The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ukdragon37
example sheets

Have you seen the maths A examples sheets? :eek3: :rofl:
namedeprived
Why not? :p:

Don't be too evil though. :awesome:

Our teacher told us to try and find the integral of sec x tonight. I tried during my free period, ended up having to integrate by parts about 5 times, then googled it for the nicer solution.

A fun one to do is arctanxdx\int{\arctan x} dx

Harder one:

(lnx)3dx\int{\left(ln x\right)^3} dx :p:
TheUnbeliever
Have you seen the maths A examples sheets? :eek3: :rofl:

I have. A few of the ex-course-B people I know have now switched courses but are still going to do the course B example sheets only because the lecturer for course B is, uh, a bit "monotonous". :wink:
Ape Gone Insane
Thank you:yep: I'll have a look at this and find the hardest one you can. :cool:

Evil Cambridge Maths Paper

Show that (x,y)=(3/2, 3/2) and (x,y)=(−1/2, 5/2) are stationary points
of the function

13(x3+y3)+2xy214(x+y)\frac{1}{3}\left(x^3+y^3\right)+2xy-\frac{21}{4}\left(x+y\right)

and find the other two stationary points. Determine the nature of each stationary point.

that's worth 10 out of 120.

Enjoy :p:
arctanxdx=xarctanxln(1+x2)12\displaystyle\int arctanx dx = xarctanx - ln|(1+x^2)^\frac{1}{2}|?

The (lnx)3(lnx)^3 one looks evil as well as that one about stationary points you've just posted.
Ape Gone Insane
:hello:

On second thoughts, you might be interested in this, too.

namedeprived
Our teacher told us to try and find the integral of sec x tonight. I tried during my free period, ended up having to integrate by parts about 5 times, then googled it for the nicer solution.

If you want a slightly lengthier, and reasonably tricky, question:

Spoiler

This was given as optional homework last year (either in maths or in a rather-abused statistics class :p:).
namedeprived
arctanx=xarctanxln(1+x2)12\displaystyle\int arctanx = xarctanx - ln|(1+x^2)|^\frac{1}{2}?

:no:

I have to go to my supervision now (maths by coincidence) but I'm sure TheUnbeliever will be able to help you :wink:

EDIT: your answer is a *tiny* bit wrong, but still wrong :wink:

EDIT2: I'll just save you the confusion - the proper form is to write the 0.5 power inside the |...| otherwise it's confusing which bit you are square rooting
Just did a 72 question uni challenge tryout exam. It was hardcore as anything, reckon I got maybe 20-30% :s-smilie:

Only 5 science questions!

Also, I resent the insinuation by ukdragon that incest is sleazy :p:
Meteorshower
Just did a 72 question uni challenge tryout exam. It was hardcore as anything, reckon I got maybe 20-30% :s-smilie:

Also, I resent the insinuation by ukdragon that incest is sleazy
:p:

Ooh, sounds fun. The guy in the current St Andrew's team, no idea what his name is but he sits on the far left, is amazing.

I managed to get 8 questions right last night, though I should have got two more. I was very proud of myself. :lol:

And I probably best not comment on the emboldened bit. :p:
I hate higher english
namedeprived

The (lnx)3(lnx)^3 one looks evil as well as that one about stationary points you've just posted.

I actually haven't started doing this question but when I do I'll first make a substitution of u=ln x :wink:
Meteorshower

Also, I resent the insinuation by ukdragon that incest is sleazy :p:

Was it with a sibling? :p:

Or your "mother"? :wink:

....Or even your "father"? :rofl:
ukdragon37
I actually haven't started doing this question but when I do I'll first make a substitution of u=ln x :wink:

Ah sounds much better. I tried it with parts, and ended up with the most hideous expression imaginable (it's probably wrong). I didn't really think about substitution for some reason, probably because I've not had an example yet where I then needed to use parts.

Spoiler

namedeprived
Ooh, sounds fun. The guy in the current St Andrew's team, no idea what his name is but he sits on the far left, is amazing.

I managed to get 8 questions right last night, though I should have got two more. I was very proud of myself. :lol:

And I probably best not comment on the emboldened bit. :p:

Chris Flaherty, I know him :cool: He made up the tryout exam I think. He's my stepdad actually (I think, it gets confusing) He's pretty awesome aswell. I also vaguely know the guy on the far right who does physics through athletics.

And to Ukdragon, I am in a relationship with my sister :p: To be fair on me though, that was the case before she became my sister :wink:
namedeprived
Ah sounds much better. I tried it with parts, and ended up with the most hideous expression imaginable (it's probably wrong). I didn't really think about substitution for some reason, probably because I've not had an example yet where I then needed to use parts.

Spoiler

The last integral evaluates to -lnx :wink:

Although your integration went wrong somewhere I think :no:
ukdragon37
The last integral evaluates to -lnx :wink:

Although your integration went wrong somewhere I think :no:

I don't doubt it.:p:

The more time I spend on TSR the more depressed I get about my Maths ability.
Meteorshower
Chris Flaherty, I know him :cool: He made up the tryout exam I think. He's my stepdad actually (I think, it gets confusing) He's pretty awesome aswell. I also vaguely know the guy on the far right who does physics through athletics.

And to Ukdragon, I am in a relationship with my sister :p: To be fair on me though, that was the case before she became my sister :wink:

:lolwut: Meeehh??
Reply 4337
xo-Heva
:lolwut: Meeehh??

I think he means academic sister (at uni you have academic families with two first year 'children' and two 'parents' in the later years). At least I hope that's what he means....:p:
akj08
I think he means academic sister (at uni you have academic families with two first year 'children' and two 'parents' in the later years). At least I hope that's what he means....:p:

Oooh I see :p:
for higher english , how are you suppose to lay out the quotes ?

Latest