Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    I found it okay, but yeah I don't think the examples I gave were particularly good

The essay was okay, but as I said above I don't think I have enough examples
    Apparently it's not so much about how great your content and examples are, but it's more the structure and the way you answered the question that matter. I don't think they really expect you to come up with fantastic examples with 5 minutes of planning.

I misspelt one of the diseases I talked about in my examples, **** off ataxia telangiectasia why were you the only disease that came to mind in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lainathiel)
    What worries me is that TSR, the community where there is a general bias towards higher grades, has found all the admissions tests really hard! I'm sure you all did great now - personally, I feel so much happier now that I've finished, and I didn't realise how subconsciously stressed I was about everything!

I did the BMAT, by the way - I'm not really sure what to make of it, to be honest! I thought section 1 was kind of average - I (educated) guessed a few of the block questions but I'm hoping that was okay, and I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of nasty nasty physics questions in section 2! Again, I have no idea how I did, and don't want to commit either way - in the UKCAT practices I was averaging a solid 400, and ended up getting 730, so I'm not a very good judge, haha! I do think the essay questions were a bit nasty though: I really liked them but I take philosophy (I did q2 and basically wrote out our philosophical language topic) so I'm used to the more obscure questions! My friend did the 4th question though and said she hated it!

But yeah, well done everyone - even if we don't get in, we still did a silly amount of work preparing, so that's still something to be proud of!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was surprised by the lack of horrible physics questions too! though i did have to guess some of the maths ones... I thought the section 1 was ok, but i was a bit pushed for the time at the end which has never happened to me before! I did the first essay about computers, it wasn't horrific but we'll see!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not you)
    Apparently it's not so much about how great your content and examples are, but it's more the structure and the way you answered the question that matter. I don't think they really expect you to come up with fantastic examples with 5 minutes of planning.

I misspelt one of the diseases I talked about in my examples, **** off ataxia telangiectasia why were you the only disease that came to mind in the exam
    Ah, right. Well, hopefully the structure of my answer will be sufficient XD
    ... What is ataxia telangiectasia?? XD

How did you find the exam by the way? You're quite intelligent, you probably found it fairly simple?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstac)
    I was surprised by the lack of horrible physics questions too! though i did have to guess some of the maths ones... I thought the section 1 was ok, but i was a bit pushed for the time at the end which has never happened to me before! I did the first essay about computers, it wasn't horrific but we'll see!!
    That's the same with me! I had been doing TSA papers in 2/3 of the time for practice, so wasn't expecting to be so stretched this time! It didn't help that I accidentally flung my pencil half way across the room by accident at one point... But yeah, the thing I preferred about the UKCAT was that, on a computer, it was so easy to just flag it and move on to save time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    Ah, right. Well, hopefully the structure of my answer will be sufficient XD
    ... What is ataxia telangiectasia?? XD

How did you find the exam by the way? You're quite intelligent, you probably found it fairly simple?
    Basically it's a disease that messes up your entire nervous system and stops you from moving well, and you walk like you're permanently drunk. Heard about it from some guy in the Netherlands so yeah another completely random disease that no one really knows

I thought it wasn't that bad to be honest, S1 was easier than previous years for me, although I went through it with the spare time I had and there were about 8 questions I wasn't sure about.
    S2 was fairly easy too, although didn't really get some of the maths ones, that one about the isosceles triangle angle was one I didn't get at all.
    For S3 I chose question 3 and was fine for the first 2 parts, but the third part put me off since it was saying 'in regards to that-thing-in-the-question, to what extent blah blah blah' but I ended up talking about my own opinion instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LamantChenille)
    I feel like I might be saying goodbye to this thread soon, if the MLAT and OLAT are anything to go by...
    I mean, they weren't awful, I just know that I've messed up on stupid things and that other people will have done way better than me. I doubt I'll even get an interview.
    I know what you mean tbh. I'm probably not going to go on any of the threads until I find out if I've got an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I know what you mean tbh. I'm probably not going to go on any of the threads until I find out if I've got an interview.
    Do you know when we find out?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, let's try to chin up a little bit. These exams are not meant to be easy and we did what we could - hopefully we'll get shortlisted for interview. It's important to keep in mind that studying is never a waste and that a loss can also be a gain.
    Let's keep our heads up !

ReputationRep:
    I think it could be as close as a week before! Hopefully we hear sooner! I'm going to be off TSR for a bit to try and do some of the reading I want to do to prepare for the interview (if I get one).

ReputationRep:
    Basically it's a disease that messes up your entire nervous system and stops you from moving well, and you walk like you're permanently drunk. Heard about it from some guy in the Netherlands so yeah another completely random disease that no one really knows

I thought it wasn't that bad to be honest, S1 was easier than previous years for me, although I went through it with the spare time I had and there were about 8 questions I wasn't sure about.
    S2 was fairly easy too, although didn't really get some of the maths ones, that one about the isosceles triangle angle was one I didn't get at all.
    For S3 I chose question 3 and was fine for the first 2 parts, but the third part put me off since it was saying 'in regards to that-thing-in-the-question, to what extent blah blah blah' but I ended up talking about my own opinion instead.
    I wrote about fibromyalgia for my q2 and spent a good five minutes at the end just staring at the word trying to figure out if I had spelt it correctly! :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about other courses, but for medicine they said probably by 2nd December

(Original post by Lainathiel)
    I wrote about fibromyalgia for my q2 and spent a good five minutes at the end just staring at the word trying to figure out if I had spelt it correctly! :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lmao at least it's only one word long
    What kind of question was 2? Like general, medicine, vet or the other one which I can never seem to remember

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I got different essay questions

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about other courses, but for medicine they said probably by 2nd December
    Ah, I hope I find out by then. I just want to get on with things now.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I hope I find out by then. I just want to get on with things now.
    Hopefully they don't do that thing where they don't tell you if you've been rejected until pretty late because that's probably one of the most frustrating things they can do to a desperate applicant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karina_xo)
    I'm also applying for human sciences! Glad to have finally found other people hahaaa

I went to the open day however they didn't really mention it, I think since this is the first year human science applicants have to sit the TSA they maybe don't know exactly how they're going to view it until they get the results in :\\\

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm Human Sciences too!! I dint know anyone else who's applying for it so it's cool to see there are a few of us on here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MegaJake)
    Has anyone here applied for PPE at Balliol and if so how did you find the TSA?
    PPE at Exeter and I thought it was pretty okay, similar in difficulty to 2014.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busterposey)
    yeah I know hahahaha it was so bad. I thought the phrasing, about what we can understand about his worldview was so complex and difficult to engage with, I prefer a straight-up 'what can we learn about society'.

Based on your personal experience and what others have said, do you feel that it was much worse than the other ones? As in the grade boundries or whatever will be lower?
    Omf Ikr because I was trying to write about limitations of the source but that q made it so bloody difficult!! Well personally, I found it less straightforward, certainly in terms of the second source question. To me that read more like the 2004 (or 2006? Can't remember) source Q about Iceland which was so random. It was so dense! But maybe that's just me lol

ReputationRep:
    Might ring up Oxford and play Rolling in the Deep down the line. "We could've had it all" is definitely my mentality right about now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    Omf Ikr because I was trying to write about limitations of the source but that q made it so bloody difficult!! Well personally, I found it less straightforward, certainly in terms of the second source question. To me that read more like the 2004 (or 2006? Can't remember) source Q about Iceland which was so random. It was so dense! But maybe that's just me lol
    I struggled with that. Given that most of them are about society (The Great Depression source, the one about Britain in the 18th century, and the one about Augsburg) it was a very different sort of question. I thought it was doable though once I'd thought about it. Trouble is I spent ages thinking about it and timing was so tight at the end. Overall it wasn't the car crash HAT I was expecting. I just hope I did enough to get an interview. Good luck and I hope we are both called to interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliverdobbs)
    PPE at Exeter and I thought it was pretty okay, similar in difficulty to 2014.
    Agreed, hopefully same sort of score conversions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.