Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool and Man City represent the political feeling in Britain.

Not in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    okay, was at work so i missed all the games.
    probably a good thing i wasn't around for so much of this silly trolling.
    i understand general banter; the rivalry of football is essential. but i really don't see much that people can laugh about.

anyway here we go, congrats to anybody who makes it to the end of this post...

(Original post by Stylo92)
    Played whole of the second half with no strikers. Great tactics.
    at this stage, having no striker is better than having balotelli...

(Original post by sr90)
    Who's to say they can't qualify themselves?
    i agree 100%.
    ludogorets have quite frankly been the 2nd best team so far in this group and we're already half way through.
    basel and liverpool are dire - luckily for us we're playing about as bad as it gets and will improve massively once sturridge returns and we can get a flow going.

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
    good night for you guys really..

3-0 is not that embarassing, and ludo beating basel is a pretty great result, as it keeps you guys well on target for 2nd..
    i agree - never ever want to see my team lose at home but you gotta consider the circumstances really.
    ludo are definitely the dark horses of the group; we still have to visit them and that match could be the decider.

(Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    I don't get why lots of you are trolling them lol, Liverpool weren't really going to win against this RM side. But 3-0 at half time, bit poor on your part however. Expected at least a 2-1 scoreline especially with it being at Anfield? Anyway... #nonofmybusiness.
    0-3 at home at HT isn't good but 0-3 at FT looks better albeit still a bad loss at home.
    with respect to the relevant fans, i really don't think arsenal or united would fare any better than that if they played madrid at home right now anyway.

(Original post by samir12)
    Not sure why you are trolling when this was expected lol

You are not going to wind up any Liverpool fans considering we all pretty much accepted a thrashing before the ball was kicked.
    precisely - haven't seen a single liverpool fan who predicted us a win.
    we expect a thrashing but we didn't get that.
    obviously a loss is a loss but i'm glad that we didn't get embarrassed on the big stage.
    can't say i'm looking forward to the reverse fixture though - will sturridge be back for that?

(Original post by jam277)
    Why are so many United fans on this thread?

Liverpool got beat by the better team with their key player injured. I believe that if a striker other than Balotelli was on they could have scored early on and the game is totally different in dynamic. Real probably could have turned you lot into Roma MKII but they were more focused on conserving their energy for Saturday.

Joe Allen is terrible btw doesn't offer anything besides energy, He's basically a more conservative and less powerful Jordan Henderson. Henderson was taken off because Brendan had given up on the game too. Fair enough tbh.
    saved the best post for last.

quite simple there were so many united fans around because they have nothing else to do on a wednesday night...

i won't comment massively on the game because i haven't seen it but considering we (in abysmal form) were up against the european champions (in awesome form) without our key striker/best player really doesn't make this result much of a surprise.
    if anything, the biggest surprise is that it was only 0-3.

balotelli has had it for me - rodgers was generous to play him today and although we were up against madrid, from what i've heard he was as useless as always.
    i've never been a fan of borini and lambert has his own limitations but both are a hundred times more useful than balotelli.
    this may sound stupid but i would seriously consider give him to lille as a sign of goodwill if they terminated origi's loan - fully srs.
    the fact is that this man has made a name for himself more off the pitch than on the pitch; he has the occasional great game but he doesn't have the quality, attitude or consistency to have a place in our club.

we were lucky this was the game prior to El Clasico because it could have been ugly.
    i won't comment on specific players like allen because i haven't seen the match personally, although i do trust your judgement considering you're a relitavely "neutral" fan in this circumstance.

inb4 didn't read.

ReputationRep:
    i know we were dominated (from what i've heard), but why is McNulty so harsh here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29362811

i know he's always loved man united and he's a tool in general, but reading this all i can see is bias and bitterness.
    were we THAT bad?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Last night wasn't a dream then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    To be fair to Liverpool what player out there could they bring in to replace Suarez? There's only really 2 that come to my mind and they are Ronaldo and Messi. Suarez had a huge impact on Liverpool last season. Although BR should have bought quality rather than quantity. I know he wanted to beef up the squad since they're playing more games this season but he's overspent on too many average players. Lovren looks woeful, Lambert will probably be gone next season. BR looked to the future in signing Markovic and Can but he needed ready made players who could step in straight away.

Liverpool will improve when Sturridge returns but it wont be long til he's injured again.
    Full of excuses I'm afraid. His number one target should have been Cavani, he'd have been a solid replacement for Suarez. There's a reason Balotelli moves club every week.

He bought poor poor players, it's another 100M wasted as King Kenny did. This isn't trolling, it's the same as a number of top top football journalists are saying.

ReputationRep:
    Not as bad as King Kenny. Out of KKKennys signings only 2 were a success in Henderson and Suarez. Suarez was already scouted by Benitez supposedly. Henderson obviously was a young signing who wasn't getting a lot of gametime so he needed improvement.

Can needs time. Markovic needs time, Lallana has done ok for the appearances so far but I don't get why Shaqiri wasn't bought instead of Markovic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    it's the same as a number of top top football journalists are saying.
    haha

ReputationRep:
    Not as bad as King Kenny. Out of KKKennys signings only 2 were a success in Henderson and Suarez. Suarez was already scouted by Benitez supposedly. Henderson obviously was a young signing who wasn't getting a lot of gametime so he needed improvement.

Can needs time. Markovic needs time, Lallana has done ok for the appearances so far but I don't get why Shaqiri wasn't bought instead of Markovic.
    Don't think Suarez was scouted by Benitez, but the club were aware of him. Henderson got LOADS of game time, he was just misused/young.

Markovic was bought as a prospect. He's not going to set the world on fire this year. In the coming seasons he'll prove his worth.

Shaqiri was the back up to Lallana, nothing to do with Markovic. Bayern didn't want to let Shaqiri go and when we went back in for him just after the supposed Lallana deal was rejected, we were turned down even though Bild said it was a done deal/Shaqiri wanted to move etc. Shaqiri's said in public a few times that Bayern didn't want to let him leave.

Can showed power and drive and fitted in last night.

I have no problems with any of our signings - except Balotelli. His signing is just a debacle and for all the bullishness I pretty much knew inside it would be lol. I laughed when Arsenal were linked to him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Pedro/Griezmann/Turan/Shaqiri/Konoplyanka/El Shaarawy > Markovic, Remy > Balotelli, Eto'o > Lambert, Valdes > Mignolet.

ReputationRep:
    Main issues with last night are sticking with Balotelli, although you can see why he did play him, and then also playing Glen Johnson (who was asleep at the far post agian). Then you have set piece goal, typical, and again, the Skrtel-Lovren-Gerrard triangle ****ing up for the first goal.

Not sure if Lovren is good enough really at this level, which is disappointing because of what we paid. Get Sakho in, Lovren to the right and then just wait for Ilori to return. Skrtel definitely isn't good enough at this level.

Madrid were like Fifa last night, their interplay was too good for us to handle. Especially because we have no defensive rigidity, system or ability at all. Hope Can is given a start in the return leg, he's a little erratic/raw but he's a winner, you can tell.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Balotelli is becoming a bit of a scapegoat tbf. We have much bigger problems than just him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Balotelli is becoming a bit of a scapegoat tbf. We have much bigger problems than just him.
    True but his poor decision making, not good enough work rate and movement is still a big problem, we are toothless in attack with him upfront alone. Either he scores goals or he provides assists, he does neither. Don't blame him as he needs someone up top with him, so it's more Rodgers fault but he doesn't help himself when he makes poor decisions or misses sitters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shady's back)
    Don't think Suarez was scouted by Benitez, but the club were aware of him. Henderson got LOADS of game time, he was just misused/young.

Markovic was bought as a prospect. He's not going to set the world on fire this year. In the coming seasons he'll prove his worth.

Shaqiri was the back up to Lallana, nothing to do with Markovic. Bayern didn't want to let Shaqiri go and when we went back in for him just after the supposed Lallana deal was rejected, we were turned down even though Bild said it was a done deal/Shaqiri wanted to move etc. Shaqiri's said in public a few times that Bayern didn't want to let him leave.

Can showed power and drive and fitted in last night.

I have no problems with any of our signings - except Balotelli. His signing is just a debacle and for all the bullishness I pretty much knew inside it would be lol. I laughed when Arsenal were linked to him.
    Shaqiri being backup to Lallana is probably the case but in reality Shaqiri and Markovic play in the same positions and are both young wingers with potential, Shaqiri was the better player. If Bayern decided to not sell to you lot specifically then fair enough can't blame Rodgers. But Shaqiri is definitely the better option than Markovic, at this moment anyway.

I was impressed with Can. Should really be in the starting lineup over Joe Allen. Think you're better off just trying to overpower teams in midfield and bully them with pace and power as you don't have the creativity at the moment to play your football of last season. Gerrard, Henderson and Can makes a mean midfield in terms of energy and power. Sterling and Coutinho behind Sturridge(when he's back)

ReputationRep:
    Just read that we've kept 1 clean sheet in 18 games. I knew it was bad, but for a team in the CL/meant to be challenging on all fronts that is horrific. We desperately need to get a defensive coach in or just completely change our training format.

Mignolet needs to be replaced. He is not commanding and is a huge coward. For their 3rd goal last night he should have dived on that ball not **** about trying to kick it

ReputationRep:
    Shaqiri being backup to Lallana is probably the case but in reality Shaqiri and Markovic play in the same positions and are both young wingers with potential, Shaqiri was the better player. If Bayern decided to not sell to you lot specifically then fair enough can't blame Rodgers. But Shaqiri is definitely the better option than Markovic, at this moment anyway.

I was impressed with Can. Should really be in the starting lineup over Joe Allen. Think you're better off just trying to overpower teams in midfield and bully them with pace and power as you don't have the creativity at the moment to play your football of last season. Gerrard, Henderson and Can makes a mean midfield in terms of energy and power. Sterling and Coutinho behind Sturridge(when he's back)
    Markovic is basically Shaqiri before his move, at Basel(?). Anyway, at this stage, I'd have took Shaqiri too, it's just that Rodgers saw Markovic as a prospect he HAD to secure, and Shaqiri was just the alternative to Lallana, and an alternative that we couldn't have got anyway.

Can has been out injured for 6 weeks and did start ahead of Allen at the weekend. He is getting chances and will continue to get them. Allen was just there for ball retention purposes. Everyone knows what Allen does and does not offer, and I would have started him last night just like Brendan did.

Going forward we're just about okay, even with Balo being a passenger. We're just a shambles in defence.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Know who we miss more than Suarez?

Mascherano. Legit.

ReputationRep:
    I love how our defence is actually worse than last year, yet we've improved both fullbacks and "supposedly" improved one CB.

Screw over-paying for players like lovren.
    Pay less and overpay for the best defensive coaches in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shady's back)
    Not sure if Lovren is good enough really at this level, which is disappointing because of what we paid.
    He's interesting because of all your summer signings he seemed to be the best one of the bat. First few games he scored a goal against Dortmund, played out from the back really well. He was looking like a pretty good signing tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Rodgers' no-nonsense management of Balotelli's going to backfire spectacularly.

Never seen a manager so eager to put a player in their place. Didn't he start off their relationship by saying Balo wasn't his first option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Know who we miss more than Suarez?

Mascherano. Legit.
    Yeah he'd have helped.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.