Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uzbek94)
    rejected by LSE...
    For what course may I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Believe me, that Umi Chilemba and the rest of the Admissions team are reading this thread and laughing. Pure trolls

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mux123)
    Believe me, that Umi Chilemba and the rest of the Admissions team are reading this thread and laughing. Pure trolls

Posted from TSR Mobile
    History department??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    Only 9% are made offers according to this:
    http://university.which.co.uk/search...=Apply+changes
    I didn't ask for the statistics. I know them. I meant the actual record on TSR in this forum. Their statistics say nothing about when people receive offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silonthesofa)
    I didn't ask for the statistics. I know them. I meant the actual record on TSR in this forum. Their statistics say nothing about when people receive offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry I thought you wanted to know how many people will receive offers. Actually, I have seen many people complain about the IR department being so slow in giving out offers/rejection. IR is one of the most competitive courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mux123)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Slightly agree with you there lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just read the discussion about Oxford/LSE and I was quite touched by what people were saying.

I believe I can understand what the "complaining guy" is saying. He's just trying to express his sense of loss due to his Oxford rejection. He is not arguing that LSE is bad, he's trying to say he fells like he will forever miss the Oxford experience he couldn't have. He's complaining more about "life" than LSE.

I think I can also understand what all the others are, reasonably, arguing. There is no point in writing in this thread bad thing about LSE. There are people who have been rejected by LSE, and would have loved to get in; there are people who are in, and do deserve to be proud of their accomplishment. They shouldn't be put down.

That said, I am a Law applicant. I am Italian, studied in Italy and I am currently taking a gap year. I received offers from UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Oxford and I'm still waiting for LSE.

When I decided to apply to study in England, my heart was set on Oxford. However, when I started getting my offers I began to realize how great universities all the others are. Now that the process is almost over, I think I am still going to firm Oxford. The interesting point is that I am not going to do it because of the ranking, but because of the sheer "Oxford experience". I want to wear a gown, to attend ceremonies held in Latin, to be surrounded by the kind of beauty I have always dreamt of. Although I may be confusing "learning with the smell of cold stone", I think I can understand what the "complaining guy" is saying: had not I got in, I would have felt sorry about the loss of this specific kind of life, even more than about the reduced number of job possibilities - and I'm not even sure about the real situation in this field.

What I want to emphasize is that Oxford and LSE are both great universities, but they are not the same. They are, and ought to be, different. There are different kinds of people, and there are universities aimed at different students. What we should wish each other is not to end up in the highest uni in one of the more or less meaningless rankings, but in the university where we would thrive most. We can only trust the admission tutors - which are experienced, though it's hard to judge someone and change their destiny only reading a list of grades and a PS - and hope for the best.

Good luck to each of us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caesar95)
    I just read the discussion about Oxford/LSE and I was quite touched by what people were saying.

I believe I can understand what the "complaining guy" is saying. He's just trying to express his sense of loss due to his Oxford rejection. He is not arguing that LSE is bad, he's trying to say he fells like he will forever miss the Oxford experience he couldn't have. He's complaining more about "life" than LSE.

I think I can also understand what all the others are, reasonably, arguing. There is no point in writing in this thread bad thing about LSE. There are people who have been rejected by LSE, and would have loved to get in; there are people who are in, and do deserve to be proud of their accomplishment. They shouldn't be put down.

That said, I am a Law applicant. I am Italian, studied in Italy and I am currently taking a gap year. I received offers from UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Oxford and I'm still waiting for LSE.

When I decided to apply to study in England, my heart was set on Oxford. However, when I started getting my offers I began to realize how great universities all the others are. Now that the process is almost over, I think I am still going to firm Oxford. The interesting point is that I am not going to do it because of the ranking, but because of the sheer "Oxford experience". I want to wear a gown, to attend ceremonies held in Latin, to be surrounded by the kind of beauty I have always dreamt of. Although I may be confusing "learning with the smell of cold stone", I think I can understand what the "complaining guy" is saying: had not I got in, I would have felt sorry about the loss of this specific kind of life, even more than about the reduced number of job possibilities - and I'm not even sure about the real situation in this field.

What I want to emphasize is that Oxford and LSE are both great universities, but they are not the same. They are, and ought to be, different. There are different kinds of people, and there are universities aimed at different students. What we should wish each other is not to end up in the highest uni in one of the more or less meaningless rankings, but in the university where we would thrive most. We can only trust the admission tutors - which are experienced, though it's hard to judge someone and change their destiny only reading a list of grades and a PS - and hope for the best.

Good luck to each of us
    Thank you bro! You really just said what i was trying to say all that time. And very well done on your Oxford offer, especially for law which is super conpetitive.

ReputationRep:
    My friend keeps on rubbing in the fact that she got an offer from LSE when she applied later than me. I really hope I get one too so I can tell her to stfu

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I thought you wanted to know how many people will receive offers. Actually, I have seen many people complain about the IR department being so slow in giving out offers/rejection. IR is one of the most competitive courses.
    So I've heard. And so I've realized. But up until this Friday, I hadn't heard of a single offer and hardly any rejections. I've realized it is futile trying to get into any universities' heads (I get a really good laugh when I see people talking about how their two weeks are up on Wednesday. Because they really keep to deadlines.), but I figured seeing the statistics could be at least a tiny bit reflective of what's sorta going on. The guy who got accepted this Friday had applied on the 15th of October. My girlfriend applied on the 23rd of November.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silonthesofa)
    So I've heard. And so I've realized. But up until this Friday, I hadn't heard of a single offer and hardly any rejections. I've realized it is futile trying to get into any universities' heads (I get a really good laugh when I see people talking about how their two weeks are up on Wednesday. Because they really keep to deadlines.), but I figured seeing the statistics could be at least a tiny bit reflective of what's sorta going on. The guy who got accepted this Friday had applied on the 15th of October. My girlfriend applied on the 23rd of November.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    she might get a decision by the end of this month though.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you bro! You really just said what i was trying to say all that time. And very well done on your Oxford offer, especially for law which is super conpetitive.
    Thank you

And good luck with whatever you decide to to!

ReputationRep:
    she might get a decision by the end of this month though.
    Hopefully. The suspense is distracting me from my own uni work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just ploughed through last years thread and it seems that this thursday (tomoz), people were getting offers and on friday there were lots of rejections - just a heads up

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone reply to the Emails from LSE- the ones updating you on your application ?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received an offer without getting 'the strongest applicant'? Is that possible? Tomorrow is the end of my 7 weeks after the "stong enough" email... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yogurtpot)
    Has anyone received an offer without getting 'the strongest applicant'? Is that possible? Tomorrow is the end of my 7 weeks after the "stong enough" email... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes i did, i got 2 weeks then 5 weeks email then offer a couple of days later.

ReputationRep:
    yes i did, i got 2 weeks then 5 weeks email then offer a couple of days later.
    Thanks for giving me some hope

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caesar95)

Good luck to each of us
    This makes me want to run for parliament now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bshrestha)
    My friend keeps on rubbing in the fact that she got an offer from LSE when she applied later than me. I really hope I get one too so I can tell her to stfu
    Rub your fist on her face.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 25, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.