Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImbecileDave)
    Wait 2-3 weeks before you say that. Everyday more and more sites are creating articles saying Luiz and Mata to Barcelona for 35Million each.
    If we lose Luiz and Mata we're back down to 3rd to be honest.
    Imagine the midfield without Mata? Hazard will take a hit.
    Of course man...

(Original post by 419)
    Lol, why is this negged?

Chelsea fans lurking :beard:

No, just the Chelsea fans are. You know, they ones that are already predicting the final league table for next season. The ones that said they'd walk away with the title last season.

The basis of their point I'd like to know. Actually, I do. It's baseless.
    Dunno who said that chelsea would win the title last season(you can check my posts from last season because I said we'd come second with united first), I certainly didn't, expected us to come second around 75-85 points with city having a poor season which almost happened. I expect us to come at least second this season at this moment in time and all current factors considered. But tbh I could just say that there's no point predicting anything until mid-january on your logic. Someone could just get a free transfer in september/november who soars the team to the title. We're basically making judgement on the basis of our current team and current signings/expected signings with the assumption that they're all on form and all stay fit. I don't see why you have to attack us for that.

ReputationRep:
    Without Luiz or mata you would be under arsenal tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Brownize)
    Without Luiz or mata you would be under arsenal tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bit of a shaky one, that. Without Wilshere/Koscielny/Cazorla... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Of course it will, I just feel that Arsenal are probably better equipped to deal with the financial powerhouses in Europe, simply because they have dealt with it effectively in the last 5-6 years.
    That's a joke right.. Is that why arsenal are finishing 4th, if Chelsea and city didn't have their money arsenal would finish second every season...and is selling your best players to these teams dealing with them? No.. UTD have dealt with these types if teams for some time now.. Consistently winning the league and challenging for trophies without a sugar daddy... If arsenal want to succeed they must follow the Manchester United model, attractive attacking football with a professional squad that contains a good blend of youth... Added with massive commercial prowess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    That's a joke right.. Is that why arsenal are finishing 4th, if Chelsea and city didn't have their money arsenal would finish second every season...and is selling your best players to these teams dealing with them? No.. UTD have dealt with these types if teams for some time now.. Consistently winning the league and challenging for trophies without a sugar daddy... If arsenal want to succeed they must follow the Manchester United model, attractive attacking football with a professional squad that contains a good blend of youth... Added with massive commercial prowess

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not exactly been a viable option for us over the past 5-6 years with our financial constraints, it's naive to think we could have competed with United in that time period. However, on the commercial front we're already seeing huge improvements, with the rumoured kit deal blowing Chelsea and City out of the water and putting us above United on that front at least until they renew again.

Arsenal, losing the shackles of stadium debt, is in great shape for the future to overcome lost ground in the next few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that's what arsenal are planning to do tbh. They have a good core of youth now. They bought experienced players in mertesacker, podolski, monreal, arteta recently and have a young british core. I think they're doing it the right way, and if they keep at it without selling key players without a viable replacement they will be consistently challenging for trophies.

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    Bit of a shaky one, that. Without Wilshere/Koscielny/Cazorla... :p:
    Without mata yes, he was pivotal this season, absolutely important to the team but I could just say take out cazorla and you'd be behind tottenham, so it goes two ways. Or without RVP united wouldn't have had that giant lead in january. Since city self imploded I can't say anyone for them though

(Original post by jam277)
    Without mata yes, he was pivotal this season, absolutely important to the team but I could just say take out cazorla and you'd be behind tottenham, so it goes two ways. Or without RVP united wouldn't have had that giant lead in january. Since city self imploded I can't say anyone for them though
    That's exactly what I said/implied. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly what I said/implied. :p:
    Was more in response to the other poster. (I know, weird)
    Anyway I wanna hear from you, these new financial deals, when do you see arsenal using this to full effect? Also do you see arsenal making profits on players in a bid to be sustainable or that time is over due to the new stadium and a more man united type model being adopted?

Was more in response to the other poster. (I know, weird)
    Anyway I wanna hear from you, these new financial deals, when do you see arsenal using this to full effect? Also do you see arsenal making profits on players in a bid to be sustainable or that time is over due to the new stadium and a more man united type model being adopted?
    I wouldn't predict huge wholesale changes any time soon, tbh. :holmes: People talk about Wenger not spending because of financial constraints, and to an extent that's true of course - but at the same time, I do also think Wenger's motivated by his values or the way he thinks football would work best. So I don't see any 50-million-200k/w signings any time even over the next couple of seasons; so perhaps we won't use the new money 'to full effect' in the way you (I'm assuming ) mean it for a while, during Wenger's reign and possibly after that (depending naturally on who succeeds him) - we might instead pump more money into facilities, youth resources (now that City have invested so heavily in that direction) and scouting (and maybe the corporate side as well; I'm not too clued up on that aspect of our running, I don't know how up-to-date and stuff it is). Which isn't to say there'll be no changes at all, but I would think they'd start smaller and closer to home than what Chelsea and City did: we might have three or four players on close to/over 100k/w instead of one or two by next season (which, by Wengerian principles, would mean the general wages of the first-team would probably rise as well), we might make a couple of moderately big-name signings now - though I still wouldn't expect 25 million signings every season. Wenger likes his teams to stick together and grow as a unit, and I think we'll continue to see that philosophy in effect.

On a separate note, a couple of nice YouTube videos found courtesy of The Guardian:

(i) Thierry Henry - much more than just a goalscorer. :sogood:

(ii) 1986-12-14 Ajax - Roda JC 2-0. If you skip to 7:00, you'll see a certain someone making his first ever professional appearance. :adore:

Also, what's all this about Keisuke Honda being available on a free transfer? I remember Wenger being very complimentary about him in 2010 - I'm pretty sure he used the word 'genius'. If we're in for an attacking-midfielder, as rumours have suggested, perhaps he'd emerge as a viable option? Especially given Wenger experience in Japan/ability to speak Japanese/respect within Japan. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    The Higuain deal is looking good.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...d-8666744.html

I don't understand the hate he gets. He has spent 7 years at one of the best clubs in the world and has proven himself there. He's top quality.

(Original post by midnightice)
    The Higuain deal is looking good.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...d-8666744.html

I don't understand the hate he gets. He has spent 7 years at one of the best clubs in the world and has proven himself there. He's top quality.
    Higuain gets hate? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, he can be pretty hot and cold at times, plus his link up play isnt great (thats why Benzema gets the nod over him).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't predict huge wholesale changes any time soon, tbh. :holmes: People talk about Wenger not spending because of financial constraints, and to an extent that's true of course - but at the same time, I do also think Wenger's motivated by his values or the way he thinks football would work best. So I don't see any 50-million-200k/w signings any time even over the next couple of seasons; so perhaps we won't use the new money 'to full effect' in the way you (I'm assuming ) mean it for a while, during Wenger's reign and possibly after that (depending naturally on who succeeds him) - we might instead pump more money into facilities, youth resources (now that City have invested so heavily in that direction) and scouting (and maybe the corporate side as well; I'm not too clued up on that aspect of our running, I don't know how up-to-date and stuff it is). Which isn't to say there'll be no changes at all, but I would think they'd start smaller and closer to home than what Chelsea and City did: we might have three or four players on close to/over 100k/w instead of one or two by next season (which, by Wengerian principles, would mean the general wages of the first-team would probably rise as well), we might make a couple of moderately big-name signings now - though I still wouldn't expect 25 million signings every season. Wenger likes his teams to stick together and grow as a unit, and I think we'll continue to see that philosophy in effect.

On a separate note, a couple of nice YouTube videos found courtesy of The Guardian:

(i) Thierry Henry - much more than just a goalscorer. :sogood:

(ii) 1986-12-14 Ajax - Roda JC 2-0. If you skip to 7:00, you'll see a certain someone making his first ever professional appearance. :adore:

Also, what's all this about Keisuke Honda being available on a free transfer? I remember Wenger being very complimentary about him in 2010 - I'm pretty sure he used the word 'genius'. If we're in for an attacking-midfielder, as rumours have suggested, perhaps he'd emerge as a viable option? Especially given Wenger experience in Japan/ability to speak Japanese/respect within Japan. :holmes:
    I figured that's what wenger would do. He's a principled man and I respect that. It's hard to adopt a bayern model in buying rivals best players though, but wenger would do good methodical signings to try and improve the team than find the best player in a position and pay as much as you can for them.

wrt keisuke honda, he sounds so much of a wenger signing that he won't be at arsenal. But I'd love to see him in the prem. I think he'll be a hit here. Can take the creative burden off cazorla, make up for rosicky when he's injured or you could even play with 3 playmakers. Oh and you'll finally have a decent set piece taker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Yes, he can be pretty hot and cold at times, plus his link up play isnt great (thats why Benzema gets the nod over him).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not this season. Didn't higuain start vs dortmund, start vs united in the second leg and in other big games. In comparison to the previous season where benzema started all the big games, I think higuain played on the wing vs barca one time e.g.
    Although while higuain is quality the guy can miss sitters or just be absolutely anonymous for 90mins, might as well buy mario gomez.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thugnificent.)

ReputationRep:
    I just got negged for calling him a quality player, so yes, he gets hate.

ReputationRep:
    Not this season. Didn't higuain start vs dortmund, start vs united in the second leg and in other big games. In comparison to the previous season where benzema started all the big games, I think higuain played on the wing vs barca one time e.g.
    Although while higuain is quality the guy can miss sitters or just be absolutely anonymous for 90mins, might as well buy mario gomez.
    I think if you're having a go at Higuain's finishing you're barking up the wrong tree, he's incredible in front of goal, one of the best finishers in Europe.

He's also much, much harder working than Mario Gomez.

ReputationRep:
    So Higuain is going to be our striker then, as predicted by Ornstein. I wonder who he DM and AM will be.

If Juve are going for Tevez will they be able to afford Jovetic as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I think if you're having a go at Higuain's finishing you're barking up the wrong tree, he's incredible in front of goal, one of the best finishers in Europe.

He's also much, much harder working than Mario Gomez.
    He's a good finisher, but I've seen him miss a few sitters in matches, maybe just a few isolated incidents or the type that anyone can miss from time to time but still bad none the less, when you see the finishing of the likes of ronaldo and messi who are ruthless when in front of goal one on one.

The mario gomez thing was a joke.
    Anyway bar that just saw that your past 6 ties with tottenham have yielded 31 goals. Wasn't there a match you were 2-0 up and you lost 3-2 :rofl: and there was that 3-3 draw when huddlestone banged it. The north london derby is the most consistently exciting match in the prem I feel.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...en-of-the-best

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.