The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I really wasn't that fond of Rose.
Rose was needed. That's all there is to it tbh. Added drama when she left.
Reply 4282
Original post by Colonel.
Rose was needed. That's all there is to it tbh. Added drama when she left.

i kind of see what you mean but at the same time she kept leaving and coming back, rose and leaving was like rory and death, the only difference being i hope each time rory will be back :tongue:
Original post by Greg1989
what was epic about her though? :s

she didnt really do that much most of the time, kind of cool when she looked into the heart of the tardis but the same could be said for anyone that had done that, otherwise to me she was a bit of a meh charachter....she wasnt funny, or especially confrontational with him, she just hung around as people waited to see if the dr would fall for her back but they dragged it out way to long :/

Well she was his companion really, she was more of a companion and she was supportive.

I found that the characters got more involved, let's not forget Doctor Who was newly brought back with the Rose series so the plots..

Series 1 - Rose & Jack, Rose was sent back, heart of the Tardis. Rose's thing was 'Bad Wolf' up until the 4th series and she'll be known as it.

Series 2 - Rose in Torchwood, she died, she says at the start it's the story of how she died so really we were anticipating it.

Series 3 - Martha saved the world, really big part and here on the companions start to get really involved.

Series 4 - Donna 'most important woman' etc.. saved the universe.

Series 5 - Amy & Rory, Amy didn't really have that much involvement tbh.

Out of all the companions I think Rose was the one most loved by the Doctor..
i kind of see what you mean but at the same time she kept leaving and coming back, rose and leaving was like rory and death, the only difference being i hope each time rory will be back :tongue:

Erm, Rose was brought back because it created tension. We all wanted her to be brought back. Oh and she was brought back once when the walls between the universes were breaking.

She also had an appearance at the end of the one before DT regenerated but that was her old self, her being there was completely justified.

So really she's been brought back once.. ? But the Doctor always greeved her death, and this was echoed through it. The witched 'and calls upon the distant .. Rose?" etc
I've stated my hate for Amy before, so...
Original post by Colonel.
I've stated my hate for Amy before, so...

Page?
Reply 4287
Original post by Miracle Day
Well she was his companion really, she was more of a companion and she was supportive.

I found that the characters got more involved, let's not forget Doctor Who was newly brought back with the Rose series so the plots..

Series 1 - Rose & Jack, Rose was sent back, heart of the Tardis. Rose's thing was 'Bad Wolf' up until the 4th series and she'll be known as it.

Series 2 - Rose in Torchwood, she died, she says at the start it's the story of how she died so really we were anticipating it.

Series 3 - Martha saved the world, really big part and here on the companions start to get really involved.

Series 4 - Donna 'most important woman' etc.. saved the universe.

Series 5 - Amy & Rory, Amy didn't really have that much involvement tbh.

Out of all the companions I think Rose was the one most loved by the Doctor..

exactly she was just there really most of the time but did little, to me thats not entertainment, il agree she was the most loved by him given the fact he fell in love with her and his clone (for want of a better description) left with her

Erm, Rose was brought back because it created tension. We all wanted her to be brought back. Oh and she was brought back once when the walls between the universes were breaking.

She also had an appearance at the end of the one before DT regenerated but that was her old self, her being there was completely justified.

So really she's been brought back once.. ? But the Doctor always greeved her death, and this was echoed through it. The witched 'and calls upon the distant .. Rose?" etc

first off we didnt all want her broght back :tongue:

id argue the end of the first season as well, if i remember my series numbers right, as really she should have died from looking into the heart of the tardis but was saved only in a last ditch dramatic moment (although true it was bringing her back from the brink),

then there is how she came back and saved donna in turn left then went again more or less till the finale

i dont see how it was justified that rose was the one to warn about the universe winking out really, she had left for another dimension someone else easily could have warned him
exactly she was just there really most of the time but did little, to me thats not entertainment, il agree she was the most loved by him given the fact he fell in love with her and his clone (for want of a better description) left with her

first off we didnt all want her broght back :tongue:

id argue the end of the first season as well, if i remember my series numbers right, as really she should have died from looking into the heart of the tardis but was saved only in a last ditch dramatic moment (although true it was bringing her back from the brink),

then there is how she came back and saved donna in turn left then went again more or less till the finale

i dont see how it was justified that rose was the one to warn about the universe winking out really, she had left for another dimension someone else easily could have warned him

Dude, nobody expected her to die. When a character is going to be killed off or leave the show they announce it beforehand to the public so you can't count that.

Oh and speak for yourself with your usage of 'We' because I wanted her back, I thought most would've wanted her back - atleast as another appearance. In all honesty if the Doctor could enter a machine which makes him go back to his other regeneration, and then Rose came back I'd love it.

I'd also love it if the Doctor could have Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy and Rory all on the Tardis again, and for Sarah Jane's funeral I'd like to see Jack, Martha, Micky, Gwen and the Doctor there.

additionally, maybe to replace SJA we could have a spin off of Rose's adventures with the clone Doctor? :tongue:
Dude, nobody expected her to die. When a character is going to be killed off or leave the show they announce it beforehand to the public so you can't count that.

Oh and speak for yourself with your usage of 'We' because I wanted her back, I thought most would've wanted her back - atleast as another appearance. In all honesty if the Doctor could enter a machine which makes him go back to his other regeneration, and then Rose came back I'd love it.

I'd also love it if the Doctor could have Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy and Rory all on the Tardis again, and for Sarah Jane's funeral I'd like to see Jack, Martha, Micky, Gwen and the Doctor there.

additionally, maybe to replace SJA we could have a spin off of Rose's adventures with the clone Doctor? :tongue:

I think that bringing things back was one of the defining themes of the RTD era, and something that really can't continue. Like the way he repeatedly brought back the daleks, as if he was too scared to have his own ideas for a season finale. If things were to carry on that way viewers would get bored, the show would stagnate and eventually it would be cancelled. One of the key points of shows that carry on for years is their ability to bring new ideas, something which Doctor Who does very well (in fact it is kind of a central element), and would be worse for losing.
Original post by Bobifier
I think that bringing things back was one of the defining themes of the RTD era, and something that really can't continue. Like the way he repeatedly brought back the daleks, as if he was too scared to have his own ideas for a season finale. If things were to carry on that way viewers would get bored, the show would stagnate and eventually it would be cancelled. One of the key points of shows that carry on for years is their ability to bring new ideas, something which Doctor Who does very well (in fact it is kind of a central element), and would be worse for losing.

Moffat said earlier that the Daleks are having a 'rest' for a while :tongue:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Same. :jumphug: we can be lonely together :ahee:

Can I join?
Original post by Aula
I gave in :colondollar:

Post exam bliss made me.

You may go sit in the corner :yes:

Original post by Pandora.
Just popped in to say that apparently River's identity has been revealed. I'm restraining myself from reading the spoilers, but I'll put a link to the thread involved in a spoiler. Not sure how well it's going down on DS...

Spoiler

I was browsing TSR and DS on my phone so I couldn't read the spoilers anyway. :tongue:

Meanie!

Original post by cambo211
I really wasn't that fond of Rose.

Neither was I
Reply 4292

Rose was awful.
Reply 4293
I personally thought that the show needed a bit of childishness, especially as its target audience is children. David was a shakespeare actor so of course he's going to be good at acting tradgedy etc. I think Matt Smith has brought a sort of 'Sherlock Holmes' feel into the mix with his deductions.

In the most recent episode i thought the doctor was quite adult, i barely saw any childish aspects and i think this is good as every new regeneration of the Doctor needs some time to settle in and figure out what aspects of the Doctor they are going to draw on. :smile:
Reply 4294

i was merely pointing out with we that not everyone wanted her back after you initially saying 'we all wanted her back' :tongue:

it would be good to have them there, they actually tried to do a rose spin off at one time but RTD blocked it saying that 'it was a spin off to far' after torchwood and SJA had been made. In a way I hope they dont try and replace the SJA adventures at all or do something silly like try and carry it on without her in it, much better to drop that whole more kids orientated spin off idea as a mark of respect for her :smile: such a shame she died as she was relatively young :/
Are you serious? Childish? In this series Matt Smith is so childish it annoys me, "ewww bogies" - "Jelly baby?" and all that childish stuff.

Plus.. how many times must we see Rory die?

But seriously, I've watched every single episode of the old and new Doctor, I was a die-hard fan, I used to be so sad as to watch it on the day every single day. It might be something to do with the fact I feel DW neglected the old greats.. plus the fact it's less relevant to us these days. In the old DW I liked the episodes in modern day UK etc.. I don't think there's been one with Matt Smith? The only one I saw was that episode on the Sarah Jane Adventures with the Shan Sheesh etc.

But during Tennant's era, how many times did we have to see him snog someone? (Still love you, Tennant, but the 10th Doctor is a slut). And as for Matt Smith being childish, yes he is, and it's fantastic. Besides, the tenth Doctor was hardly mature either. *puts on gas mask* "Are you my mummy?" :lol: Don't say that's mature. Also, he was constantly licking things. Bit odd really. I half expected him to do it to the Master...:rolleyes: I love Tennant and Smith, but you can't really compare them, yes they're the same character but parts of the Doctor change when he regenerates, that's why the series has lasted so long!

Just had a vision of Daleks in sun loungers eating jammy dodgers....:rolleyes:

He also said that he just meant the current series.
Reply 4298
Original post by Oncoming Storm
Just had a vision of Daleks in sun loungers eating jammy dodgers....:rolleyes:

i would literally pay to see this, possibly some palm trees in the background being served exotic cocktails to drink
Original post by Bobifier
I can't help but feel that Matt Smith is lacking something. David Tennant was capable of being ridiculous but at the same time being 900 years old and carrying the emotional baggage of killing the Time Lords. Matt Smith does the ridiculous very well, but I think he finds it harder to be serious and cope with some of the depth of the character.

That said, I think he is much better this series than he was last time, and my opinion in this regard will probably have changed by series 7.

No, I totally disagree. In the Beast Below I saw Matt Smith acting and I thought "He's actually acting like a 907 year old Time Lord who has only recently regenerated and has also seen his entire race destroyed, again." And he was, he just seemed really tired of being put in these horrible situations, like making the Star Whale into a vegetable. He does dark very nicely. Favourite line of series 5 is still "Nobody human has anything to say to me today!"

Plus, he kicked a Dalek.
(edited 12 years ago)