Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Moreno has never been not brainless going forwards. His end product is dismal and to be honest even his ability to beat a man has been found out in England (was decent in Spain but we're just more physical here). The only thing he has, at either end of the pitch, is energy.

Ship him out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What can you say about a night like tonight? Leicester are enjoying the perfect storm - and Vardy's goals were just wonderful. He's the story of the season, and you feel like tonight is the type of performance and moment which people will remember Vardy for.

The main difference - between us and them - was pace. Leicester have it in abundance, aside from their back four. It absolutely courses through that side - and it's what makes them so dangerous. We lack it in all areas. Everybody is too slow over five yards, too pedestrian, too willing to take a touch and look around. There was too little urgency.

Oh, and Henderson is clearly not fit. He just isn't. From him forward, to a man, we were very poor. Lucas had probably one of his worst games since 2007-08 - when he struggled adapting to the PL and England so overtly - while Milner and Firmino were anonymous, and Lallana summed up our lack of purpose and pace.

On a positive note, Sakho and Lovren no longer have to worry about Vardy and Mahrez - because they were pulled apart tonight - and Mignolet seems to be improving at shot-stopping, at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Considering how obsessed Rodgers was with his passing game, it's astounding that 3 and a half years later we still don't have a midfield capable of playing simple passes. Lucas and Can were dire, Henderson not much better but I suppose he gets a bit of leeway atm with this apparent injury.

The way things are going, we'll have to win the cup just to qualify for the Europa League. EL has to be the priority from now on tbh, we aren't catching up in the league. I'd take a cup treble, it's been 15 years since the last one now.

Fair play to Leicester though, I really do hope they go all the way.
    Henderson can't be given leeway. To my understanding, he'll be playing with this injury for a long time/until further notice. Footballers do this, Stevie had painkillers for months at one stage, Jermaine Jenas played whilst injured for years. Henderson needs to be judged on what he's putting out.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing has really changed as a result of tonight. Losing away to the league leaders because of a wondergoal isn't the end of the world. The strengths and weaknesses of our injury-ravaged team are still the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Oh, and Henderson is clearly not fit. He just isn't. From him forward, to a man, we were very poor. Lucas had probably one of his worst games since 2007-08 - when he struggled adapting to the PL and England so overtly - while Milner and Firmino were anonymous, and Lallana summed up our lack of purpose and pace.
    The stuff about Lucas is BS, he's had plenty of absolutely dogshite games since 07-08. In fact he wasn't even bad in that season/time period, just our fans were ***** and disliked him oddly. He was MOTM away to Inter (unbeaten for 6 months) in a 1-0 around that time.

Regardless, he's had dozens of shite games since then. Nightmare away to Arsenal last season, eg.

ReputationRep:
    remember Moreno > Shaw 18 months ago
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    In other news according to an Italian paper we bid for icardi on deadline day. Rejected as a lack of time to get a replacement

No idea how reliable that is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah I made a similar post wrt midfield in another forum about how Pep isn't going to destroy the league straight away.

Thing is City push up anyway, they have fast defenders and regularly use the offside trap to catch people out. Kolarov I'd say could work with Pep, got a great ball on him, maybe he's not fast or versatile enough to play in the various systems Pep likes to use(i.e. being comfortable to move to CB/DM when needed) but hey. Also the issue that his key players(Aguero/Kompany/Silva) are injury prone too considering Pep's injury record at Bayern and Barcelona 11/12 is a cause for concern.
    Kolarov is fairly intelligent but I don't think he's suited to quick passing and he isn't versatile either.

I agree about the injury thing.

Realistically he would look to sort out the midfield first and foremost. I see Yaya Toure leaving or benched ruthlessly(about time). I think Fernandinho has a role in that team but Pep is most likely going to buy 2/3 midfielders in the summer and possibly a fullback to really implement his philosophy. It would take a long time to really make that tick seamlessly, which he had at Barcelona being the B team manager, Bayern had some similar principles to Barcelona due to the work of LVG and Heynckes afterwards which then made that transition quite easy for Pep.
    Yaya is gone. I don't think Fernandinho is clever enough for Pep, and he's too much of an all rounder. He can't dictate the game like Thiago and he can't defend like Busquets. He's a classic box to box midfielder imo, just shunted into a slightly more defensive role by City, which hasn't worked well (his best games come when he's allowed to move further forward, and his defensive liabilities were underlined by the need to sign a proper DM, in Fernando). I agree Pep will need to buy 2 midfielders minimum if he really wants to play his way, and are they going to settle perfectly? Probably not.

I believe City require a lot of change anyway, so Pep coming in initially should galvanise them in the short-medium term simply because City need a new midfield and have ageing full/wingbacks when they are an important part of Peps play. I'm more unsure about when Pep finds the best form of the team whether he can keep that balance.
    I'm not sure it will galvanise them short term. He's about as anal as managers get and that's doesn't mean a recipe for instant success, see van Gaal, even Klopp, Mourinho at Chelsea round 2. Usually it's dimwits like Sherwood and Redknapp that can fluke some quick success when following on from a more tactical manager. Working with Pep will give players a buzz but for some experienced players it won't be an easy ride.

I knew that Sterling x Pep would come to fruition one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    remember Moreno > Shaw 18 months ago
    Only person who said that was Luke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    Only person who said that was Luke
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    in all fairness, as bad as our back four looks, our individual players are better than united's.moreno > shawlovren and skrtel/sakho >= jones and rojomanquillo >= rafaeli don't have a problem with our individual players.it's just that when you put them together and stick them on the pitch they become retarded.
    Manquillo is not better than Rafael. He's been solid so far though and has been performing better but to suggest he's better than Rafael after 5 games is just plain bias.Rafael is a very good fullback and for the past 2 seasons has been having to cover for a non existant right wing attacking threat while rarely at full fitness, no wonder why he's been poor.
    (Original post by samir12)
    Rafeal is better than Manquillo, not seen enough of Jones and Rojo together to compare.

(Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Alberto Moreno would definitely come in as well, for shaw.

(Original post by AR_95)
    I disagree, but think Moreno has a much higher ceiling.
    - not exactly the same but even worse really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Why am I being quoted when I said Rafael is better than Manquillo?

ReputationRep:
    Why am I being quoted when I said Rafael is better than Manquillo?
    Because it was in response to Luke's post, if you were already replying to disagree with Manquillo > Rafael you'd have disagreed with Moreno > Shaw as well, if you did disagree with that

You'll probably say no you weren't now but it's pretty heavily implied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Because it was in response to Luke's post, if you were already replying to disagree with Manquillo > Rafael you'd have disagreed with Moreno > Shaw as well, if you did disagree with that

You'll probably say no you weren't now but it's pretty heavily implied
    Or maybe because I thought saying Manquillo>Rafael is completely retarded and felt it was too early to judge Moreno vs Shaw.

Plus Moreno>Shaw anyway since Shaw's a cripple.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe because I thought saying Manquillo>Rafael is completely retarded and felt it was too early to judge Moreno vs Shaw.

Plus Moreno>Shaw anyway since Shaw's a cripple.
    or because you were in the middle of your Liverpool fanboy stage at this point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Spoiler:
    Show

There's like 10 Luke quotes on the topic lol

As for Aqib's, smh. Worst of the lot. Dunno what logic was behind that

ReputationRep:
    Moreno has never been not brainless going forwards.
    Strong double negatives.

But yeah, give him his p45.
    We could probably get a decent amount for him to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Shaw was no better than Moreno until this season, the beauty of context

ReputationRep:
    Moreno has never been not brainless going forwards. His end product is dismal and to be honest even his ability to beat a man has been found out in England (was decent in Spain but we're just more physical here). The only thing he has, at either end of the pitch, is energy.

Ship him out.
    Though he has severe limitations, at only 23, I'd keep him for another season. I would however be trying to buy a new first choice LB.

I'd be sending Brad Smith on loan if we can't give him game time here. Shoud've been the perfect opportunity to make a claim now but so far Klopp hasn't trusted him.

With Moreno on the bench, we'd have a pace option for LB or LW if we ever needed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Strong double negatives.
    The double negative is expressed correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Though he has severe limitations, at only 23, I'd keep him for another season. I would however be trying to buy a new first choice LB.

I'd be sending Brad Smith on loan if we can't give him game time here. Shoud've been the perfect opportunity to make a claim now but so far Klopp hasn't trusted him.

With Moreno on the bench, we'd have a pace option for LB or LW if we ever needed it.
    May as well make Smith the bench option instead of Moreno, and cash in on Alberto for 10m. I'm not a huge fan of Smith and never have been. Moreno is still better than him at keeping possession in those mini-games that often happen out wide, and Smith's technical ability is probably not good enough to make it long term imo.

But Smith is at least not a liability at both ends of the pitch.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.