Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thurin)
    I do love the feeling of parting the tourist crowds, and striding up the walkway, and being enveloped by its majestic shadow
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    I love studying in the radcliffe camera
    Me too! It's made so much better by the fact that the history books are right at the top of the rad cam, I'm sure working somewhere like that actually automatically makes you smarter/more productive :love:

I don't think I'm EVER going to get my head around all the tourists though. Coming out of the history faculty library and having to squeeze my way past crowds of them really is bizarre.
    I like overhearing conversations though The other day I heard lots of tourists complaining about not being allowed in the rad cam. Erm, yeah, that's because it's a LIBRARY. People are WORKING in there. It's not some sort of tourist attraction/weird university theme park thing

/rant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousebudden)
    Sorry for the shallow question, but from what you have seen what is nightlife like in Oxford?
    Well.........

You're not going to get your London/other big city clubs.

What you will get is basically the same music every night, but with all the people you know!!

I much prefer Oxford student nightlife, to when I've been out in London with my friends at LSE/UCL etc.

Obviously you can find better nightlife/music if you so wish - there are drum and bass nights, dubstep and so on. But the main nights out are just your generic club music.

Nights out are always packed - except in exam time - most clubs will reach capacity... which makes for a sticky night and long queues, but good atmosphere.

Tuesday-Friday are the best nights out. Saturday is pretty rubbish.

You can always venture out to a Brookes night - we did that last week, it was ummm 'eye-opening'....

Anyway the point is, Oxford is not all work work work. There will always be people going out, and you'll find like what nights you can do in relation to work. Or just learn to arrange your work around your favourite night out (Park End for me - gotta love the cheese floor!)

ReputationRep:
    I love studying in the radcliffe camera
    It is definitely one of my favourite perks of being here. The fact that the ceilings are good to look at when you're procrastinating doesn't hurt either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anti-Hero)
    In terms of clubs, it's not great.
    Pub and bar scene is fantastic, though.
    Which bars have you liked so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppyxx)
    Well.........

You're not going to get your London/other big city clubs.

What you will get is basically the same music every night, but with all the people you know!!

I much prefer Oxford student nightlife, to when I've been out in London with my friends at LSE/UCL etc.

Obviously you can find better nightlife/music if you so wish - there are drum and bass nights, dubstep and so on. But the main nights out are just your generic club music.

Nights out are always packed - except in exam time - most clubs will reach capacity... which makes for a sticky night and long queues, but good atmosphere.

Tuesday-Friday are the best nights out. Saturday is pretty rubbish.

You can always venture out to a Brookes night - we did that last week, it was ummm 'eye-opening'....

Anyway the point is, Oxford is not all work work work. There will always be people going out, and you'll find like what nights you can do in relation to work. Or just learn to arrange your work around your favourite night out (Park End for me - gotta love the cheese floor!)
    Thanks for the reply really helpful.

Out of interest how much interaction do Brookes students have with Oxford students?

ReputationRep:
    apparently, some of them have been coming up to oxford students and telling them to go to the library...
    it's a 10 minute bus ride into the centre from brookes, so you'll run into them at bars and clubs. also, they're eligible to join the union. other than that, the 10 minute bus ride is enough to separate them.... probably depends on the college, mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)
    I don't think I'm EVER going to get my head around all the tourists though. Coming out of the history faculty library and having to squeeze my way past crowds of them really is bizarre.
    I like overhearing conversations though The other day I heard lots of tourists complaining about not being allowed in the rad cam. Erm, yeah, that's because it's a LIBRARY. People are WORKING in there. It's not some sort of tourist attraction/weird university theme park thing

/rant.
    Is the history faculty library the side bit on Hertford College But yeah my room is nearly directly under the bridge round the corner so I always get the huge groups doing the whole picture thing

ReputationRep:

Out of interest how much interaction do Brookes students have with Oxford students?
    I've met hardly any Brookes people on nights out and stuff. I have two mates there and I've never seen them.

The only person I've met from Brookes is a guy from the cycling club.

ReputationRep:

I haven't met any yet! Maybe people who go clubbing a lot are more likely to.

ReputationRep:
    Is the history faculty library the side bit on Hertford College But yeah my room is nearly directly under the bridge round the corner so I always get the huge groups doing the whole picture thing
    Haha, yeah it is. So jealous of the fact Hertfordians (is that even the word?) can just roll out of bed and end up in the library...fancy swapping? Keble's in pretty prime physics territory

Out of pure chance, do you happen to know...

2 guys doing history called Rhys and Finn (I met them on a Summer School last year)
    A guy doing E&M called Nick (he went to my school )

ReputationRep:
    Haha, yeah it is. So jealous of the fact Hertfordians (is that even the word?) can just roll out of bed and end up in the library...fancy swapping? Keble's in pretty prime physics territory
    The other week I was in my room and needed a book from the philosophy library. Five minutes later I was back in my room with the book.

ReputationRep:
    Going to the English Faculty library is a 40-minute round trip walking (hence why I never go)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thurin)
    Going to the English Faculty library is a 40-minute round trip walking (hence why I never go)
    Invest in a bicycle. It's one of the single most useful things you can have in a place like Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)
    Invest in a bicycle. It's one of the single most useful things you can have in a place like Oxford.
    Heh, I have one, but it has a puncture which I can't be bothered to fix, so I have to pump it up every time I have to use it I only use it when I have to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCarmady)
    how about a TSR meet-up at some point? not during fresher's, that's packed, and everyone will be settling in academically in the first couple of weeks, but it'd be a good opportunity to meet more people from other colleges for those not heavily into societies...
    now that we're 3 weeks in, time to bring this up again. how about wednesday week 5 (just to make it distant enough)? just go to a pub somewhere central...

ReputationRep:
    now that we're 3 weeks in, time to bring this up again. how about wednesday week 5 (just to make it distant enough)? just go to a pub somewhere central...
    I'm no good at committing to things any distance in advance, but if you keep mentioning it here I'd probably show up.

ReputationRep:
    The awkward moment when you have tutorials every Wednesday from 8:30-10:30 pm. LIFE :mad:

ReputationRep:
    The awkward moment when you have tutorials every Wednesday from 8:30-10:30 pm. LIFE :mad:
    Ooh, not good. One of our tutors has a pair at 8am, happily that pair does not include me. And now we're past week 2 I have no 10am lectures, woo. Having said that, I now have no Tuesday evenings for the whole year, which is a bit of a pain.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday evenings aren't good for me either. Nor are Sundays or Mondays. I'd be up for going if it's a different day, though
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    QFA
    You should come with me!

ReputationRep:
    How are thursday evenings, everyone?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.