Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances_Parry)
    thanks that makes me feel better! i have just finished my presentation now and i'm quite happy with it so not panicking so much. had an interview there last year so just really want to get a place this time round. have you heard back from them yet them?
    how did you go about preparing for the presentation? are you going to take anything with you such as notes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lkll)
    I haven't been able to find a summary either ,just been reading through loads of articles . The guardian has some good ones. Now I'm just trying to formulate an informed opinion , I want to find a happy medium between the negatives and positives about the changes to the curriculum.
    haha same! it's quite hard though isn't it there's just so many differing opinions but I guess they're looking to see how you interpret everything and how you articulate it all. I'll be so glad when it's over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinderella25)
    how did you go about preparing for the presentation? are you going to take anything with you such as notes?
    well since i heard i got my interview i've just been reading up loads and loads on my chosen issues and making loads of notes, and reading around all the areas too so i know as much as possible. i used my notes today to write out a kind of script to try and remember but yeah i'm gona put all the key points on cards to bring with me because i will forget it on the day propably

ReputationRep:
    well since i heard i got my interview i've just been reading up loads and loads on my chosen issues and making loads of notes, and reading around all the areas too so i know as much as possible. i used my notes today to write out a kind of script to try and remember but yeah i'm gona put all the key points on cards to bring with me because i will forget it on the day propably
    thank you for your reply!

I got an email form the IoE and they sent me two attachments on which I had to prepare a presentation. I was given the interview question and key areas that I should include from the attachment files. After having read through the two articles and making notes to answer the question I don't know how I can fit that all in for 2-3 minutes! I guess I have to manage it somehow!

what are you using to read about current educational issues?

ReputationRep:
    Passed my Literacy skills test today..one down and one more to go. yesssssssss.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your reply!

I got an email form the IoE and they sent me two attachments on which I had to prepare a presentation. I was given the interview question and key areas that I should include from the attachment files. After having read through the two articles and making notes to answer the question I don't know how I can fit that all in for 2-3 minutes! I guess I have to manage it somehow!

what are you using to read about current educational issues?
    do you mean the IoE at manchester met? are you going for primary or secondary? I've been using all sorts really, i usually just google whatever I wana read about and then loads come up. TES is good for opinions and blogs, ive subscribed to the magazine too now, guardian education has lots of articles, also have a look at the union sites so NAHT, NUT and NASUWT although obv all those are very opinionated views on the issues. but mainly just articles through googling. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    do you mean the IoE at manchester met? are you going for primary or secondary? I've been using all sorts really, i usually just google whatever I wana read about and then loads come up. TES is good for opinions and blogs, ive subscribed to the magazine too now, guardian education has lots of articles, also have a look at the union sites so NAHT, NUT and NASUWT although obv all those are very opinionated views on the issues. but mainly just articles through googling. good luck!
    Thanks for the great advice!

No I mean the Institute of Education, University of London. I have applied for secondary MFL. What have you applied for?

I wish you the best for your interview!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone with offers for Liverpool Hope, Liverpool John Moores or Oxford know the course starting date?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proud nd luvin it)
    Has anyone who's applying for a Primary PGCE at Leeds, Birmingham or Leicester heard anything yet? x
    I've got an interview at uni of Leeds on Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is a PGDE the same as a PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the great advice!

No I mean the Institute of Education, University of London. I have applied for secondary MFL. What have you applied for?

I wish you the best for your interview!
    Oh I see! you're very welcome-I'm sure you'll do great
    thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have an upcoming interview at Roehampton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proud nd luvin it)
    Has anyone who's applying for a Primary PGCE at Leeds, Birmingham or Leicester heard anything yet? x
    BCU or UoB?

I have an interview for both, BCU on wednesday, and UoB on the 21st of Jan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boggleman)
    Has any one had an interview at the University of Manchester yet, or is anyone going to have one on the 10th. No one I know has gotten to interview stage, and I can't find any tips/guidance, or even anyone else who has applied on the internet?
    Is it for primary? The day is really long and a lot of waiting around. Don't worry about the tests they are okay without any revision. Be prepared to answer a lot of scenario questions and questions based on inclusion!

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, they are quite different, the first, PGDE, allows you to teach in post 16 education, although some schools will allow you to teach 14-16, whereas technically a PGCE allows you to teach at any level of compulsory education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by boggleman)
    No, they are quite different, the first, PGDE, allows you to teach in post 16 education, although some schools will allow you to teach 14-16, whereas technically a PGCE allows you to teach at any level of compulsory education

Unless you're in Scotland, where a PGDE is essentially the same thing as what England calls a PGCE.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Unless you're in Scotland, where a PGDE is essentially the same thing as what England calls a PGCE.

xxx
    I did not know that, thanks for the information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)

xxx
    It's just I have an interview for Liverpool john moores and they are calling it a PGDE for early years.. Would this mean if I got a place I'd only be able to teach early years primary in Scotland? I'm sure I applied thinking it was a PGCE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    It's just I have an interview for Liverpool john moores and they are calling it a PGDE for early years.. Would this mean if I got a place I'd only be able to teach early years primary in Scotland? I'm sure I applied thinking it was a PGCE

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmm... are you sure it's not a typo? I know that sounds silly but it doesn't make much sense otherwise. Like boggleman said, in England PGDEs are for post-16 teaching.

The only reason PGCEs are called PGDEs in Scotland is because they decided to change the name as 'diploma' matched up more with the level of qualification that a PGCE gives you.

Postgraduate Diploma in Education is the one in England, which is for post-16.
    Professional Graduate Diploma in Education is the Scottish one which is their equivalent of a PGCE.

So the idea of a PGDE in England in Early Years doesn't make sense. Come to think of it I'm not even sure you can do one of the Scottish ones in Early Years either - I'm not sure they count that as an acceptable focus up there.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Hmmm... are you sure it's not a typo? I know that sounds silly but it doesn't make much sense otherwise. Like boggleman said, in England PGDEs are for post-16 teaching.

The only reason PGCEs are called PGDEs in Scotland is because they decided to change the name as 'diploma' matched up more with the level of qualification that a PGCE gives you.

Postgraduate Diploma in Education is the one in England, which is for post-16.
    Professional Graduate Diploma in Education is the Scottish one which is their equivalent of a PGCE.

So the idea of a PGDE in England in Early Years doesn't make sense. Come to think of it I'm not even sure you can do one of the Scottish ones in Early Years either - I'm not sure they count that as an acceptable focus up there.

xxx
    Well that's what I originally thought that it was a typo but in the PDF they attached to the email it refers to PGDE throughout. I might email and double check, especially cos it says PGCE on ucas.. But I've just checked their website and it says 'PGCE Early Years (3 – 7 years) PgDip'

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.