Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    إِلَّا تَنصُرُوهُ فَقَدْ نَصَرَهُ اللَّهُ إِذْ أَخْرَجَهُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا ثَانِيَ اثْنَيْنِ إِذْ هُمَا فِي الْغَارِ إِذْ يَقُولُ لِصَاحِبِهِ لَا تَحْزَنْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَنَا ۖ فَأَنزَلَ اللَّهُ سَكِينَتَهُ عَلَيْهِ وَأَيَّدَهُ بِجُنُودٍ لَّمْ تَرَوْهَا وَجَعَلَ كَلِمَةَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا السُّفْلَىٰ ۗ وَكَلِمَةُ اللَّهِ هِيَ الْعُلْيَا ۗ وَاللَّهُ عَزِيزٌ حَكِيمٌ

If you do not aid the Prophet - Allah has already aided him when those who disbelieved had driven him out [of Makkah] as one of two, when they were in the cave and he said to his companion, "Do not grieve; indeed Allah is with us." And Allah sent down his tranquillity upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

[Surah at-Tawbah]

ReputationRep:
    فَمَن تَابَ مِن بَعْدِ ظُلْمِهِ وَأَصْلَحَ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ يَتُوبُ عَلَيْهِ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ

But whoever repents after his wrongdoing and reforms, indeed, Allah will turn to him in forgiveness. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

[Surah al-Ma'idah]

ReputationRep:
    Wats quiz q

ReputationRep:
    سمعت رسول الله ، صلى الله عليه وسلم يقول‏:‏ “قال الله تعالى‏:‏ يا ابن آدم، إنك ما دعوتني ورجوتني غفرت لك على ما كان منك ولا أبالي، يا أبن آدم، لو بلغت ذنوبك عنان السماء، ثم استغفرتني غفرت لك ، يا ابن آدم، إنك لو أتيتنى بقراب الأرض خطايا، ثم لقيتني لا تشرك به شيئاً، لأتيتك بقرابها مغفرة‏"‏ ‏(‏‏(‏رواه الترمذي‏.‏ وقال حديث حسن‏)‏‏)‏‏.‏

Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Allah, the Exalted, has said: 'O son of adam, I forgive you as long as you pray to Me and hope for My forgiveness, whatever sins you have committed. O son of 'Adam, I do not care if your sins reach the height of the heaven, then you ask for my forgiveness, I would forgive you. O son of 'Adam, if you come to Me with an earth load of sins, and meet Me associating nothing to Me, I would match it with an earthload of forgiveness."'

[Saheeh Muslim, At- Tirmidhi, Riyaad as-Saaliheen, Sunan Ibn Majah and 'Arba'een an-Nawawi via different chains, which were graded Saheeh, Hasan and Hasan Saheeh]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibn Fulaan)
    Wats quiz q
    I answered the last one. You may take it, you ask more interesting ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    Awesome stuff. If you do, do let us know how it goes with reading the scriptures in Hebrew - it's something that's always tickled my curiosity (not enough, however, to want to learn it seriously - I don't have the time to do so, anyhow).
    Will do

ReputationRep:
    Ustadh Abdur Rahman Hassan goes through a famous poem regarding the science of Hadeeth. Its many purpose is to define as many terms used when it comes to the science of Hadeeth. This poem version makes it easier for Muslims to memorise inshaAllah.

Cant wait to smash this.

ReputationRep:

[Saheeh Muslim, At- Tirmidhi, Riyaad as-Saaliheen, Sunan Ibn Majah and 'Arba'een an-Nawawi via different chains, which were graded Saheeh, Hasan and Hasan Saheeh]
    Out of random interest, what does all of this mean/refer to?

(I'm not muslim and do not know a great deal so apologise for what is probably a very silly question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenkinsear)

(I'm not muslim and do not know a great deal so apologise for what is probably a very silly question)
    These are the names of the books, compiled around the 9th century, that contain (allegedly) sayings of the Prophet. The grades "saheeh", "hasan", etc refer to the authenticity of the sayings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadith_terminology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    These are the names of the books, compiled around the 9th century, that contain (allegedly) sayings of the Prophet. The grades "saheeh", "hasan", etc refer to the authenticity of the sayings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadith_terminology
    Thank you for that, very informative.

Doesn't having hadiths and the whole classifying them by authenticity (and the inevitable disagreement that must bring) make it incredibly difficult to actually understand the faith and know what Mohammed actually thought/taught about a particular issue?

ReputationRep:

Doesn't having hadiths and the whole classifying them by authenticity (and the inevitable disagreement that must bring) make it incredibly difficult to actually understand the faith and know what Mohammed actually thought/taught about a particular issue?
    There are definitely disagreements about specific issues here and there, but generally the Sunni Muslims accept "Sahih Bukhari" and "Sahih Muslim" as the most authentic due to the strict criteria that Bukhari and his student Muslim used to compile their respective books.

AFAIK, modern historians largely consider these methods unreliable, and hence reject the traditional narrative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    There are definitely disagreements about specific issues here and there, but generally the Sunni Muslims accept "Sahih Bukhari" and "Sahih Muslim" as the most authentic due to the strict criteria that Bukhari and his student Muslim used to compile their respective books.

AFAIK, modern historians largely consider these methods unreliable, and hence reject the traditional narrative.
    Fair, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions

ReputationRep:
    Had a beautiful conversation with Mum. I think she must be asleep now.

----

ReputationRep:

Sahih InternationalAnd your Lord has decreed that you not worship except Him, and to parents, good treatment. Whether one or both of them reach old age [while] with you, say not to them [so much as], "uff," and do not repel them but speak to them a noble word.

ReputationRep:
    Assalaamu 'alaykum sister, welcome to the ISOC
    Wa'alaikum asalaam, jazaakAllah khair

ReputationRep:

Hey

Saheeh Muslim, At- Tirmidhi, Riyaad as-Saaliheen, Sunan Ibn Majah and 'Arba'een an-Nawawi
    This refers to the books that the statement is from.

which were graded Saheeh, Hasan and Hasan Saheeh
    This refers to the authenticity. Saheeh meaning Authentic. Hasan meaning Good.

:yum:

ReputationRep:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-N9bQVusGJA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

yes, it does

for this reason, there are many groupings/sects etc in Islam, beyond the fundamental split between Sunnis and Shias (who have their own specific hadith collections, notably the "Four books" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Books)

with regard to Sunni Islam, the ahadith graded as "authentic" by Imams Bukhari and Muslim have been, so to say, "canonised" i.e. have reached a status in many ways similar (but not identical) to the one reached by Christian Gospels (check e.g. here http://www.drjonathanbrown.com/the-c...i-hadith-canon

this said, even some "conservative" Sunni scholars such as e.g. Al-Albani (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamma...ddin_al-Albani) have contested the status of some hadith included in "sahih" Bukhari and Muslim

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be a misconception regarding hadiths, It is possible to find Sahih Hadiths that were not inluced by Imam Muslim & Bukahri (Allah have mercy upon them both), as a person who's studying the sciences of Islamic Theology i have to say it's amazing how unique Islam is in terms of how everything in our deen was narrated. Back to my main point so many brothers and sisters seem to think if a hadith isn't in Bukahri or Muslim then it's not sahih or reliable, this is not true and only shows ignorance....anyway may Allah guide us all to the Haqq

ReputationRep:
    The Question that Made Aisha Cry

Umar and Ubay bin Umayr went to Aishah and entered her room and there was a screen between us and her. She said, " O Ubayd! What prevents you from visiting us? He said, " What the poet said, 'Visit every once in a while and you will be loved more.' Ibn Umar said, "Tell us about the most unusual thing you witnessed from the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه و سلم.

She cried and said "All his matters were amazing. One night, he came close to me until his skin touched my skin and said, "Let me worship my Lord." I said,"By Allah I love your being close to me. I also love that you worship your Lord. He used the water-skin and performed ablution, but did not use too much water. He then stood up in prayer and cried until his beard became wet. He the prostrated and cried until he made the ground wet. He then laid down on his side and cried.
    When Bilal came to alert the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم for the dawn prayer, he said:

"O Messenger of Allah! What makes you cry, while Allah has forgiven your previous and latter sins?"

He said, "O Bilal, What prevents me from crying, when this night, this Ayah was revealed to me,

"Verily! In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, there are indeed signs for men of understanding. [3:190]"

Woe to he who recites it and does not contemplate it."

[Marwad Az-Zaman no 139. Tafseer Ibn Katheer Vol 2.]

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.