Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the household income assessment procedure; if my parents are retired and I receive nothing from them, why should that form part of my means assessment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamboy)
    I don't understand the household income assessment procedure; if my parents are retired and I receive nothing from them, why should that form part of my means assessment?
    Depends how old you are. If you're over 25 or have supported yourself financially for 3 years then they assess on your income. Otherwise it's your parents'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    Depends how old you are. If you're over 25 or have supported yourself financially for 3 years then they assess on your income. Otherwise it's your parents'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what I thought, too, but the student finance people here (who work for SFE) said that your own income is not included: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3778011

Your 'household' is your parents if you're under 25, and spouse/domestic partner if you're independent or over 25.

To be fair, it sort of makes sense; you might be earning $$$ now, but once you're studying full time there's no way to earn enough money to support yourself without savings or never sleeping. Whereas if you were being supported by parents or a partner, their income is not affected by you going to study full time.

ReputationRep:
    What about us single folk? I have a girlfriend but not married.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyra1987)
    Depends if you live together or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you are 'financially interdependent or dependent' - whether you live together, have joint mortgage, joint bank account, named on each other's credit reports, that sort of thing. Then they're your 'domestic partner' which is treated the same as a spouse for income assessment in maintenance loan eligibility.

If you're just shagging then they don't care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivemed56)

(Unless you're getting paid?)

ReputationRep:
    Live together at the moment but will be living apart for Uni. No joint bank accounts or bills other than council tax. Hmmm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Live together at the moment but will be living apart for Uni. No joint bank accounts or bills other than council tax. Hmmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you'll be living apart at uni then her income won't count at all as you're not married.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you are 'financially interdependent or dependent' - whether you live together, have joint mortgage, joint bank account, named on each other's credit reports, that sort of thing. Then they're your 'domestic partner' which is treated the same as a spouse for income assessment in maintenance loan eligibility.

(Original post by Alexdaman93)
    (Unless you're getting paid?)

HAHAHA....

ReputationRep:
    Oh. My. Sides. Thanks for a nice injection of humour guys. :-D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CamDeardon)
    I have had a rejection already a few weeks ago. What was your UKCAT score?
    Embarrassed to say..640

ReputationRep:
    I was living with my partner and he wasn't included because we weren't married at the time (we are now so now it does ). So if you are not married and over 25 your income is set at £0 happy days

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's one of the best pieces of news I have had in a while. So at least will get the max maintenance loan. So just have to work my butt off to pay tuition then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisagee10)
    Congrats on the after interview elation! I hope it works out well for you! 😄😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your kind words!

I just received notice of acceptance! I am accepted into SGUL in Nicosia, starting

next year! Woo Hoo! My life's goal is here!

I hope everyone else gets their dream as well!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris2016)
    Thank you for your kind words!

I just received notice of acceptance! I am accepted into SGUL in Nicosia, starting

next year! Woo Hoo! My life's goal is here!

I hope everyone else gets their dream as well!

Chris
    Congrats.

ReputationRep:
    That's one of the best pieces of news I have had in a while. So at least will get the max maintenance loan. So just have to work my butt off to pay tuition then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only (relatively) have to pay 3.5k though right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali.s1002)
    Only (relatively) have to pay 3.5k though right?
    Yup (just ) 3.5k upfront if you're accepted onto a 4 year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    Yup (just ) 3.5k upfront if you're accepted onto a 4 year.
    I wish....my only chance this year is a 5 year...so 9 grand.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, 6k last year, although it's going up next year to about 8k outside London: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/n...ltime-students

A big chunk of that is means tested (starting to reduce from a household income of £25,000), although according to the student finance people here on TSR it's only your parents' or partner's income that's taken into account, not yours.
    So would it be more in london? sorry just had a look at the link, that's good news!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.