Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    I always get thoughts about leaving French It's so fun to learn languages and I've learnt so much, it just feels weird to be dropping it. The last lesson will be kinda hard for me! I just really want to focus on my German now
    I remember my last Italian lesson at my old school. Had I stayed there, I would most likely have taken it for GCSE...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_lofsuburbia)
    I remember my last Italian lesson at my old school. Had I stayed there, I would most likely have taken it for GCSE...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    3 language GCSEs? I'd love it, but the coursework would just be... *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    3 language GCSEs? I'd love it, but the coursework would just be... *shudders*
    At that school, you could only pick three subjects (including triple science), so I would probably have chosen triple science, Italian and geography (for EBacc purposes). However, at my school we were given four, so I chose triple science, geography, French and Spanish.
    Goodness, I cannot imagine not taking French...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At that school, you could only pick three subjects (including triple science), so I would probably have chosen triple science, Italian and geography (for EBacc purposes). However, at my school we were given four, so I chose triple science, geography, French and Spanish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At my school we could only take 3! If I had a 4th I probably would've done drama or sociology. For the years below they have to do 4 because my schools now making a language compulsory. Only 24 people took German, 26 took French and I think less took Spanish! I did French, German and geography I wish we had more language opportunities like Bengali or Arabic.
    Ikr! French is such a well-rounded language. As much as I have a love-hate relationship, I honestly think choosing 2 languages was one of the best decisions I ever made

ReputationRep:
    At my school we could only take 3! If I had a 4th I probably would've done drama or sociology. For the years below they have to do 4 because my schools now making a language compulsory. Only 24 people took German, 26 took French and I think less took Spanish! I did French, German and geography I wish we had more language opportunities like Bengali or Arabic.
    Ikr! French is such a well-rounded language. As much as I have a love-hate relationship, I honestly think choosing 2 languages was one of the best decisions I ever made
    At my school IT used to be compulsory, but they decided to make it an option subject (relief), hence the additional option.
    I agree. I only started learning Spanish in year 9, and chose it just before submitting my options form. Spontaneous decisions like that one are the best decisions I make.

ReputationRep:
    At my school IT used to be compulsory, but they decided to make it an option subject (relief), hence the additional option.
    I agree. I only started learning Spanish in year 9, and chose it just before submitting my options form. Spontaneous decisions like that one are the best decisions I make.
    ICT GCSE is a killer

ReputationRep:
    I always get thoughts about leaving French It's so fun to learn languages and I've learnt so much, it just feels weird to be dropping it. The last lesson will be kinda hard for me! I just really want to focus on my German now
    I'm actually not that sad about dropping French, I guess because I enjoy German so much more - but it does seem a bit weird to be dropping it when we've all come so far. Especially within the last two years!

ReputationRep:
    We don't get a prom, which I'm quite glad about It would just be chavs getting drunk, high and having sex whenever they could. Have you checked the exam board websites?
    I think that's afterprom your talking about! Yes I've checked the exam boards, but tbh I'm just going to focus on revision, the exam dates aren't my top priority at the moment
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    I'm on half term, don't know about the rest of us... :P

(Original post by turn-to-page394)
    I do.
    (Original post by Purple-Pixie)
    I'm on half term now, I think the majority of us are
    Very nice.

Any plans on how you'll spend the week? Apart from revising?

ReputationRep:
    Yo GCSEs don't count in life, just party off the rest of the year and get down to work with your A levels that really matter! I'm saying this because I wish someone told me it back when I was your age and I didn't waste the potentially most fun and chilled years of my life fretting over a petty matter like GCSEs that not a single university bar the occasional med school and maybe sometimes Oxford look at. Even so, you still have every chance to get a place at Cambridge with terrible GCSEs since they only really care about your A levels and your brains at interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Very nice.

I'm going out shopping tomorrow for stationary and clothes important things.

Apart from that, I'm not doing anything else.
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by umutalberts)
    bar the occasional med school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All Medical Schools have some sort of GCSE requirement.

I'm going out shopping tomorrow for stationary and clothes important things.

Apart from that, I'm not doing anything else.
    Fair enough. Have a good time!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

I'm going to attempt to get my prom shoes. :O

(i already have my prom dress)

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yikes! I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, French, Computing, History, Geography, English Language and English Literature

Wish I could have done one less (probably Computing)... just the world load lol

Not that it's been that hard so far

ReputationRep:

Yeah but not all of them have anything especially high. As long as you get your As you'll be perfectly fine and in all honesty getting an A is a joke. So chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    I'm going to attempt to get my prom shoes. :O

(i already have my prom dress)
    Nice! I didn't go to prom at the end of Year 11 so have no idea what it's like! I do regret it though, I wish I spent more time going out and about with people but there we go.

Yeah but not all of them have anything especially high. As long as you get your As you'll be perfectly fine and in all honesty getting an A is a joke. So chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, not all of them have high requirements. Although getting an A for everyone isn't as easy as it may be for others.

I've done my GCSEs years ago btw, I was just saying.

ReputationRep:
    My point is if you've been getting good enough grades throughout the year don't worry about them. You'll do fine and the sleepless night before a history exam when you're desperately trying to make sure you know every fact there is to know (which is an impossible task) is not worth it. In fact, if you're not stressed you might as well get better grades in the end. From personal experience: I was consistently good throughout the year and I messed up some actual GCSEs because of exhaustion and stress. And I still got an offer from my top choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Nice! I didn't go to prom at the end of Year 11 so have no idea what it's like! I do regret it though, I wish I spent more time going out and about with people but there we go.
    I got my prom dress last month... January/February is the best time to shop for things like that because of sales.. :P its why I'm getting my prom shoes now because the new season things are coming in now and i have awkward sized feet.. xD

You cant change things now but you can change the future, go to a ball or something in the future. :P

ReputationRep:
    Very nice.

I'll mainly be revising but I'll be meeting up with friends on some days Oh and I have a dentist appointment...fun :rolleyes: What about you (if you're on half term at the moment)?
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    My point is if you've been getting good enough grades throughout the year don't worry about them. You'll do fine and the sleepless night before a history exam when you're desperately trying to make sure you know every fact there is to know (which is an impossible task) is not worth it. In fact, if you're not stressed you might as well get better grades in the end. From personal experience: I was consistently good throughout the year and I messed up some actual GCSEs because of exhaustion and stress. And I still got an offer from my top choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think what you're saying makes a lot of sense, don't get me wrong - I agree with you completely that they're certainly not the be all and end all and that it's really not worth getting too stressed over them.

In contrast, I got rejected from one of my choices when I first applied via UCAS because my GCSEs were slightly on the lower side for one of my choices (Oxford Medicine). I had an OK chance with my GCSEs but they used a combination of entry test marks/GCSEs to decide who to short-list for interview and unfortunately, my combination was slightly below average. Still, got into my top choice this time round.

Congrats on your offer though, where you off to (if you don't mind me asking)?

I got my prom dress last month... January/February is the best time to shop for things like that because of sales.. :P its why I'm getting my prom shoes now because the new season things are coming in now and i have awkward sized feet.. xD

You cant change things now but you can change the future, go to a ball or something in the future. :P
    Haha, I know nothing about shopping so I'll bear that in mind for some time! :lol:

Yeah, that's true!

(Original post by Purple-Pixie)
    I'll mainly be revising but I'll be meeting up with friends on some days Oh and I have a dentist appointment...fun :rolleyes: What about you (if you're on half term at the moment)?
    Sounds awesome! I hate the dentists!

I'm on a gap year (just browse this thread from time to time) so my 'half term' won't end until October when I start uni. Plan on seeing a few films though in the next couple of weeks when my friends are back from uni.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.