Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollipopsftw)
    I'm sorry, what I meant was that there isn't any evidence (recent or old) that he has signed someone £25-30m+
    I know money isn't what makes a player, but still, buying players around that figure or even higher would definitely help due to their status, they aren't valued at that for no reason. And I think Wenger has around £70m to spend!
    You said it yourself, money isn't what makes a player. For every Silva, we could end up with a Veron, and we just aren't at that level to make a purchase like that and write it off so nonchalantly. Also, 70m isn't a lot. If rumours are to be believed, Andy Carroll's just made a permanent move to West Ham in a deal worth about 40m in total. (15.5m + 2m extras and 100k a week wages for 6 years), 70m will get us one player who's value is 25-30m.
    It is brilliant we do have the money now though, and I trust Wenger's judgement; if he can guide us through the most difficult period in our history so competently, I have full faith a more financially relaxed period can bring out the best in him as a manager.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people act like the future wages of a player is part of the transfer budget when it clearly isn't? If the transfer budget is 70mil, then that means 70mil to spend on transfer fees. Sure, wages have to be considered, but not as part of that budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    We really need to make a strong start; the first two months have winnable but not easy games: Aston Villa at home should be a win but will be unpredictable given Villa are going through a bit of a squad overhaul again, Tottenham is always going to be a difficult game even at home, Sunderland away and Stoke at home are both significant potential banana-skins, and Fulham and Swansea away are most certainly challenging games. If we can come through that unscathed/undefeated, I'll be very happy - October looks like a much easier affair, and a good showing over this period would put us in a very good position by the time we face Liverpool and United. December looks like hell, though. Christmas week = :afraid: Chelsea followed by two difficult away games. Quite pleased with the look of that run-in, though, if we manage to get our acts together I think it could be similar to this season's. :cute:
    I actually don't think the christmas period is too bad. Sure, up to the 21st, December is a tough month. But the fixtures that usually worry me are the 26th, 28th and new years day, because they all come so fast But for us this year, they look like winnable fixtures.

You could say "difficult away games" but if we aren't confident of getting 9 points from WH, Newcastle and Cardiff, then we're not even gonna be challenging for top 4.

ReputationRep:
    Quote isn't working for season reason.

"Looking at the opening 9 games, as earlier mentioned, we definitely need 23+ points, even 25/27. We can't afford the false starts we've made in the past two seasons (2011/12 we only had 13 points from 9 games, and last year only 15 from the same time period). That Feb-March period is going to be a really tough cluster of games, especially if we're still playing in any cup competitions at the same time. If we make it through there in decent shape, then the last 5 games should be 15 points in the bank."

Meh, I think it's pretty clear to everyone, even to some Arsenal fans, that you're not title contenders. You just need to get as many points possible from the midtable and lower table teams to secure 4th place, I suppose.
    ¯\(°_o)/¯

There there, Arturo. The capital one cup is still a possibility!

(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    I actually don't think the christmas period is too bad. Sure, up to the 21st, December is a tough month. But the fixtures that usually worry me are the 26th, 28th and new years day, because they all come so fast But for us this year, they look like winnable fixtures.

You could say "difficult away games" but if we aren't confident of getting 9 points from WH, Newcastle and Cardiff, then we're not even gonna be challenging for top 4.
    Well, I suppose everything's on paper at this stage but I was looking at it in context of the two away games being right after Chelsea; we've seen how dependent on morale Wenger's teams can be, so it's a potentially dangerous situation to have in my opinion. Also, again in context, I don't think away games at an Allardycified Upton Park and St James Park within two days of each other is a particularly easy set of fixtures by any standards - I would definitely have wanted at least one of those to be a home game. I hadn't even factored in the Cardiff game right after that - but yeah, that should hopefully be an easier affair. In fact, January looks like it's set up to give us a bit of reprieve, tbh.

(Original post by The Assassin)

"Looking at the opening 9 games, as earlier mentioned, we definitely need 23+ points, even 25/27. We can't afford the false starts we've made in the past two seasons (2011/12 we only had 13 points from 9 games, and last year only 15 from the same time period). That Feb-March period is going to be a really tough cluster of games, especially if we're still playing in any cup competitions at the same time. If we make it through there in decent shape, then the last 5 games should be 15 points in the bank."

Meh, I think it's pretty clear to everyone, even to some Arsenal fans, that you're not title contenders. You just need to get as many points possible from the midtable and lower table teams to secure 4th place, I suppose.
    ¯\(°_o)/¯
    To be fair, he hasn't said we're going to be challenging for the title and I don't think the targets he's suggested are entirely inconceivable. :nah: 23 points out of the first nine games is certainly very ambitious but those are all winnable games (my own prediction would probably be quite a bit lower, but I don't think what he's suggested is delusional at all), as are the five games at the end (again, I myself would never think of points being guaranteed, but it's more than fine to have a bit of hope! :p:).

ReputationRep:

¯\(°_o)/¯

There there, Arturo. The capital one cup is still a possibility!
    You chelsea fan seem to be scared that we might actually challenge for the title. So quick to try and bring it up. What Abiraleft said.

Anyways, on the fixture, I agree with Arturo, it's the March fixtures that worries me. And once again, we finish with an away game. Third season in a roll now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I agree, they're mostly mid-table/lower teams so you should aim to get many points out of them. Maybe he didn't suggest that but it seems to amongst some people in this thread, when in my opinion, I don't expect you to get higher than 4th even if the opening games aren't as bad they have been before :no:. Maybe in 2014/2015 though

@419

Yeah man, I'm quite worried Le Prof (the best manager in the premier league, init Zurich?), will make some superb signings this time that'll be sure to make your team better than ours and the two Manchester teams! :rolleyes:

I agree, they're mostly mid-table/lower teams so you should aim to get many points out of them. Maybe he didn't suggest that but it seems to amongst some people in this thread, when in my opinion, I don't expect you to get higher than 4th even if the opening games aren't as bad they have been before :no:. Maybe in 2014/2015 though

@419

Yeah man, I'm quite worried Le Prof (the best manager in the premier league, init Zurich?), will make some superb signings this time that'll be sure to make your team better than ours and the two Manchester teams! :rolleyes:
    I think we have an outside chance at 3rd, but that's dependent on the teams that finished above us last season doing worse this time around (and one of the teams - could be any one of them really, in my opinion - cocking up in particular). Like the last two seasons, I'm going to make a tentative 3rd-5th prediction, with 4th being likeliest.

I wouldn't really consider any prediction made before the end of August or so to be much more than very general speculation, though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think we have an outside chance at 3rd, but that's dependent on the teams that finished above us last season doing worse this time around (and one of the teams - could be any one of them really, in my opinion - cocking up in particular). Like the last two seasons, I'm going to make a tentative 3rd-5th prediction, with 4th being likeliest.

I wouldn't really consider any prediction made before the end of August or so to be much more than very general speculation, though. :p:
    So we are going to get rid of some deadwood players this season, have all the starting 11 stay, buy new players (potential and starting) and have the advantage of stability in management in comparison to all the other top clubs but still only manage 4th place like last season? I really don't understand the negativity. We might not win the title but there is enough on our plate to certainly make a strong challenge. The fixture list does actually give us some hope especially the first few months. The Christmas period is going to be difficult for all the teams and playing Chelsea during this time, I see as an advantage as the momentum we will hopefully have before that game will allow us to reduce the deficit between us and them (if we win!). We can't rely on beating the lower teams to win the title and playing top teams when they have a congested fixture themselves (during Christmas) could work in our favour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollipopsftw)
    I'm sorry, what I meant was that there isn't any evidence (recent or old) that he has signed someone £25-30m+
    I know money isn't what makes a player, but still, buying players around that figure or even higher would definitely help due to their status, they aren't valued at that for no reason. And I think Wenger has around £70m to spend!
    He doesn't spend 25-30m for a reason, because that's due to the club needing to pay for the stadium, if he could and the player was worth it wenger would spend that money.

ReputationRep:

I guess so. You could come 3rd. I highly doubt mourinho will mess up, he'll spend a lot of money if he needs to, pellegrini should do well too but I think the "attractive football" will take a while for the club to adopt, reckon a start with a draw or two then a pick up in form for them. Reckon chelsea and arsenal will hit the ground running though then slip up around november-january and united will start okayish and pick up form.

ReputationRep:
    Man Utd have got Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City in the opening five games. Should be interesting..

ReputationRep:
    higuain sign the ting ffs

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to finish the season at home for once. If it's a match that has a lot hinging on it then I like the added reassurance being at home gives.

ReputationRep:
    Omg when is Higuian coming !!! I'm ready to buy the shirt and everything !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    moyes could easily have only 3 points after the opening 5 games

ReputationRep:
    anyone else notice there seems to be no games on sunday this season..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someguy123456)
    anyone else notice there seems to be no games on sunday this season..
    The TV guys will decide which games are to be moved to noon/5pm kick-offs and Sunday/Monday too - it's still yet to happen.

(Original post by jibberish)
    So we are going to get rid of some deadwood players this season, have all the starting 11 stay, buy new players (potential and starting) and have the advantage of stability in management in comparison to all the other top clubs but still only manage 4th place like last season? I really don't understand the negativity. We might not win the title but there is enough on our plate to certainly make a strong challenge. The fixture list does actually give us some hope especially the first few months. The Christmas period is going to be difficult for all the teams and playing Chelsea during this time, I see as an advantage as the momentum we will hopefully have before that game will allow us to reduce the deficit between us and them (if we win!). We can't rely on beating the lower teams to win the title and playing top teams when they have a congested fixture themselves (during Christmas) could work in our favour
    To be honest, I don't really think it's necessarily negativity to suggest we'll finish in the same place as last season. :dontknow: For starters, if you look at the tables from the last last three seasons, we've finished 12, 19 and 16 points off the top of the table in 2010/11, 11/12 and 12/13 respectively; I think to suggest we can make up that sort of gap in the space of a single season with just one or two seasons is a little fanciful, even with managerial changes at other teams (especially when in two of the three teams in question, the managerial change could easily be argued to be a progressive one) - or at best very dependent on the notion of other teams under-performing. Secondly, to say that a team has stayed at the same level because they finished in the same position as the previous season is a bit misleading. If we finished fourth again but (i) played more 'attractive' or just more strategically coherent football and (ii) finished more comfortably ahead of the chasing pack and much closer to the leading trio, I'd class that as progress - which, because of our model of club-running, would hopefully continue as actual growth rather than a flash-in-the-pan. I do have hopes and optimism that we'll do better next season than we did in the last; I'm just not sure that progress will manifest itself in the standings just yet.

ReputationRep:

@419

You should be. Le Prof is quite underestimated. Watch us win the title by March.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.