The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bellylaugh
Yes I did. I'd say they were about Year 6 SATs level. If you've revised for your skills tests then you'll be fine. Maybe do a couple of past SATs as revision? For the literacy test is was questions about things like:
- active/passive verbs
- Proper/common/abstract/collective nouns
- subordinate clauses
- personal/impersonal sentences
- adverbs, connectives, prepositions etc

Essentially all the stuff you'd expect a Year 6 student to know.
Good luck!

Hi, this may be a silly question but were the questions multiple choice or do you write out the answers yourself?
Original post by EmilyCooke
Hi, this may be a silly question but were the questions multiple choice or do you write out the answers yourself?

Some you had to write yourself, others you had a sentence and had to highlight the proper noun/abstract noun etc. Or they'd give you a sentence written in the active voice and you had to re-write it in the passive. Another example I had was a sentence with a space in the middle in which to write a suitable subordinate clause. We were also given words where we had to add a suffix to make the word into an adjective. It really wasn't difficult at all.
Original post by EmilyCooke
Oh wow, thank you for your help! I better start reminding myself of all these terms then eh?

Yeah I'd just refresh your memory of Key Stage 2 Literacy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/english/

I think some universities do ask you to write a piece of continuous prose to test your spelling/grammar/punctuation etc but I didn't have that. My numeracy/literacy test was only 20 mins in total so really not difficult at all.
Original post by Andrew240
Anyone for Edge Hill interview on Wednesday?

This Wednesday or next Weds? I have one next Weds (15th). What subject is yours for?

Original post by irishwitgirl
Hi everyone,

does anyone know if the uni's can see your track? Can they see if you have been succesful or unsuccesful or not given an interview in another uni?

I am worried if they can, it might have an affect on my interview tomorrow!

No they can't, don't worry. They can't even see who else you've applied to.

In my last interview it was annoying because I don't think the uni knew how it worked because it said on the form Sheffield Hallam with a 3 next to it, so she was asking me why I've listed it as my last choice. I was confused, I told her we don't list choices in priority order and the 3 will just be referring to it's number alphabetically.
Original post by Airfairy
This Wednesday or next Weds? I have one next Weds (15th). What subject is yours for?

Ah, mine is this Wednesday (8th), for Secondary History. You?
Anyone sat the maths, I can't believe how hard it is :-(
Original post by bellylaugh
Yeah I'd just refresh your memory of Key Stage 2 Literacy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/english/

I think some universities do ask you to write a piece of continuous prose to test your spelling/grammar/punctuation etc but I didn't have that. My numeracy/literacy test was only 20 mins in total so really not difficult at all.

Okay brill, thanks. I'm good at English and have passed my skills test I just need to remind myself of the proper terms and key words! X
Original post by Lkll
Oh thank you for replying, maths I have been revising for but I've sidetracked English for a while now.
do they as you things like what is an abstract noun? Or do you identify where it is used in a text ?
panicking !

thanks a lot though !

Well I can only tell you what I had in my interview...but yes, we were given sentences and had to identify things like abstract nouns. Honestly it really wasn't difficult. If you read through this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/english/) then you'll be fine!
Original post by Lucy_jucie
Anyone sat the maths, I can't believe how hard it is :-(

I did my first practice for the maths and got 50%. I'm not too bummed about that though because I didn't do any prep and haven't done maths in five years so I know with a bit of reading up and a few more practice tests I'll be fine! The 18 seconds for the mental maths goes awfully fast though... The other bit was fine.

Original post by Andrew240
Ah, mine is this Wednesday (8th), for Secondary History. You?

Secondary R.E. for me. Best of luck for it anyway!

---------

I wonder how many providers actually wait until the deadline they are given to let you hear about a decision. I thought I'd have heard from Hallam by now, I hope they don't leave it as long as they're allowed...that's early Feb :frown: . I washoping to know before my weds interview. I can't wait till this whole process is over -for better or worse. I'd actually love just be able to focus on my degree at the moment. Never thought I'd say that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there, I've applied for Schools Direct in Hull, and have an interview, but heard nothing from my application to Hull University yet (Primary PGCE). Anyone else heard anything?
Original post by Airfairy
Hi. Someone might want to back me up on this but I'm pretty sure that if the course closes you are notified of that so that you can make another choice, so I don't think they will have closed. Neither does not hearing mean they aren't considering your application. I didn't have a confirmation from any of mine yet got three interviews. When did you apply? Some places may take a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks to comfort me dear.I applied on 31st and paid my fees.hope to get something this week. Fingers crossed...
Hi, does anyone know if I can complete a longer SKE course than my conditional offer specifies? I've been asked to complete a 12 week maths but would like to do a longer one if I will get funding for it.
Anyone attending an interview at Lincoln BGU Friday morning?
Finally been able to rearrange one of my interviews that I couldn't attend... Now got next Monday and Wednesday for interviews! Excited but nervous...

Prepping presentations and doing research on educational/subject issues whilst sat in a chalet in France is much more relaxing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MirandaKate
Hi there, I've applied for Schools Direct in Hull, and have an interview, but heard nothing from my application to Hull University yet (Primary PGCE). Anyone else heard anything?

I know some people who have interviews, but they're all at Hull for an undergrad degree in Education and they were told they were guaranteed an interview.
Original post by siffatsaad
Thanks to comfort me dear.I applied on 31st and paid my fees.hope to get something this week. Fingers crossed...

As in 31st of December? If so you have nothing to worry about yet! That only leaves a couple of working days and unis have been closed so you may even be waiting a couple of weeks. I think I was waiting a week for my first two interviews and about three for my last.
I have a Primary interview tomorrow, and am currently researching some educational issues that I can talk about. Do you think that the educational issues will have to be related to Primary education specifically, or would I be able to talk about something such as the PISA results, or performance-related pay for teachers? I'm finding it really difficult to unearth any Primary educational issues with enough supporting evidence :s-smilie:
Can anyone please tell me briefly the type of level/question format for the maths and English tests at a Primary PGCE interview at St. Mary's Twickenham?

I'm trying to learn so much and it is taking time away from my actual interview prep!

Help... please :frown:
Original post by LaurieLee
Finally been able to rearrange one of my interviews that I couldn't attend... Now got next Monday and Wednesday for interviews! Excited but nervous...

Prepping presentations and doing research on educational/subject issues whilst sat in a chalet in France is much more relaxing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooooo you lucky thing! Hope your enjoying yourself too x
Original post by siffatsaad

I finished and paid a month before you and am still waiting to hear from 2 of my providers. You may have a while to wait yet, just try and stay calm as they will get back to you it's just a matter of sifting through all of the applications.

Latest

Trending

Trending