The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brand New Eyes

Univ's accomadation is quite drab, but the location is great. On the main road near all the shops and right next to the Exams Office. It's the oldest and doesn't have that much green space/area

hope that helps

Univ is currently my top choice (I think) because of the location (well it's not that close to my subject, but oh well), accommodation for all years, medium number of undergrads, a large non-audition choir which could be fun, I've met one of the tutors for my subject who was good, they have a debating society which sounds fun and then invite science students to a free maths week before the first term starts to give everyone a bit of a headstart.

Explain what counts as drab? I am a bit put off by the 3rd/4th year accommodation being a long way out. The lack of green space doesn't bother me really, I can get allergic to outsideness :tongue:
Original post by fluteflute
So by a process of elimination I am down to Magdalen, Merton, Oriel, St Annes's, St John's, University and Worcester.

Still quite a lot of options!

I can just recommend merton. When I was there everyone was soo nice! And it is also not that big. When I was at Magdalen I was shocked how big it was. It is beautiful but wayyy too big :redface:
Original post by nightmare91

I can just recommend merton. When I was there everyone was soo nice! And it is also not that big. When I was at Magdalen I was shocked how big it was. It is beautiful but wayyy too big :redface:
My reasons against Merton are so pathetic I'm almost ashamed...

Accommodation - I know they offer it for all years, but from what I hear it's kinda scattered around the place, not in one location, after first year. Maybe that's just me being silly though, that could be a benefit I guess? I've also heard it mentioned they have large rooms :biggrin:

The CS tutor looks like he could be scary

And lastly I know someone who's there, and I'd quite like to get away from my "current life" while I'm at Uni, if you know what I mean. On the other hand I could have a chat with them and they'd probably convince me how great Merton is, which could boost my morale :biggrin:

On the other hand I quite like the idea of a smallish college. Again not sure if I really would fit in better in a smaller place, but hey...
Univ is currently my top choice (I think) because of the location (well it's not that close to my subject, but oh well), accommodation for all years, medium number of undergrads, a large non-audition choir which could be fun, I've met one of the tutors for my subject who was good, they have a debating society which sounds fun and then invite science students to a free maths week before the first term starts to give everyone a bit of a headstart.

Explain what counts as drab? I am a bit put off by the 3rd/4th year accommodation being a long way out. The lack of green space doesn't bother me really, I can get allergic to outsideness :tongue:

Ah I was thinking whether to mention to non audition choir, they do tours or something to Europe aswell. My guide was quite emphatic. They're also not that sporty and they have both formal and non-formal dinners I think at least twice a week? I think other colleges also do a head start maths week.

Erm Well I looked at the old block and although the sitting rooms are big (I saw the one with cut off bedroom and a large sitting area) the bedroom was tiny and feels squashed and worn out. The lighting was dark but I guess this can be fixed with more watts on your bulbs and some decoration. The second year/ones reserved for (cant remember what position but something) looked nice though. I only saw one room so depends which one you get I guess.

Hayfever kills me every year, but I still love my green spaces :borat:

Ah I was thinking whether to mention to non audition choir, they do tours or something to Europe aswell. My guide was quite emphatic. They're also not that sporty and they have both formal and non-formal dinners I think at least twice a week? I think other colleges also do a head start maths week.

Erm Well I looked at the old block and although the sitting rooms are big (I saw the one with cut off bedroom and a large sitting area) the bedroom was tiny and feels squashed and worn out. The lighting was dark but I guess this can be fixed with more watts on your bulbs and some decoration. The second year/ones reserved for (cant remember what position but something) looked nice though. I only saw one room so depends which one you get I guess.

Hayfever kills me every year, but I still love my green spaces :borat:

Mmm I'm not too sporty so that's good. It says on their website they have formal dinner six times a week (if you want it, serve yourself informal is available too). On the flipside it makes it sound like they have few kitchens (but I'm not big cook).

Hmm, you'd have thought they'd show you one of the nicer rooms!

Where are you planning on applying? Did you get any more tours of places?
Mmm I'm not too sporty so that's good. It says on their website they have formal dinner six times a week (if you want it, serve yourself informal is available too). On the flipside it makes it sound like they have few kitchens (but I'm not big cook).

Hmm, you'd have thought they'd show you one of the nicer rooms!

Where are you planning on applying? Did you get any more tours of places?

Hmm, did you go to the July Open day? Glad I got to see the range though, my guide did say it was very unlikely we'd get the nice one in first year. Hmm yeah I think because hall food is so cheap there aren't self caterers. In the block I seem to remember some vague recollection of a kitchen? There might be an extra charge for its use and he said it gets pretty grimy up there because people dont clean up after themselves :/ Oh and the library was ahem small by my standards, although I guess you'll use your department library more, and at least its 24 hr at Univ and they're friendly.

Hmm, did you go to the July Open day? Glad I got to see the range though, my guide did say it was very unlikely we'd get the nice one in first year. Hmm yeah I think because hall food is so cheap there aren't self caterers. In the block I seem to remember some vague recollection of a kitchen? There might be an extra charge for its use and he said it gets pretty grimy up there because people dont clean up after themselves :/ Oh and the library was ahem small by my standards, although I guess you'll use your department library more, and at least its 24 hr at Univ and they're friendly.
I didn't, I went to a subject-specific open day, but was in Oxford for a week so went to visit a few college's grounds. (And basically decided that I prefer smallish grounds, but I'm not too fussed about architecture, but some oldness is nice). I might go in September just to look at colleges.

I don't think CompScis use the libraries that much, so that's no big deal for me. Again lack of kitchens? I couldn't care less if the food is cheap :biggrin:

Accommodation - I know they offer it for all years, but from what I hear it's kinda scattered around the place, not in one location, after first year. Maybe that's just me being silly though, that could be a benefit I guess? I've also heard it mentioned they have large rooms :biggrin:

And lastly I know someone who's there, and I'd quite like to get away from my "current life" while I'm at Uni, if you know what I mean. On the other hand I could have a chat with them and they'd probably convince me how great Merton is, which could boost my morale :biggrin:

On the other hand I quite like the idea of a smallish college. Again not sure if I really would fit in better in a smaller place, but hey...

Ah Ok I see what you mean. Well, I am not 100 percent sure by saying this, but all the second year students are in one place and all third year students are in their place. So they aren't really scattered around the place, there is just a big difference between the different years. The rooms for first year students are quite big. I liked my room, the bed was comfortable and it was clean, which is the most important thing. I saw 2 rooms in Magdelen and they were dark and really old fashioned. They were bigger but not as modern at the Merton rooms. But that's just my opinion :smile:.

I can understand why you don't really want to see someone you know. One reason why I even leave my country is to get away from the people here :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Ah Ok I see what you mean. Well, I am not 100 percent sure by saying this, but all the second year students are in one place and all third year students are in their place. So they aren't really scattered around the place, there is just a big difference between the different years. The rooms for first year students are quite big. I liked my room, the bed was comfortable and it was clean, which is the most important thing. I saw 2 rooms in Magdelen and they were dark and really old fashioned. They were bigger but not as modern at the Merton rooms. But that's just my opinion :smile:.

I can understand why you don't really want to see someone you know. One reason why I even leave my country is to get away from the people here :biggrin:
I think you're right about the accommodation not being too scattered :smile:

I think I'm just going to have to go to the open day next month. Everywhere is so attractive...
Original post by medbh4805

I love your comment on Bernard's watch. It's so so so true!

I think you're right about the accommodation not being too scattered :smile:

I think I'm just going to have to go to the open day next month. Everywhere is so attractive...

It is indeed. I thank my lucky stars I've lived in Oxford all my life. Born and raised here, indeed.

I didn't, I went to a subject-specific open day, but was in Oxford for a week so went to visit a few college's grounds. (And basically decided that I prefer smallish grounds, but I'm not too fussed about architecture, but some oldness is nice). I might go in September just to look at colleges.

I don't think CompScis use the libraries that much, so that's no big deal for me. Again lack of kitchens? I couldn't care less if the food is cheap :biggrin:

Mmm kitchen space is basically irrelevant for first years, is it not, because everyone will eat in the great hall of each college? (But of course it can be handy to have access to a kitchenette to make tea / coffee / hot chocolate if you're pulling an all-nighter for an essay deadline.)

I too have always been attracted to the smaller colleges, though I've always found Harris Manchester (the smallest college) a tad too small for my liking. But I think you're right that the smaller colleges to have a more close-knit sense of community, and that really appeals to me and always has done.

OOOOH CompSci? Nice. I'll be applying for History, though I've still not decided whether to apply to Cambridge or Oxford...I love both cities, you see! And the History courses at both look wonderful.
Original post by SebCross

Original post by SebCross
I've still not decided whether to apply to Cambridge or Oxford...I love both cities, you see! And the History courses at both look wonderful.
If I was you I'd go to Cambridge, simply to get away from home.

My home city has a wonderful Computer Science course, but I couldn't face living at home. (Not that I hate Southampton at all, I'm more positive about it than many)
Hi! I'm thinking of applying to trinity college, but I'm curious how are the meals are like....
Their website says that there's formal dinner almost everyday for like 1 whole hour!!

Do people actually go there or do students end up cooking dinner/buying food on their own? Is there an informal and more convenient dinner for students to go to?

Cause if everyone ends up cooking on their own, then I don't think I'll apply to Trinity. Haha I have no plans to cook or find my own food, I just want to turn up and have it ready. (:
:s-smilie: i personally think i'd much prefer a big college with loads of people...
Original post by brenda2011

Original post by brenda2011
Hi! I'm thinking of applying to trinity college, but I'm curious how are the meals are like....
Their website says that there's formal dinner almost everyday for like 1 whole hour!!

Do people actually go there or do students end up cooking dinner/buying food on their own? Is there an informal and more convenient dinner for students to go to?

Cause if everyone ends up cooking on their own, then I don't think I'll apply to Trinity. Haha I have no plans to cook or find my own food, I just want to turn up and have it ready. (:

It sounds like Trinity doesn't have "informal hall" (most colleges that have formal hall, also have informal hall). Somebody in another thread said it normally takes about 45 minutes, thought you could leave after 30 and skip pudding. Apparently it's cheaper than McDonalds so although it takes time, it's pretty convenient monetary wise!

I'm sure you'd always find a group to go with. I guess it does depend a bit what your friends like though.
i would like self catering facilities tbh
Original post by manic_fuzz

Original post by manic_fuzz
:s-smilie: i personally think i'd much prefer a big college with loads of people...

I guess the thing is that even the biggest colleges are smaller than going to another university and just being "one of the students".

If I was you I'd go to Cambridge, simply to get away from home.

My home city has a wonderful Computer Science course, but I couldn't face living at home. (Not that I hate Southampton at all, I'm more positive about it than many)

Southampton's a great city. My sister's looking at the uni' for Medicine, actually, and it's on my UCAS form. Their History dept. is excellent.

Lies. First year accommodation is on site (and to get to it you walk through the most beautiful gardens :love:). Second year is off-site, but it's on Holywell Street, literally five minutes away, and third year is back in the main quads. I've heard of other colleges having second year accommodation miles away! I don't know about the CS tutor, though. :P

Has the person you know just finished first year? If so, (s)he'll graduate after you finish your first year, so they really won't be around for long.

Why are you thinking of St Annes? It's ugly, a long way out by Oxford standards, and is definitely not smallish.

Latest

Trending

Trending