Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Remember to bring everything the Student Finance people have ever sent you!
    Oh ok! I have packed all the letters, but they're not exactly accessible.. will I need them for registration?

ReputationRep:
    how about a TSR meet-up at some point? not during fresher's, that's packed, and everyone will be settling in academically in the first couple of weeks, but it'd be a good opportunity to meet more people from other colleges for those not heavily into societies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCarmady)
    how about a TSR meet-up at some point? not during fresher's, that's packed, and everyone will be settling in academically in the first couple of weeks, but it'd be a good opportunity to meet more people from other colleges for those not heavily into societies...
    Sounds like fun to me!

Anyways, I've been in Oxford for two days now and it's good fun but a little overwhelming. I'm sort of jealous of people at other universities who have a little group of flatmates to go out with whereas here you're kind of out with the whole of the college freshers and there's just so many people and SO MANY NAMES xD
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I swear I just posted in here, but it appears to have disappeared. Ho hum.

So now that most (all?) of us are here... when does the courtesy period on the invasion of the 'Oxford chat thread' proper end?

EDIT:
    Also, this is the best internet connection I've ever had

ReputationRep:
    Two words:

Lava ignite.

D: D: D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)
    Two words:

Lava ignite.

Were you there? I literally just got home from there, it was so good! I've got to meet my tutor tommorrow (technically today I guess) morning so I kinda need to sleep but I really enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    I swear I just posted in here, but it appears to have disappeared. Ho hum.

So now that most (all?) of us are here... when does the courtesy period on the invasion of the 'Oxford chat thread' proper end?

EDIT:
    Also, this is the best internet connection I've ever had

i have the same, only the upload is as fast as the downloads, too. but we're not allowed to download anything illegal, so where's the fun, eh?
    yeah, i thought i'm good with names, but not really, apparently...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCarmady)
    i have the same, only the upload is as fast as the downloads, too. but we're not allowed to download anything illegal, so where's the fun, eh?
    Well, you know what they say...

Anyway, if I might make a suggestion for freshers looking for things to do, tomorrow evening is the first OU Alts Ice Hockey of term.
    You can just turn up, pay a small fee, and ply ice hockey. http://www.oxford-alts.org.uk/
    (Sadly I won't be there, but will return on Friday).

I would also very much recommend going to the fresher's fare at the Exam Schools, and going through every aisle of every room, signing up to anything that takes your fancy. You can always back out of a society later if it turns out to be a bit dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in Oxford. Met a few TSRers already. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)
    Two words:

Lava ignite.

I keep getting really confused when Freshers are talking about Lava Ignite.

It takes me a while to realise they are referring to Park End..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    Were you there? I literally just got home from there, it was so good! I've got to meet my tutor tommorrow (technically today I guess) morning so I kinda need to sleep but I really enjoyed it.
    It was just really crazy!

ReputationRep:
    I need help! Will meet my college advisor today; dress code is "smart" - does that mean business attire or smart casual? Will a tie be needed?

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    So Oxford is the most awesome place ever.
    All agreed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    Sounds good! It might be a bit tricky to find a time we can all do though ...

Probably not until we run out of space on this one! :rolleyes:
    Actually, I was going to suggest you all start moving over to the real one fairly soon! I'll be de-pinking this one shortly.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to the Freshers' Fair in about half an hour. With that in mind:

(from here)

ReputationRep:
    UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGG GGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH.

The barman just poisoned me.

Tonic water = fizzy water than glows in the dark, not ****ing triple-strength vodka.

I am going to die. I don't drink because my have a crap digestive system (pun unintened) and now my guts are on fire. Help, please?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    I'm going to the Freshers' Fair in about half an hour..
    Tell me I'm not the only person who thought it was an absolute nightmare. There was a massive queue when I arrived and I realised after a couple of minutes that I didn't want to be there. But the crowd control staff (I've seen far friendlier Hell's Angels on guard at the Bulldog Bash) said that this was impossible and I just had to follow the one way system through the fair; presumably this is to force us through the commercial stuff. It took me 25 minutes to work my way through to the exit while ignoring, by now as a matter of principle, all of the stalls and aggressive leafleting.

IMHO we're there on completely spurious grounds. There would be dozens of far more productive ways of introducing us to the societies and clubs on offer. The main aim of Freshers' Fair seems to be more about shepherding thousands of potential pizza junkies past the Domino's pushers. :rant:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoshin)
    Tell me I'm not the only person who thought it was an absolute nightmare. There was a massive queue when I arrived and I realised after a couple of minutes that I didn't want to be there. But the crowd control staff (I've seen far friendlier Hell's Angels on guard at the Bulldog Bash) said that this was impossible and I just had to follow the one way system through the fair; presumably this is to force us through the commercial stuff. It took me 25 minutes to work my way through to the exit while ignoring, by now as a matter of principle, all of the stalls and aggressive leaflet pushers.

IMHO we're there on completely spurious grounds. There would be dozens of far more productive ways of introducing us to the societies and clubs on offer. The main aim of Freshers' Fair seems to be more about shepherding thousands of potential pizza junkies past the Domino's pushers. :rant:
    Speaking from the other side as a stallholder, it's a nightmare for us as well. getting up early - often after being out the previous night - for several days running, standing around for hours on end with a crush of people moving past you and making you claustraphobic, getting rejected again and again and again by sneering people who are only there for the rugby... But we (the archery stall) have about 300-400 people signed up to the mailing list now, and we ran out of flyers three times. Mostly because I was slightly over-zealous in handing them out... I do apologise. So it's a trial, but it is productive.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoshin)
    Tell me I'm not the only person who thought it was an absolute nightmare. There was a massive queue when I arrived and I realised after a couple of minutes that I didn't want to be there. But the crowd control staff (I've seen far friendlier Hell's Angels on guard at the Bulldog Bash) said that this was impossible and I just had to follow the one way system through the fair; presumably this is to force us through the commercial stuff. It took me 25 minutes to work my way through to the exit while ignoring, by now as a matter of principle, all of the stalls and aggressive leaflet pushers.

Hmm, I don't think my experience of it was as bad as yours, but it certainly was tedious for much of it. It was worth it for the last room, though (Star Trek soc, Speculative Fiction group, RPG soc, origami). I would have been much happier if it had been more open, perhaps with a map with the areas on, so I could head straight to the mega-nerd room and skip the sports etc stuff. I know you aren't alone, though; my friend at LMH sent me a text suggesting he'd found it pretty miserable

BTW, you're a mature student, right? How are you finding it all from that point of view?

ReputationRep:
    I've helped run stalls for a few years now, and agree that it leaves much to be desired in some respects.
    Then again, the exams schools is only so big, and it's enough hassle running it on three days already, without lengthening it further to reduce overcrowding.

Luckily by the time I arrived for my shift earlier today, it was already starting to close, and I could whiz round (taking shortcuts) without too much difficulty.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.