been ripped apart? :confused:

And I don't hate Matt Smith, just don't see the praise because he's nowhere near as good as DT, but that wasnt really going to happen was it :/
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bobifier)
I can't help but feel that Matt Smith is lacking something. David Tennant was capable of being ridiculous but at the same time being 900 years old and carrying the emotional baggage of killing the Time Lords. Matt Smith does the ridiculous very well, but I think he finds it harder to be serious and cope with some of the depth of the character.

That said, I think he is much better this series than he was last time, and my opinion in this regard will probably have changed by series 7.
Agreed bro, exactly what I feel.
cambo211
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wait Wait, how can an atomosephere be mature without actual referance to why it's mature?
Because I can't pinpoint what it is that makes it mature. I've never done media studies or film studies, I have relatively no idea of the work that goes into making an atmosphere and largely i'm very poor at expressing myself in words.

So coming at this as a layman I can simply say that the Smith series have been more mature than those Pre-Smith.
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because I can't pinpoint what it is that makes it mature. I've never done media studies or film studies, I have relatively no idea of the work that goes into making an atmosphere and largely i'm very poor at expressing myself in words.

So coming at this as a layman I can simply say that the Smith series have been more mature than those Pre-Smith.
Point - Check
Evidence - Pending
Explanation - Check

Nah joke, I dissagree. I guess I'll just go for Torchwood Don't get me wrong I like Doctor Who, just don't think It's as good.
Greg1989
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow, I feel my post has been ripped apart? :confused:

And I don't hate Matt Smith, just don't see the praise because he's nowhere near as good as DT, but that wasnt really going to happen was it :/
did i say i was doing it now? no i just said i would any time, hope that helps the confusion lol

i dont think its really fair to compare them, partly as they have different writers for their scripts but more because i think its good in showing the evolution of the doctor; eccleston was the darkest as you would expect from his time war incarnation, tennant was dark but had a lot of moments of light hearted and so essentially bridged the gap, where as matt smith the dark moments get a lot rarer much more like he was in the original before the time war....at the end of the day i cant favour either of the other two over mat smith as they mooned over billie piper who i didnt like at all
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
did i say i was doing it now? no i just said i would any time, hope that helps the confusion lol

i dont think its really fair to compare them, partly as they have different writers for their scripts but more because i think its good in showing the evolution of the doctor; eccleston was the darkest as you would expect from his time war incarnation, tennant was dark but had a lot of moments of light hearted and so essentially bridged the gap, where as matt smith the dark moments get a lot rarer much more like he was in the original before the time war....at the end of the day i cant favour either of the other two over mat smith as they mooned over billie piper who i didnt like at all
Mooned over Billie Piper? Rose was epic :-(
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Tennant series were mature, they did deal a lot with the theme of death. On several occasions.

Only in the recent double parter have mature themes been dealt with, though the River Song storyline does (implicitly) deal with Alzheimers.

I'll need to go through them all again. Sigh.
Greg1989
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mooned over Billie Piper? Rose was epic :-(
what was epic about her though? :s

she didnt really do that much most of the time, kind of cool when she looked into the heart of the tardis but the same could be said for anyone that had done that, otherwise to me she was a bit of a meh charachter....she wasnt funny, or especially confrontational with him, she just hung around as people waited to see if the dr would fall for her back but they dragged it out way to long :/
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (542)
37.74%
No - but I will (112)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (98)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.63%

Watched Threads