Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Hello everyone, long time no see hope you're all well
    How were your finals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    My mate is involved in an evaluation of Keele's attendance policies and given that he knows I use this site, has asked me to post a question in this thread about other schools' attendance policies. If some of you could answer the following questions about your schools, that'd be awesome.

A) Which sessions are compulsory? Practical components only; lectures and seminars optional but pretty much everyone goes. Attendance expected at tutorials.
    B) What happens if you miss a compulsory session? Not much. Tutorials depend on the tutor.
    C) What happens if you continually miss compulsory sessions? Not aware of it having occurred.
    D) Do you feel the system is appropriate? Yes.
    la la ala

ReputationRep:
    My mate is involved in an evaluation of Keele's attendance policies and given that he knows I use this site, has asked me to post a question in this thread about other schools' attendance policies. If some of you could answer the following questions about your schools, that'd be awesome.

A) Which sessions are compulsory?
    B) What happens if you miss a compulsory session?
    C) What happens if you continually miss compulsory sessions?
    D) Do you feel the system is appropriate?
    A) Any registered sessions - placements, group teachings, practicals but NOT lectures.
    B) Nothing usually
    C) Probably get an email
    D) I would say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    Results day tomorrow Not looking forward to that!

In other news I really have no idea what to do about student finance with regards to an iBSc...seemed to get a mixed view on what to do! Some people have been told to write an official letter to them explaining the whole iBSc process, whilst I've only changed the course code online (and added an extra year of studies) and applied for max of everything as usual... At the moment it says £0 tuition fees

I've phoned up and the guy said just wait til the assessment stuff goes through and take it from there

[SIZE="1"]Then again should I end up failing tomorrow this would all have been pointless :rolleyes:[/SIZE]
    I'm still struggling with SFE even after filling out a paper application with a covering letter on top of my usual online application. I didn't have a course code, though, which I think complicated matters. Another two weeks to wait for an altered Declaration letter...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    See above
    We have gone with lectures being completely voluntary, and we have the problem of poor attendance (the fact that all our lectures are recorded probably does not help).

This has caused problems with getting providers to do the lectures, so there cons with both methods.

I think compulsory would be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    We have gone with lectures being completely voluntary, and we have the problem of poor attendance (the fact that all our lectures are recorded probably does not help).

This has caused problems with getting providers to do the lectures, so there cons with both methods.

I think compulsory would be better.
    I have no problem with lectures being compulsory, and in fact think my uni should be more stringent about attendance at all sessions. It irritates the hell out of me when registers get ignored, because people then don't get picked up on their non-attendance. We're at the stage where I'm starting to see my fellow students as the people who'll be treating my hypothetical grandmother in the not too distant future, and if they can't be arsed to show up to teaching then I don't really have any faith in their commitment to being a good doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Seems my med school is looking like one of the stricter ones...

ReputationRep:
    OMG - closest thing ever - as you guys know I've hated the BSc year - and to be honest mucked around - but fortunately due to the oral viva I was upgraded to a 2:1 :O

Thank god for that, never ever ever doing anything academic again and glad to have survive unscathed.

Phewwww - holiday times now eh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    OMG - closest thing ever - as you guys know I've hated the BSc year - and to be honest mucked around - but fortunately due to the oral viva I was upgraded to a 2:1 :O

Thank god for that, never ever ever doing anything academic again and glad to have survive unscathed.

Phewwww - holiday times now eh
    Congrats :party:

(Drinks = def yes. So long as any anti-BSc ranting is not met with "I told you so" :tongue:)

ReputationRep:

a) pretty much everything apart from lectures is registered. But professional behaviour is assessed from attendance to clinical skills and CBL/PBL
    b) you may or may not get an email asking where you've been
    c) they say they take it seriously, but do they? no. You'll just have a meeting with the professional behaviour lead and give your reasons. If poor attendance continues you may have to argue your case at a hearing with the course coordinators.
    d) i guess so.
    Edit: Goerge's have been notorious this year for losing registers and forms so system would have been great if it wasn't for that

ReputationRep:
    I'm still struggling with SFE even after filling out a paper application with a covering letter on top of my usual online application. I didn't have a course code, though, which I think complicated matters. Another two weeks to wait for an altered Declaration letter...
    I just know this is going to go badly since SFE never do things right the first time for me :argh:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Urrrgh exam tomorrow :s:

ReputationRep:

A) Groupwork is compulsory - registered. Lectures are also meant to be compulsory, some lectures were also registered such as for the module 'Health Psychology' perhaps because they knew a lot of students see it as a bit of a redundant subject. And in Phase 2 (the clinical placements) we're also registered for lectures and consultants fill a form on attendance, professionalism but I've never known anyone to have an issue with this.
    B) If you miss more than 3 sessions of that subject in a semester they will enquire why. Leicester have a yellow form system where they can record things like poor attendance, attitude problems etc without notification to the student at all and also pass this info to the deaneries you apply for foundation applications (). Theres also a warning system, green, amber and red.
    C) Above.
    D) Don't think the yellow form system is particularly fair, I would be fine if they filled in a form and notified the student so they would change their behaviour, but to go on filling them and no word to the student at all is a bit worrying.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with lectures being compulsory, and in fact think my uni should be more stringent about attendance at all sessions. It irritates the hell out of me when registers get ignored, because people then don't get picked up on their non-attendance. We're at the stage where I'm starting to see my fellow students as the people who'll be treating my hypothetical grandmother in the not too distant future, and if they can't be arsed to show up to teaching then I don't really have any faith in their commitment to being a good doctor.
    I've known people to sign the register and leave. This doesn't bother me in the slightest in regards to lecture registers we used to have, as some people don't learn by lectures at all - but in clinical placements it looks bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    A) Groupwork is compulsory - registered. Lectures are also meant to be compulsory, some lectures were also registered such as for the module 'Health Psychology' perhaps because they knew a lot of students see it as a bit of a redundant subject. And in Phase 2 (the clinical placements) we're also registered for lectures and consultants fill a form on attendance, professionalism but I've never known anyone to have an issue with this.
    B) If you miss more than 3 sessions of that subject in a semester they will enquire why. Leicester have a yellow form system where they can record things like poor attendance, attitude problems etc without notification to the student at all and also pass this info to the deaneries you apply for foundation applications (). Theres also a warning system, green, amber and red.
    C) Above.
    D) Don't think the yellow form system is particularly fair, I would be fine if they filled in a form and notified the student so they would change their behaviour, but to go on filling them and no word to the student at all is a bit worrying.
    I agree, really not fair to put things one someone's permanent record without telling them it has even been put there.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

A) Which sessions are compulsory? Seminars, Clinical skills, DR sessions and PBL
    B) What happens if you miss a compulsory session? I suspect for the first 3, nothing but PBL the tutor would probably ask you why.
    C) What happens if you continually miss compulsory sessions? You'd fail professionalism and fail the year.
    D) Do you feel the system is appropriate? Yes, PBL tends to be the only one where if you fail to turn up it affects others whereas you are only hurting yourself for the others.
    Replied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    How were your finals?
    I passed finals woo hoo! I am now Dr Sarky

How were yours?

ReputationRep:

A) Which sessions are compulsory? Technically, pretty much all of them, but lectures are not registered and it is impossible to keep track of who regularly turns up out of a year of 260. Tutorials, seminars, clinical visits, DR sessions and lab sessions are registered, and I think that a certain pre-determined number of lab sessions and seminars have their registers collected and looked at in order to assess attendance. Registers for seminars require you to sign against your photo to stop people signing each other in.
    B) What happens if you miss a compulsory session? In the DR, you are allowed one "freebie" whereby you can miss a session, fill in the absence report form with a reason and they will take your word for it. From then on, you have to back up each absence with a GP letter, etc, or you get an email from admin. If you miss a GP visit you are expected to make your apologies in advance, inform the course office and reschedule in your own time. Missing seminars and labs generally leads to emails.
    C) What happens if you continually miss compulsory sessions? I could only find the policy for our Professional Development module. For missed clinical visits:
    Failure to provide evidence of attendance on clinical visits, without notification as
    above, will result in reduction of coursework marks in line with the following scale,
    irrespective of the quality of coursework submitted:
    Single missed visit 10%
    2 missed visits 20%
    3-4 missed visits 50%
    >4 missed visits 75%
    The same scale applies to missed clinical skills sessions and seminars, and to timely submission of the workbook at the end of the year, and marks lost accumulate if you combine missed visits with missed sessions. The DR are also really hot on attendance, but I've not encountered the consequences of continually missing dissection.

I think so. For certain modules (i.e. the ones that pod/vodcast all their lectures), the attendance of lectures drops like a stone after a couple of weeks, leading to emails threatening to take away the podcasts if it doesn't pick up. But they don't seem to really mind non-attendance of lectures so long as it doesn't take the piss (one public health lecture last semester had about 50 people in it), because the content is easy enough to self teach. There aren't enough small group sessions to make it particularly onerous to get to them, so I think that the coursework deductions are fair.
    Bolded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I passed finals woo hoo! I am now Dr Sarky

How were yours?
    Well done Dr Sarky.

ReputationRep:

For the first 2 years: 'Medicine in Practice' one afternoon a week. Some 'Student Selected Units'. Lectures are unregistered. Tutorials for my year are unregistered. Although we had such bad attendance that the freshers are now registered. There are some people in my year I only ever see exam days!
    I think you're allowed to miss a couple of 'Medicine in Practice' sessions but it largely depends on who your GP/hospital doctor is.
    No idea.

Seems to. Although some times our attendance at certain lectures is shameful. We've literally had lectures where less than 10 people have attended out of a year of 210.
    Bolded

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.