Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Not currently, agreed. He could be in the future, but I think people are being a bit harsh on Chamakh: he was bought as backup, deputized well when asked to, and has since struggled to find both fitness and form in his first season in the Premiership. I feel he's been a useful acquisition.
    Exactly. ****ing sense.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal is kind of ruining Chamakh.... he is looking more to conserve possession on the ground rather than taking on his man (perfectly acceptable if we are not searching for goals)....but he would be better off being told just to kick the ball on sight... one of them has to go in... even RVP balloons a few before scoring lol
    Otherwise he is better off with crossing tactics when we are in search of a goal...

He is a decent striker... but not anything special

ReputationRep:
    I hear what you guys are saying but I just think JET has everything in his locker to be a top striker and every time he's come on I've been impressed. I just wish he was given more of a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonfigo)
    Arsenal is kind of ruining Chamakh.... he is looking more to conserve possession on the ground rather than taking on his man (perfectly acceptable if we are not searching for goals)....but he would be better off being told just to kick the ball on sight... one of them has to go in... even RVP balloons a few before scoring lol
    Otherwise he is better off with crossing tactics when we are in search of a goal...
    I don't know what Arsena's being telling him but I am tired of seeing Chamakh with his back to goal.
    It's not even so much his lack of form, trying to do things which aren't working. It's the fact that he is playing in a manner that doesn't allow him to be effective to our team even if he was playing well

Like you said he should just shoot ffs

(Original post by antonfigo)

He is a decent striker... but not anything special
      I disagree, Chamakh was never a prolific goalscorer - he was more of a support striker even when he joined Arsenal. I think that the mistake was probably to persist playing him as a lone striker - where, I reiterate, he did very well to begin with - but I don't think the quality of his overall game has gone down. Yes, it would be nice if he could score more goals, but I don't think that's why we bought him.

(Original post by Complex Simplicity)
      I hear what you guys are saying but I just think JET has everything in his locker to be a top striker and every time he's come on I've been impressed. I just wish he was given more of a chance.
      Going out on loan is the best thing that could have happened to him, tbh - he is being given a chance. :p:

ReputationRep:
      The most annoying thing is how Bendtner and Chamakh try and play like Van Persie. Rather than being target men they drop back so much and try and link the play, when all it does more than anything is slow down our play as their control and passing isn't that good and leave us with few options in the box when they should be there.

ReputationRep:
      Who scored in yesterday's game against orient?

ReputationRep:
      Rosicky.

ReputationRep:
      Overreacting a lot here. Bendtner and Chamakh are proper centre forwards. They rely on service. They got none yesterday. When Chamakh was playing with Fabregas, Nasri etc. at the start of the season, he was doing well. That's not a coincidence. When he has rely on Denilson and the rest of the second string line-up, it's a massive drop in quality.

JET seems to have a lot of talent but not sure he has the mentality and drive of Wilshere to want to 'make it'. When Wilshere went out on loan to Bolton, he was impressing every game. You can tell a lot by what the 'loan' manager says. Coyle was desperate to keep Wilshere. Similarly, Ramsey might not be carrying Cardiff but Dave Jones wants to extend his spell. It's a big test for Vela in that respect -- he's another one that obviously has a lot of talent but needed to go out of his comfort zone and it's good that he has done that. Cutting a long story short, I think it's too early to tell if JET has got the right attitude to make a success.

ReputationRep:
      Bendtner and Chamakh are very good squad players. No- one's saying they're world class (well Bendtner is...). Chamakh carried us in terms of goals for a good third of the season, without him our season would have been absolutely terrible. Bendtner is still only 22 and he's inconsistent but you can't blame him, he doesn't get many games and since we only really play 1 out and out striker it's hard for them since neither of these two really fit that style of play.

ReputationRep:
      So what did everyone think about Miquel?

(Original post by Overmars)
        Overreacting a lot here. Bendtner and Chamakh are proper centre forwards.
        I'd agree that Bendtner is (which is why I'm frustrated that he's being played on the wing) but I definitely see Chamakh as more of a support striker. He links play very well, and is good in the air; if he played alongside a 'proper' centre forward (like Bendtner) or a striker (like RVP), I think he'd do quite well.

Arshavin
        Bendtner Chamakh

is what our reserve attack ought to look like imo.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by zxh800)
        So what did everyone think about Miquel?
        Seemed quite good. Showed some good strength on a few occasions and looked reasonably comfortable. He's only 18 and another one that could probably use a loan spell. We're not the best club for a central defender to learn his trade -- if any Championship level teams are willing to take him for next season, that would be great.

With Vermaelen coming back in a couple of weeks, I don't think we'll see any more of Miquel this season.

ReputationRep:
        I'd agree that Bendtner is (which is why I'm frustrated that he's being played on the wing) but I definitely see Chamakh as more of a support striker. He links play very well, and is good in the air; if he played alongside a 'proper' centre forward (like Bendtner) or a striker (like RVP), I think he'd do quite well.

Arshavin
        Bendtner Chamakh

is what our reserve attack ought to look like imo.
        But then, as was the case yesterday, we play far too narrow. Even with Gibbs and Sagna bombing up the wings to provide options they were ignored more often than not as they tried to thread play through the middle too much, something made difficult by the lack of understanding between the players and even the quality of the pitch.
        If we play two strikers then we should go back to a 4-4-2 really to accommodate two proper strikers rather than try and crowbar both in by using one as a winger.

ReputationRep:
        Wenger puts too much faith in bendter,chamakh needs to get back on good form

Fingers crossed RvP doesnt get injured again

ReputationRep:
        I dont know how anyone can remotely suggest that JET is anywhere on the level of Chamakh. One is a proven international striker with champions league and top level pedigree. The other does not. Potential yes, but proven pedigree no.

And I have to agree with people who are saying that Chamakh is going to be useful later in the season. The lad has a HUGE part to play, we have got so many games coming up that playing Van Persie in all of them would be a huge risk. I reckon with something resembling a first team behind him, Chamakh could do a really useful job against a number of PL teams, as shown by his early season form!

(Original post by voodoomagic)
          But then, as was the case yesterday, we play far too narrow. Even with Gibbs and Sagna bombing up the wings to provide options they were ignored more often than not as they tried to thread play through the middle too much, something made difficult by the lack of understanding between the players and even the quality of the pitch.
          If we play two strikers then we should go back to a 4-4-2 really to accommodate two proper strikers rather than try and crowbar both in by using one as a winger.
          Good point. I was going to say our full-backs compensate for the lack of wingers, but we would probably do better with actual wide players.

Denilson
          Rosicky------------------------------Diaby
          Arshavin
          Bendtner Chamakh

could possibly work. Or the 4-4-2:

Denilson Diaby
          Rosicky-------------------------------Arshavin
          Bendtner Chamakh

ReputationRep:
          Good point. I was going to say our full-backs compensate for the lack of wingers, but we would probably do better with actual wide players.

Denilson
          Rosicky------------------------------Diaby
          Arshavin
          Bendtner Chamakh

could possibly work. Or the 4-4-2:

Denilson Diaby
          Rosicky-------------------------------Arshavin
          Bendtner Chamakh
          I like the 4-4-2 but would need to tell Diaby to get forward and create.

ReputationRep:
          The problem with having 2 natural wingers and 2 central strikers is that it leaves you desperately short in the middle. The fact that we rely on a possession based game also means that it hinders us moreso than teams such as Wolves etc.

Thats why Arsene tends to use 'inverted' wingers a la Pires, Nasri Ljunberg etc. They can beat a man on the outside and deliver a decent ball when needed, but they can also join the attack in the middle.

If we do play with 2 chalk on your boot wingers I reckon it'll hinder us rather than help us.

ReputationRep:
          Well, all things considered -- that second string line-up ain't winning **** no matter what the formation. Having to play a replay against Orient isn't a problem because the second string will play again and they'll win but after that, because we're away at Old Trafford, we'll have to put a strong team out. At Wembley, I think we'll see a mixture of first-team and squaddies -- players like Arshavin, Gibbs, Rosicky, Eboue might get a start. Obviously every league game and every CL game (if we go further) will need our best available line-up. Wenger might be concerned with the team having to play every 3/4 days but I think if any squad can cope with it, we can. If you want to compete in all competitions, you're obviously going to face that problem. The players just have to man-up and deal with it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.