Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali.s1002)
    How are people preparing for MMIs?
    Think about the likely composition of the stations- ethics/teamwork/recent developments in medicine/personal motivation/soft skills and how you want to be able to demonstrate your aptitude in them. If you cover all of these areas and have an inside out knowledge of your personal statement it's a good position to start from. In terms of revising for all of that, make sure you cover off the basics of each area before going into more depth. Remember how to give structure to your answers too; ultimately the test is of if the tutors can imagine you as a doctor- if you can't communicate in a clear, structured and considered way it doesn't really matter how good your knowledge of medical science is.

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to medicine twice before and received straight rejections both times. But I now find myself with 4 interviews (still in genuine disbelief) and no idea how to prepare for an interview or how long preparation should take.

Do I just work my way through the ICS book on Med interviews, read up on med ethics and have knowledge of current affairs?

I just don't want this chance to slip away when, for the first time, I'm starting to believe it's possible to get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine1193)
    hi guys. congrats for those with cambridge offers. if i may ask what are your credentials and what experience do you have. I didn't apply for cambridge this year but if i re apply next year i would like to apply. many thanks.
    Two absolute prerequisites:

1. Extensive and diverse work experience, on which you can give good reflections, firstly in your form and secondly, if you find the chance, at the interview. This might make the difference in the end.
    2. Good grades, in both your A levels that must include Chemistry etc and your degree. There is no admissions exam, and precisely for that reason they will look out for strong evidence of academic strength and motivation.

What is also useful to know: even AFTER the interview they will still also take into account your application. I don't know how much weighing is given to each component but I do think the application (especially the separate form you have to complete) is important. As for me, I might have done average in the interview (70 interviewees, so somewhere among 30-40 best/worst, depends on your perspective ...) but I put in a lot of effort in the application form which might have shifted me to the lucky 24 or 26 who were given offers. I gathered diverse experience and thought about what I gained from each a lot, keeping diaries and a whole blog on it and discussing it with clinicians, family and friends. So I volunteered in a Tanzanian clinic abroad for a month last summer, collected surveys with cancer patients (speaking with individuals for hours) for a year, shadowed doctors in the UK and Italy, volunteered in a hospice in Italy and now work as full-time healthcare assistant in the NHS.

The interview is slightly challenging, it's not vastly different to other med schools but they do want to see how you think. I was completely clueless at one of the stations and did not do that well in others, I made informed/smart guesses and justified them and that is what they probably liked. If you enjoy intellectual discussions, be it on science and/or ethics, they will see it, even through the veil of your anxiety. I thought I had appeared too insecure, as all my fellow interviewees looked very confident, but perhaps it was fine. They must also have liked some of the personal examples which I mentioned in my answers.

(Original post by ali.s1002)
    How are people preparing for MMIs?
    (Original post by prospectmedic)
    Do I just work my way through the ICS book on Med interviews, read up on med ethics and have knowledge of current affairs?
    Yes, read all of the ISC book in a more leisurly mode. Then compile a catalogue of questions and try to answer them, perhaps take notes for the most important ones. Read a lot about medical ethics, google stuff, use the GMC guidance, borrow a book. Keep up with the news, read a few articles on the NHS (google "NHS" and go to the "News" tab and pick a few articles) every day or every other day. Make summaries of those you want to remember and skim the summaries together with your work experience diaries and question catalogue every now and then and in the last days before the interview. Try the practical station type of questions with yourself. Watch videos of consultations on Youtube as several medical schools make you comment on them and also generally do some research what constitutes a good consultation: verbal and non-verbal skills, structure, etc. And if your course is academically rigorous/very sciency, make sure you also keep your scientific mind busy by reading reviews or whatever on topics of interest.

Hope this helps!

Best of luck to you all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albert95)
    For everyone still waiting for Barts, I got a confirmation that interview invitations are still going out

Hang in there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For Grad Entry?

Got a 1st in Biochemistry with a 685 UKCAT and got a bit too hopeful due to them asking for my transcript. I haven't been offered interview or heard back since and I'm a little disappointed

Has anyone else received that "admissions newsletter" about 4 hours ago? It feels like a 'sorry we've not offered you an interview' pamphlet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shellfish002)
    For Grad Entry?

Got a 1st in Biochemistry with a 685 UKCAT and got a bit too hopeful due to them asking for my transcript. I haven't been offered interview or heard back since and I'm a little disappointed

Has anyone else received that "admissions newsletter" about 4 hours ago? It feels like a 'sorry we've not offered you an interview' pamphlet.
    I received it and I have an interview so it's not just sent to those who haven't heard back yet! There's time yet!

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to medicine twice before and received straight rejections both times. But I now find myself with 4 interviews (still in genuine disbelief) and no idea how to prepare for an interview or how long preparation should take.

I just don't want this chance to slip away when, for the first time, I'm starting to believe it's possible to get in!
    Congrats you have 4 interviews! The fact that you have 4 means you should be a pro by the time the last interview rolls around. Practice talking to friends and family and cover those topics and you should be ok

ReputationRep:

I'm in a similar boat to you! Applied out of sixth form and got 4 rejections, now I've got 4 interviews. I was at Southampton last week and it only really hit me that I was in a medicine interview when I got asked the cliche "Why medicine?" question. It's like "wait what, you want me to answer?"

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews and those who have gotten offers!!! Kudos to you guys! Unfortunely I did not make it this year ... You can have a read on my blog http://biomedtomedicine.blogspot.co....pdate.html?m=1
    Where I explain what happened and also let you know the cut off for Barts UKCAT this year - surprisingly low, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if barts will consider you for A100 if you've applied for A101?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My interview preparation curriculum was as follows:
    1. Medical Ethics: loved this doc https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-ethics...ooklet/booklet. Also I found "Medical Ethics: A Very Short Introduction" a good read. There are lots of cases lying around, the cases in the ICS book are good.
    2. Qualities of a good doctor: read GMC guidelines http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/good_...e/contents.asp. They also have some case studies on the website. Also the 6Cs framework may be useful (it is targeted at nurses): https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-conten...a5-leaflet.pdf
    3. Recent medical news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health. A couple of years ago it would have been necessary to read up on the Mid-Staffordshire scandal and the NHS reform, last year on the ebola outbreak. My impression is that this is less relevant now. This year one should make sure to read about the Junior Doctors contract and Jeremy Hunt (and not just for interviews... this stuff will impact your life...)
    4. Know your personal statement in and out, practice reflecting on what you learned during various parts of your work experience, how your background may help you to be a good doctor etc.
    5. The usual stuff along the lines of: why medicine? why this school? why now? why not other healthcare professions?
      I also revised Chemistry and Biology, but that's not required for most medical schools (they don't test sciences at interviews)
    This is all in addition to the ISC book, I found it brilliant. Read the front part (the one with knowledge) a couple of times. If you're doing the MMI, read the MMI specific section a couple of times.
    Also, search YouTube for MMI examples. Lots of schools in the US and Canada use MMI, so there are a few videos out there. Keep in mind, they might not be exactly the same, but it gives you an idea of what may happen during your interview day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily Thorne)
    Congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews and those who have gotten offers!!! Kudos to you guys! Unfortunely I did not make it this year ... You can have a read on my blog http://biomedtomedicine.blogspot.co....pdate.html?m=1
    Where I explain what happened and also let you know the cut off for Barts UKCAT this year - surprisingly low, I think.
    I think that cut off of 2331 is for those with a PhD. Sorry you got rejected from those uni's and I wish you luck with your next application. Although it seems like you have 1 left so all hope is not lost. The wait for Barts is making me go crazy. It hurts even more knowing that the same thing happened during my first time applying. They kept getting giving me hope when I called and then they rejected me in either March or April, after months of waiting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1525)
    Does anyone know if barts will consider you for A100 if you've applied for A101?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No they unfortunately don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No way!!! That's such a drag!!! Good luck this time round! Hopefully you get an interview and offer! - I actually only applied to 3 universities so yeah I'm out of this cycle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creatingchaos)
    I received it and I have an interview so it's not just sent to those who haven't heard back yet! There's time yet!
    Congrats on your interview! I really hope there's still a chance Can I ask what your stats are?

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense. Congrats. You said very kind words. I will try again next year after deep reflection. It felt so real at interview stage and I love the Camdridge Colleges and I liked the way they interviewed us in spite of being unsuccesful . Must work very hard on the Sciences. Let's hope next year will be my year and that we may see each other there. Best of luck with everything.
    (Original post by YeloSweetPotato)
    I am very sorry to hear about the rejection. I felt very down last year but I can only imagine that it is worse for you after having gone farther down the route. I genunely wish you all the best with the other choices.

I have been unhappy with this form too, but after emailing the admissions tutor for clarification I understand that the aim of it is not to eliminate students who will not afford it, but it is more of a check that students understand that Cambridge is not going to offer them support when they suddenly run out of resources to fund themselves during the course, and that they understand that the course is so rigorous that part-time work is not recommended. The admissions tutor also said that the student probably withdrew voluntarily in the past after discussing her situation more thoroughly with the university.
    So ... I am still slightly anxious about this issue but hopeful that no offer will be withdrawn from any applicatns who have done a few calculations before applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanaUS)
    That makes sense. Congrats. You said very kind words. I will try again next year after deep reflection. It felt so real at interview stage and I love the Camdridge Colleges and I liked the way they interviewed us in spite of being unsuccesful . Must work very hard on the Sciences. Let's hope next year will be my year and that we may see each other there. Best of luck with everything.
    I am happy to read this message, yes, that is surely a good attitude! It will also be an advantage that you have had an interview there already, as you will be familiar with the structure. I had an MMI interview last year at a different uni and that experience per se was good preparation for the Cambridge interview this year. In any case, all the best and I'd love to see you then, but if some other choice works out, perhaps you will be happy to take it - as things often compensate for each other in life as if there was balancing justice in this world ... (I had some of my worst days in my life in the past 4 weeks!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YeloSweetPotato)
    Yes, read all of the ISC book in a more leisurly mode. Then compile a catalogue of questions and try to answer them, perhaps take notes for the most important ones. Read a lot about medical ethics, google stuff, use the GMC guidance, borrow a book. Keep up with the news, read a few articles on the NHS (google "NHS" and go to the "News" tab and pick a few articles) every day or every other day. Make summaries of those you want to remember and skim the summaries together with your work experience diaries and question catalogue every now and then and in the last days before the interview. Try the practical station type of questions with yourself. Watch videos of consultations on Youtube as several medical schools make you comment on them and also generally do some research what constitutes a good consultation: verbal and non-verbal skills, structure, etc. And if your course is academically rigorous/very sciency, make sure you also keep your scientific mind busy by reading reviews or whatever on topics of interest.

Hope this helps!

Best of luck to you all!
    You're a legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shellfish002)
    Congrats on your interview! I really hope there's still a chance Can I ask what your stats are?
    787.5 UKCAT, predicted 1st in Medical Science never lose hope! Have you heard back from anywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creatingchaos)
    787.5 UKCAT, predicted 1st in Medical Science never lose hope! Have you heard back from anywhere else?
    How did you revise for the UKCAT if you don't mind - any tips will be much appreciated thank you :-)

ReputationRep:
    MBBS4, SGUL Nicosia, Med School;
    Today is Tuesday, and I just had my MMI today for SGUL Nicosia!!!

I am so elated, but I do not want to crush myself and get rejected either.

We are not allowed to speak of the particulars, and I will respect that.

I just wanted to share my enthusiasm and encourage others at least today.

I wish the best to everyone trying to move forward in the process.

Chris Raabe, "Biomedical Physics 2015 graduate, Wayne State, Uni, Detroit, MI USA"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.