Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Think I've said before I do quite like emotion in TV/movies (Whatever that might be - pain, love, whatever - the acting seems a little more "real")
    Yeah me too, but the last time anything on a screen got to me like that was Mufassah dying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One problem for me is I can't tell the difference between Missy and Moriarty (I don't think moff can either). And Danny, he had so much potential for the first few episodes but he just turned out to be something Moff use to point out that 'Oh the Doctor is dark and quite abit of a douche..HE'S DIFFERENT.'. The entire series has been on/off frustration..But the times when Capaldi was written properly and given the chance to shine - magic.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    It could've been explored a little beyond "The Master lied/was wrong", though. Missy pointed out how the Doctor hadn't bothered to look for Gallifrey, and there was no indication given that he intended to go out and find out - I would've liked at least a slight prod in that direction. Rather than "oop, well, it's not there, better go lie to Clara so she has no incentive to travel with me any more." It was heartwrenching seeing his anguish and anger, but it would've been nice to see some form of intention come out of that!

I had a quick look up at that series' finale, and it makes sense to me again, after you grant a bit of artistic liberty.

I do think the relationship was fantastic, but it could've been explored so much more. We got a great insight into the Master's view of her relationship with the Doctor and there was great interaction between the two, but we didn't get as much exploration in the other direction.

Simm's came back because of the whole Gallifrey resurrection. I feel like it's a bit cheap if they create another loophole to bring them back! That's why I'm hoping that one the poster's above is right, and she was actually teleported rather than disintegrated (after all, since when has a Cyberman shot instantly disintegrated a Time Lord?), otherwise it's just a bit disappointing.

I was thinking on this whole Nethersphere as well - how does the clockwork automaton from episode 1 end up there without mind or soul? Are we seriously trying to say that animate objects have conscious minds (esp. after all this stuff about basic programming)/souls? Or are we saying that it has acquired the mind/soul via the harvesting of human flesh??
    Urgh that made me miss Tennant so much!

(Original post by getfunky!)
    :rofl: better late than never

I've found the next companion:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Sorry, it's a complex process putting a new poll up so easier to just do it series by series :yep:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    :ninja:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tillybop)
    :ninja:
    Oh here she is - the biggest Doctor Who fan, always missing trains because you fantasise about the Peter Capaldi:shakecane:

(Original post by shadowdweller)
    x
    (Original post by burstedbubbles)
    axe
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    Oh here she is - the biggest Doctor Who fan, always missing trains because you fantasise about the Peter Capaldi:shakecane:
    Axe :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure Missy is still alive. The flash of light was blue, that's teleportation. Whether the Doctor did it intentionally or not, I don't know.

I'm going to be in the incredibly tiny minority here and say that Danny should have forgotten about that damn kid and just come back. I started to really like Danny! He was cool and calm and could handle anything. Also really wish Kate had died. I don't like her and I was so happy when she fell out of the plane.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by syrettd)
    Pretty sure Missy is still alive. The flash of light was blue, that's teleportation. Whether the Doctor did it intentionally or not, I don't know.

I'm going to be in the incredibly tiny minority here and say that Danny should have forgotten about that damn kid and just come back. I started to really like Danny! He was cool and calm and could handle anything. Also really wish Kate had died. I don't like her and I was so happy when she fell out of the plane.
    You're not alone there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think moffat has destroyed doctor who. If i dealt with the 2 parters then i would.

-Make danny die still
    - Have the doctor refuse to save danny
    - Clara leaves the doctor in an epitomy of anger
    - missy reveal herself as clara in the future
    - Missy(clara) fights the doctor
    - Doctor defeats missy (clara) and realises what having someone travel with him do and thus no longer has a companion
    - Leading to a lonely dark doctor who is nearly as monstrous as the master and he meets the master in season 9
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Miladrises)
    I think moffat has destroyed doctor who. If i dealt with the 2 parters then i would.

-Make danny die still
    - Doctor defeats missy (clara) and realises what having someone travel with him do and thus no longer has a companion
    - Leading to a lonely dark doctor who is nearly as monstrous as the master and he meets the master in season 9
    Now that would be good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

-Make danny die still
    And they go in search of gallifrey together. Now that would be an epic season!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was a good finale, though there was too much packed into it. I liked having the Brigadier return, and Gomez was a great choice as the Master. Even if her body was disintegrated at the end we all know the Master will come back someday, somehow - this is Doctor Who. I was sad that the bespectacled UNIT scientist was killed, I liked her.

I was expecting to see something about Clara's Mum. They made a huge deal out of that relationship in the last series, with the (terrible) Rings of Akhaten leaf stuff. After all that happened, it was strange not to see her come to help her daughter. Initially I thought that's who the Brigadier cyberman was when he appeared.

I hated the very end with Santa. Not sure how on earth that could fit into a decent episode.

ReputationRep:
    Missy's entire plan was formulated just to play a game with the Doctor? Silly Moffat; you're thinking of Moriarty.

ReputationRep:
    I liked the bit where the Doctor beat Lorde.

ReputationRep:

-Make danny die still
    I was really hoping this would happen. What a great twist it would be for the Doctor to find out that he has been travelling with his greatest enemy all this time and had no idea. It would mean that the master changing gender actually had some relevance (other than "time lords can change gender now cos moffat said so") and would also explain a number of things about clara like why the tardis hated her (i dont think that was ever explained) as well as missy making sure she and the doctor stayed together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrexhamfc)
    Missy's entire plan was formulated just to play a game with the Doctor? Silly Moffat; you're thinking of Moriarty.
    I guess you don't know much about classic Who, the character was invented to be Moriarty to the 3rd Doctors Holmes like persona.

ReputationRep:
    Very picky of me I know, as I felt in general it was a good, if somewhat disjointed finale.
    But...
    There were 91 cybermen in St Paul's in total. Missy confirmed that. Those 91 then spread across the UK.
    So... How come Clara was dealing with 3 or 4 cybermen in St Paul's?!

ReputationRep:
    Is it weird I find Gomez strangely attractive?

ReputationRep:
    What the hell did I just watch? What was the point of the episode if the Doctor and the Master are going to end up together at the end and she hands him power over the cybermen?

What was the point of getting on the plane if it gets destroyed a second later? Why try and kill the Doctor if the whole point is giving him an army? Was he supposed to die?

Also why have a metal cyberman grow from nothing using the smallest piece of dna? What happens to disembodied arms? Does that become a cyberman as well? Does this also mean that factories are henceforth negated for making cybermen?

Why say you've found Galifrey and then have the coordinates not lead there? Did she lie? But you said she didn't lie?

Also, who actually remembered the master giving Clara a phone number or anything? Why did any of this matter? Most of this episode seemed to be people standing there and doing nothing nor advancing any plot at all.

Did missy die at the end? Did she teleport for no reason? But what did the Lethbridge Stewart do then? Did he fire an orgasm laser at her?

It's just so dumb. This is what happens when you write stories about the main characters who don't reveal anything at all. Literally everything in this story is told through exposition then it tries to fake out the audience by going "ha ha fooled you, my exposition wasn't true ha ha ha".

I hate Moffatt. He can't write for crap any more. He can script an pre-established Sherlock Holmes story but he can't write properly.

Plus, that ending mid credits was so stupid it's like watching a Cbeebies show, jangling keys in the face of stupid children that find it entertaining.

(Original post by de_monies)
    I think this is genuinely the only TV episode ever (In the whole of TV) that actually brought some tears to my eyes, and that Danny Pink brought back a kid that he had killed

Though what happened to that kid?

That was so dumb, I genuinely thought they were going to explore guilt and regret of killing people but then it turned out all you do is simply send them back to earth. Great job. Will the disabled character magically grow their abilities again instead of showing people coping with life?

"Oh no? Done something wrong with your life? Well let's just hit the undo button, that's the only solution we can think of"

Doesn't help Danny is a complete idiot for working with the Doctor instead using his common sense and punch him in the face for being a complete idiot about him and being pointlessly insensitive.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Lol. No. :indiff:

I saw this thread and couldn't understand why anyone would post here. :grin:

(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Axe :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Axe doctor who. Solid plan :yy:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.