The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phryx
I'm pretty sure our local nandos accepts our Uni card as NHS as long as it says 'Medicine' on it.

I've tried that at both our local ones here and it didnt work. It only works if you have the NHS logo on your card. :sad:
Original post by Medicine Man
Er, thats slightly extensive. I'd probably die under the pressure! :p:

We just had to know the following:
CVS exam
Resp exam
Abdominal exam
Shoulder exam
Hip exam
Knee exam
BP measurement
PEFR
Walking the blind
Talking to the deaf
Thyroid exam
Cranial Nerves exam
Upper Limb exam (motor and sensory)
Lower Limb exam (motor and sensory)
GALS
BLS
Communication Skills (gaining consent, taking a history, dealing with angry patients etc).

I swear just doing that felt like a lot to do in second year so your stuff must be crazy hard! Thats not to put you off or anything before they start! Haha.

Ill Throw in the our enslaught:

Yr 1
Taking Care of Your Back/Hand Hygiene /Waste disposal
Building the Relationship/ Initiating the Session
Basic Life Support
Examination of the Male & Female Genitalia
Gathering Information
Basic Observations
Blood Pressure
Examination of the Pregnant Abdomen & Fetal Growth
Venepuncture
Examination of the Lymph Nodes
Examination of the Newborn
Injection Techniques
Generic Symptom Framework/Closing the Session
Musculoskeletal Examination
Examination of Rashes and Skin Conditions
Actor Simulated Allergies & Medication Histories
Scrubbing, Gloving, Gowning & Theatre Etiquette
Aseptic Technique & Simple Suturing
Examination of the Breasts
Examination of the Thyroid Gland
Actor Simulated Alcohol & Smoking Histories
Spirometry and Peak Flow Measurement
Examination of the Respiratory System
Actor Simulated Respiratory Histories
Inhaler Techniques
Actor Simulated Cardiovascular Histories
Recording an ECG
Examination of the Cardiovascular System
Abdominal & Gastrointestinal Examination
Actor Simulated Gastrointestinal Histories
Examination of Swellings
Examination of the Cranial Nerves
Examination of the Motor System
Examination of the Sensory System
Ophthalmoscopy & Ear, Nose & Throat Examination
Central Nervous System Histories including Mini-Mental State Exam

And they examined us on BLS, BP, Pregnant Abdomen Examination and Combined CVS/RS and GI examinations.

Year 2
Case Presentation
Drug Dose Calculations
Actor Simulated Sexual Histories
Actor Simulated Obstetric & Gynaecological Histories
Giving Information
Cardiorespiratory Signs
Assessing Diabetes
Musculoskeletal 'GALS' Screen
Actor Simulated Musculoskeletal Histories
Assessment of Nutritional State
Basic Life Support with 2 Rescuers
Basic Airway Management
Paediatric Basic Life Support and the Choking Child
Intravenous Cannulation
Defibrillation
Measuring CVP & Fluid Balance
Glasgow Coma Scale and AVPU Assesments
ECG Rhythm Analysis
Breaking Bad News
Cervical Smears
Vaginal Swabs & Abnormal PV Examinations
Urinary Catheterisation
Urine Collection & Testing
Mental State Examination
Prescribing
Blood Cultures & Swabs
Intravenous Drugs & Infusions
Nasogastric Tubes

Then they test us on IM Injection, MSK Exam (Shoulder & C-Spine), BLS (2 Resc), Airway management, PBLS, Chocking Child, Cannulation, Cranial nerve and motor and then the Year 2 ICSE.

Its pretty much 1/4 of the course and some of them seem so pointless!
(edited 12 years ago)
I've tried that at both our local ones here and it didnt work. It only works if you have the NHS logo on your card. :sad:

Luckily i have an actual NHS card too, its 25% Southwest and 20% london! (Nandos)
If some prospective medical students came into this thread and saw a huge discussion on the discounts we can get at restaurants what would they think of us lol
Original post by Stanley90

If some prospective medical students came into this thread and saw a huge discussion on the discounts we can get at restaurants what would they think of us lol

That we're students? :puppyeyes:

That we like discounted chicken. :p:
Original post by Hygeia
I'm now Dr Hygeia :eek:

:woo:
Er, thats slightly extensive. I'd probably die under the pressure! :p:

We just had to know the following:
CVS exam
Resp exam
Abdominal exam
Shoulder exam
Hip exam
Knee exam
BP measurement
PEFR
Walking the blind
Talking to the deaf
Thyroid exam

Cranial Nerves exam
Upper Limb exam (motor and sensory)
Lower Limb exam (motor and sensory)
GALS
BLS
Communication Skills (gaining consent, taking a history, dealing with angry patients etc).

Add in ear and eye examination as well as phlebotomy

Original post by carcinoma
We did cranial nerve exam in year 1 too, and sensory, motor and proprioception exam.

:yes:
Ill Throw in the our enslaught!

:gasp:
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Anthrax man, all I need to round out the Big 4.

First time seeing any of them for me!

On my looking forward to list: In Flames, Mastodon, Gojira, Opeth, Slipknot, Bill Bailey, The Mars Volta, Limp Bizkit (for the lols of course), Arch Enemy, Cavalera Conspiracy, Motorhead, Orange Goblin, Sylosis and Watain. In other words a lot! Can't wait, just getting excited for sorting out the madness that is the train journey for Camp Bath(TM).
im glad we dont have preclinical OSCEs
Original post by John Locke
im glad we dont have preclinical OSCEs

:ditto:

I've got to say I don't understand what the value is of learning to do a speculum/antenatal examination if you're not actually going to do it on proper patients until you do O&G in 4th/5th year, or of being able to take bloods/cannulate plastic arms if you're not going to be doing it on the wards for another two years. I do think every med student should be able to do BLS (which Cambridge don't teach to its preclinical students), though I've been able to do it since forever thanks to various voluntary work bits and bobs, but beyond that unless you're doing a genuinely totally integrated course like UEA seems to be, lots of it seems rather pointless.
Original post by Hygeia
I'm now Dr Hygeia :eek:

Would rep if it let me. Huge congrats!!
Original post by Helenia

I've got to say I don't understand what the value is of learning to do a speculum/antenatal examination if you're not actually going to do it on proper patients until you do O&G in 4th/5th year, or of being able to take bloods/cannulate plastic arms if you're not going to be doing it on the wards for another two years. I do think every med student should be able to do BLS (which Cambridge don't teach to its preclinical students), though I've been able to do it since forever thanks to various voluntary work bits and bobs, but beyond that unless you're doing a genuinely totally integrated course like UEA seems to be, lots of it seems rather pointless.

We are on a somewhat totally integrated course too, we can be asked to do any examination we have been taught at yr 1 and year 2 GP placements. (they usually stick to the ones we have been examined on though - except histories they expect us to do those at anytime) and we are examined by GPs on various skills through 2nd year.

Personally I would say that learning how to do something in an environment where the outcome does not matter on actors or simulated patients, long before you do it on an actual patient increases your confidence and reduces the anxiety when it comes to doing it for real in year 2 or yr 3.
Personally I would say that learning how to do something in an environment where the outcome does not matter on actors or simulated patients, long before you do it on an actual patient increases your confidence and reduces the anxiety when it comes to doing it for real in year 2 or yr 3.

Concurred.
Congrats Hygeia! :biggrin:

Also, LOL! Joined today!
Okay now this is getting a bit weird.

Original post by Mushi_master
Of course that stuff doesn't matter if it's an integrated course, but then those don't do Oxbridge transfers - probably doesn't matter overall though (especially as you're at King's next year :colone:).

Probably should have guessed that :tongue:
On that note of King's, I hope we bump into each other at some point next year. I'm very excited. The only thing between me and King's is a pass in these upcoming exams and a pass in my last SSC. Fingers crossed. :colondollar:

Agreed. But up to a point. That list was exhaustive! - where's the time for, ya know, pre-clinical stuff?! :tongue:

Or maybe I'm thinking too black & white - if the course is completely and utterly integrated then that's a moot point really.
First year is over :woo:

As long as I don't have any resits :ninja:
I do agree doing some of the stuff is very excessive but I do think Barts' way of doing it is probably ok (and I'm not just saying that because I go there). We don't do the hardcore clinical stuff that some places make their students do so early on. We practically only learn 15/16 exams well by the end of year 2. That's not too much in the grand scheme of things. It's only a bit of practice to get used to the terminology and stuff for firms and to make us feel like we're doing 'proper' medicine. :p: It's essentially equivalent to the 2/3 weeks of intense osce training some guys get at the start of third year when you consider the total time we've spent on it. And the best bit is that it's not rushed when taught and I feel semi confident I can remember the terminology and manoeuvres I've learnt for a while.
Original post by Blatant Troll
Agreed. But up to a point. That list was exhaustive! - where's the time for, ya know, pre-clinical stuff?! :tongue:

Or maybe I'm thinking too black & white - if the course is completely and utterly integrated then that's a moot point really.

Not 100% integrated more like this ^attached

Clinical Skills teaching only takes up ~30% of the timetabled time and about an hour of prep per case unit.

The rest is based around pre-clinical stuff, with clinical "hooks".
Original post by i'm no superman
On that note of King's, I hope we bump into each other at some point next year. I'm very excited. The only thing between me and King's is a pass in these upcoming exams and a pass in my last SSC. Fingers crossed. :colondollar:

I'm sure you'll see me about, although I'll be in clinics so no idea where I'll be at just yet! Good luck, you'll ace it!
Original post by Helenia

We have to pass BLS at the end of first year, then again at the start of clinicals. Anyone who is stupid enough to fail is brought back and not allowed to progress until they do. Never heard of it happening though.

Latest

Trending

Trending