Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else feel like it's going to be impossible to meet people (romantically and just friends) with the little spare time that we have?

My social life has almost completely crashed and I have to keep turning down invites because I just don't have time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Does anyone else feel like it's going to be impossible to meet people (romantically and just friends) with the little spare time that we have?

My social life has almost completely crashed and I have to keep turning down invites because I just don't have time.
    Don't forget lots of people make friends through work. I have several good friends from the PGCE. I've also met several couples who met as teachers, and lots of people at the school I worked at last year met up for social activities out of school.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I had to deliver a full lesson without planning. The teacher took over as a result. It's fair to say that the whole situation slashed my confidence. Initially, I thought I had to deliver a starter but the teacher thought I had a lesson planned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    I had to deliver a full lesson without planning. The teacher took over as a result. It's fair to say that the whole situation slashed my confidence. Initially, I thought I had to deliver a starter but the teacher thought I had a lesson planned.
    It's a confusion- don't feel bad as it should have been clearer. This stuff happens sometimes. At least you got through it so know you can do it again when you need to!

How did the lesson go?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know you're not supposed to compare yourself to others, but it is hard on my course!

I was just wondering, for a first observation (doesn't officially count) - are we expected to be good/ outstanding at this stage?
    There are 5 of us on my placement and we all got requires improvement (I did get elements of good), but people on the same course on different placements are saying they got good and a couple even outstanding. Anyway now it is making me feel I am doing something wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Did my first lesson today. I was team teaching with a guy on my course it went well despite me only having less than two hours sleep the night before. Got my first solo one next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    I know you're not supposed to compare yourself to others, but it is hard on my course!

I was just wondering, for a first observation (doesn't officially count) - are we expected to be good/ outstanding at this stage?
    There are 5 of us on my placement and we all got requires improvement (I did get elements of good), but people on the same course on different placements are saying they got good and a couple even outstanding. Anyway now it is making me feel I am doing something wrong!
    I'd find it very hard to believe that people are getting outstanding at this point. Requires improvement is probably the most accurate for this stage for a trainee - of course you require improvement! That's the whole point! I'd be very doubtful listening to those who say they got outstanding. Sounds like you are doing perfectly fine xx

ReputationRep:
    So my y7s didnt go as badly as last week but my mentor says i need to keep a copy of my lesson plan on the table in front of me to refer to as apparently my lesson today started kff good, and she says if id stayed on lesson plan it would have gone well throughout but because i try and run off memory i skip something id planned to do and then the pupils dont have all of the knowledge id intended for them to have for the activity at hand. So my targets are to produce really detailed lesson plans to follow in my classes to make sure i cover everything i intend to do. Onwards I guess. Only 3 more lessons with this group now!
    Also, observation feedback wise, weve been told that at this point 3's are what we should be expecting so dont worry yourself, youre on track!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I had a question. So I know after the PGCE you have about 5 years in which to do your NQT in - however, what happens if you decide not to do it in 5 years then later come back to teaching - is your PGCE invalid/worthless? Even though you completed it, cause' you didn't do your NQT year???

ReputationRep:

I got 'acceptable' which would be required improvement on the new ofsted judgements. Other people seem to have got good but I've decided not to worry at this stage. We're only 2 months in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    It's a confusion- don't feel bad as it should have been clearer. This stuff happens sometimes. At least you got through it so know you can do it again when you need to!

How did the lesson go?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The lesson went fine thanks ,I'm glad it was a revision lesson. Nonetheless, I felt a bit shaken, I really hate that feeling of being unprepared for a lesson. I don't wanna go into a lesson and 'wing it' as It will feel like I'm giving the kids the short end of the stick, which is not fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Hi guys,

I had a question. So I know after the PGCE you have about 5 years in which to do your NQT in - however, what happens if you decide not to do it in 5 years then later come back to teaching - is your PGCE invalid/worthless? Even though you completed it, cause' you didn't do your NQT year???
    Hi,

there's no limit on when you can complete NQT induction.

The limit is on working as a supply teacher. If you start working as a supply teacher after your PGCE, you can work for 5 years but at the end of that you would have to stop it, or get a normal post in which you can complete induction.

This does not technically apply to academies and private schools, as they don't have to employ qualified staff or support NQT induction, but in reality, most do.

So no, your PGCE isn't invalid after 5 years, but I think you'd have a difficult job convincing a school you were the right candidate for the job if you had no recent experience. So supply would probably be the best option to gain some experience in the meantime.

ReputationRep:

This is the problem with using ofsted style judgements on a pgce- no one know what they really mean! I really wouldn't be concerned - it's likely that the teachers involved have just interpreted the judgements slightly differently. This shouldn't be an issue for official observations, and also the school would be telling you if there was any concern about your progress. If they are judging you as they would judge a fully qualified teacher then I think RI is absolutely fine and normal at this point of the course!

Xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ughhh, thats all i can say today. Im preparing for my university tutor to come and observe me in my y8 lesson on thursday so obviously my mentor wants to help me make sure its the most amazeballs lesson ever (which is lovely and i really appreciate it) but days like today are the times when i miss my old job when i could walk away from the office at the end of the day and apart from monitoring my emails incase a server keeled over or a back up failed i could do what i wanted and not care till the next morning!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm still only teaching three hours a week. Really need to push this week to take over my final two hours. I'm doing a lot of other stuff but I don't feel like I'm making enough progress because I'm only currently teaching key stage 3 and I only have three weeks remaining.

I'm doing a lot of form stuff and working as a second teacher but I'm not *actually* teaching and it's starting to stress me out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I'm still only teaching three hours a week. Really need to push this week to take over my final two hours. I'm doing a lot of other stuff but I don't feel like I'm making enough progress because I'm only currently teaching key stage 3 and I only have three weeks remaining.

I'm doing a lot of form stuff and working as a second teacher but I'm not *actually* teaching and it's starting to stress me out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But remember even when your second teaching your takin stuff in, your seeing how someone else teaches, and i imagine your also working on behaviour management and one to one pupil support. These are all really important key skills to learn!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    But remember even when your second teaching your takin stuff in, your seeing how someone else teaches, and i imagine your also working on behaviour management and one to one pupil support. These are all really important key skills to learn!
    Hmm. I guess. I just didn't realise that my time is almost up at the school and I haven't achieved as much as I wanted to achieve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Hmm. I guess. I just didn't realise that my time is almost up at the school and I haven't achieved as much as I wanted to achieve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know what you mean, i cant believe we only have 3 weeks left!
    Im dreading what my final feedback on this placement is going to be. I never seem to get my lower year lessons right and im terrified of my mentor observing me as shes always quite critical on the casual observations so god knows how itll be on a formal one!

ReputationRep:

We basically got told that if we got good or outstanding at this stage, they'd be concerned that our mentors didn't know what they were doing.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reassuring replies everyone . It is my last week of my first placement and we are having a meeting tomorrow with our tutor with an end of placement report, so I think that will give me better feedback! xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.