ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    example sheets
    Have you seen the maths A examples sheets? :eek3: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    Why not? :p:

Don't be too evil though. :awesome:

Our teacher told us to try and find the integral of sec x tonight. I tried during my free period, ended up having to integrate by parts about 5 times, then googled it for the nicer solution.
    A fun one to do is \int{\arctan x} dx

Harder one:

\int{\left(ln x\right)^3} dx :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Have you seen the maths A examples sheets? :eek3: :rofl:
    I have. A few of the ex-course-B people I know have now switched courses but are still going to do the course B example sheets only because the lecturer for course B is, uh, a bit "monotonous".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Thank you:yep: I'll have a look at this and find the hardest one you can. :cool:
    (Original post by Evil Cambridge Maths Paper)
    Show that (x,y)=(3/2, 3/2) and (x,y)=(−1/2, 5/2) are stationary points
    of the function

\frac{1}{3}\left(x^3+y^3\right)+  2xy-\frac{21}{4}\left(x+y\right)

and find the other two stationary points. Determine the nature of each stationary point.
    that's worth 10 out of 120.

Enjoy :p:

ReputationRep:
    \displaystyle\int arctanx dx = xarctanx - ln|(1+x^2)^\frac{1}{2}|?

The (lnx)^3 one looks evil as well as that one about stationary points you've just posted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    :hello:
    On second thoughts, you might be interested in this, too.

Our teacher told us to try and find the integral of sec x tonight. I tried during my free period, ended up having to integrate by parts about 5 times, then googled it for the nicer solution.
    If you want a slightly lengthier, and reasonably tricky, question:

Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Find the formula for finding the arclength of a function. (That is, the length of string required to connect two points (a, f(a)) and (b, f(b)) in such a way as the string never leaves the curve.)

Hint
    Consider approximating using infinitesimal straight line segments, similar to differentiation from scratch.

Hint 2
    Use the distance formula.

2. Now, using that formula, find the arc length of x^2 between the points x = 0 and x = 1.

Hint
    The integral you have to do here is fairly difficult. You want to use repeated integration by parts.

Hint 2
    Don't lose track of what's on the left hand side. At one point, you'll be able to simplify the right hand side considerably!

This was given as optional homework last year (either in maths or in a rather-abused statistics class :p:).

ReputationRep:
    \displaystyle\int arctanx = xarctanx - ln|(1+x^2)|^\frac{1}{2}?
    :no:

I have to go to my supervision now (maths by coincidence) but I'm sure TheUnbeliever will be able to help you

EDIT: your answer is a *tiny* bit wrong, but still wrong

EDIT2: I'll just save you the confusion - the proper form is to write the 0.5 power inside the |...| otherwise it's confusing which bit you are square rooting

ReputationRep:
    Just did a 72 question uni challenge tryout exam. It was hardcore as anything, reckon I got maybe 20-30%

Only 5 science questions!

Also, I resent the insinuation by ukdragon that incest is sleazy :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Just did a 72 question uni challenge tryout exam. It was hardcore as anything, reckon I got maybe 20-30%

Also, I resent the insinuation by ukdragon that incest is sleazy
    :p:
    Ooh, sounds fun. The guy in the current St Andrew's team, no idea what his name is but he sits on the far left, is amazing.

I managed to get 8 questions right last night, though I should have got two more. I was very proud of myself. :lol:

And I probably best not comment on the emboldened bit. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I hate higher english

ReputationRep:
    The (lnx)^3 one looks evil as well as that one about stationary points you've just posted.
    I actually haven't started doing this question but when I do I'll first make a substitution of u=ln x

ReputationRep:

Also, I resent the insinuation by ukdragon that incest is sleazy :p:
    Was it with a sibling? :p:

Or your "mother"?

....Or even your "father"? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I actually haven't started doing this question but when I do I'll first make a substitution of u=ln x
    Ah sounds much better. I tried it with parts, and ended up with the most hideous expression imaginable (it's probably wrong). I didn't really think about substitution for some reason, probably because I've not had an example yet where I then needed to use parts.

Spoiler:
    Show
    \int(lnx)^3=lnx(xlnx-x) - xlnx + x - 1 - \int\frac{1}{x}[(xlnx-x) - xlnx +x -1]. Don't laugh at my suffering. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, sounds fun. The guy in the current St Andrew's team, no idea what his name is but he sits on the far left, is amazing.

I managed to get 8 questions right last night, though I should have got two more. I was very proud of myself. :lol:

And I probably best not comment on the emboldened bit. :p:
    Chris Flaherty, I know him :cool: He made up the tryout exam I think. He's my stepdad actually (I think, it gets confusing) He's pretty awesome aswell. I also vaguely know the guy on the far right who does physics through athletics.

And to Ukdragon, I am in a relationship with my sister :p: To be fair on me though, that was the case before she became my sister

ReputationRep:
    Ah sounds much better. I tried it with parts, and ended up with the most hideous expression imaginable (it's probably wrong). I didn't really think about substitution for some reason, probably because I've not had an example yet where I then needed to use parts.

Spoiler:
    Show
    \int(lnx)^3=lnx(xlnx-x) - xlnx + x - 1 - \int\frac{1}{x}[(xlnx-x) - xlnx +x -1]
    The last integral evaluates to -lnx

Although your integration went wrong somewhere I think :no:

ReputationRep:
    The last integral evaluates to -lnx

Although your integration went wrong somewhere I think :no:
    I don't doubt it.:p:

The more time I spend on TSR the more depressed I get about my Maths ability.

ReputationRep:
    Chris Flaherty, I know him :cool: He made up the tryout exam I think. He's my stepdad actually (I think, it gets confusing) He's pretty awesome aswell. I also vaguely know the guy on the far right who does physics through athletics.

And to Ukdragon, I am in a relationship with my sister :p: To be fair on me though, that was the case before she became my sister
    :lolwut: Meeehh??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    :lolwut: Meeehh??
    I think he means academic sister (at uni you have academic families with two first year 'children' and two 'parents' in the later years). At least I hope that's what he means....:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj08)
    I think he means academic sister (at uni you have academic families with two first year 'children' and two 'parents' in the later years). At least I hope that's what he means....:p:
    Oooh I see :p:

ReputationRep:
    for higher english , how are you suppose to lay out the quotes ?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.