Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    So Higuain is going to be our striker then, as predicted by Ornstein. I wonder who he DM and AM will be.

If Juve are going for Tevez will they be able to afford Jovetic as well?
    Just because Juve are are Italy's top team people seem to think they have a bottom less pit of cash (I don't mean you). They went to Real offering 5 instalments over 5 years for a fee below 30m for Higuain, They were laughed out of Madrid. The thought is just too hilarious:rofl:

Offering their own players to Fiorentina for Jovetic. If his price stays at 30m he wont go there. Fiorentina will be begging arsenal for straight cash upfront

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Just because Juve are are Italy's top team people seem to think they have a bottom less pit of cash (I don't mean you). They went to Real offering 5 instalments over 5 years for a fee below 30m for Higuain, They were laughed out of Madrid. The thought is just too hilarious:rofl:

Offering their own players to Fiorentina for Jovetic. If his price stays at 30m he wont go there. Fiorentina will be begging arsenal for straight cash upfront
    :rofl: 5 installments over 5 years fml. That's bad. Juve are funny guys man.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Llorente going to Juve anyway?

£22 million for Higuain isn't a bad deal, surprised Arsenal actually went through with it.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Higuain deal is gonna happen.

Are we still gonna try get Jovetic or did we only want one of them?

It'd be a tough call if we had a choice between the two. I'd probably be leaning towards Jovetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    He's a good finisher, but I've seen him miss a few sitters in matches, maybe just a few isolated incidents or the type that anyone can miss from time to time but still bad none the less, when you see the finishing of the likes of ronaldo and messi who are ruthless when in front of goal one on one.
    I still think it's a bizarre thing to claim given his chance conversion in 2011-12 was a downright dirty 43% and in 2012-13 it was 32%. The premier league average for strikers is 16%.

ReputationRep:
    Llorente was a free transfer, I heard Juve were pushing for the CL their front line is the weakness in the CL. Why are you surprised Arsenal done the deal ?
    Just surprised they spend that much money, wasn't the previous club record like £16 million>

ReputationRep:
    Now cazorla has options with his passes no only walcott

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Not this season. Didn't higuain start vs dortmund, start vs united in the second leg and in other big games. In comparison to the previous season where benzema started all the big games, I think higuain played on the wing vs barca one time e.g.
    Although while higuain is quality the guy can miss sitters or just be absolutely anonymous for 90mins, might as well buy mario gomez.
    Not really, JM seemed to change it around more because compared to11-12 they were both crap.

And i doubt Madrid would sell with no manager tbh. So for me its BS until someone reliable like BBC or SS picks it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Transfers are organised by the President and the Director of football at Real. Pellegrini wasn't confirmed as manger at City yet 2 expensive players were signed, a director of football was responsible for this. The same was done at Chelsea with Schurrle, that signing was organised by their director of football.

Higuan already released a statement he was going to leave Real so there's not much a new manager could do.

PS I think my post are multiplying again, sorry if you get quoted loads I will deleted any duplicates
    I know what a DoF is.

And you cant take notice of transfer trends when it comes to Chelsea and City and apply them to other clubs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If we get Higuain, then 22m for a player who's scored 100 BBVA goals in 5 years is unbelievable value. Notice that his CL record is very poor though which is worrying. If we get Fellaini as well then I think we can definitely match any team in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Im not sure what you consider a strong squad. If you mean the points tally at the end of the season then that is a very narrow-minded approach to assessing a squad. I do believe that our squad is not as vastly inferior to the teams above us as you suggest. We had 3 first team players who had to hit the ground running from the first game last season and there were a lot of injuries to key players like Wilshere and so I do not feel that the points at the end of last season completely reflected our team. It only showed how we performed which is fair enough. Also I'm not saying that the other teams will sit around during the transfer window, just feel that its not going to be as easy to bring in players as it was in the last few seasons.

Fernandinho is a squad player I feel and I doubt he would play regularly for City. Schurrle, while a good player is still young and unproven and I don't believe he would actually be a regular feature for the team. The other two are good signings but not the signings you come to expect from Chelsea and City.
    By squad strength I'm talking about several factors; ability of players, quality depth, how well the team plays at their best, results against top opposition (e.g. top 6/7), how likely players are to improve, etc. I didn't say Arsenal were vastly inferior at all (nor do I agree with that), but I do think the teams I mentioned are stronger, and Arsenal's fairly poor results against the top 6 support this somewhat. I agree with you that Arsenal's points tally doesn't reflect the team but the same could be said about Chelsea (fixture congestion and lack of squad depth) and City (who just flopped). I sort of agree it will be harder to bring in players, given the new TV money for PL teams and the rise of Monaco, but I don't really see your point here, this affects Arsenal too, surely City and Chelsea are better equipped to deal with this due to their abilities to just throw money around?

I can't say I know much about Fernandinho, although £30m is a lot to pay for a squad player...although then again it is City . Schurrle scored 11 Bundesliga goals and made 8 appearances for the German national team this season so I think "unproven" is a little unfair. He gives Chelsea some much needed quality depth and is a viable alternative on the wing. Chelsea look to have an attacking midfield choice of Hazard/Mata/Oscar/Moses/KDB/Schurrle next season which is quality. My point is that although Fernandinho and Schurrle aren't necessarily first team signings, they're still improvements which bolster City and Chelsea's respective title bids.

Of course it will, I just feel that Arsenal are probably better equipped to deal with the financial powerhouses in Europe, simply because they have dealt with it effectively in the last 5-6 years.
    The same could be said about Chelsea? If not more so due to their success in Europe. Although I suppose both Chelsea and City are considered "financial powerhouses".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)

The same could be said about Chelsea? If not more so due to their success in Europe. Although I suppose both Chelsea and City are considered "financial powerhouses".
    The way Chelsea and City have dealt with competition is through increasing their squad size (literally)- they buy players and loan them out. They also use their financial resources to compete for players in terms of wages which clubs like Arsenal are unable to pay. When we have similar clubs emerging in the continent like Monaco, bidding wars will become even more intense and City and Chelsea won't necessarily win this time around. Arsenal have a different system so don't have to worry about Monaco to the same extent. Undoubtedly it would affect Arsenal but Wenger has always found a way out. For example, last season he bought Cazorla (which was the buy of the season for me) and Monreal from Malaga at decent price as they were struggling financially. The last few seasons he's made sure he brings in youth players more e.g. Gibbs and Wilshere.

ReputationRep:
    The way Chelsea and City have dealt with competition is through increasing their squad size (literally)- they buy players and loan them out. They also use their financial resources to compete for players in terms of wages which clubs like Arsenal are unable to pay. When we have similar clubs emerging in the continent like Monaco, bidding wars will become even more intense and City and Chelsea won't necessarily win this time around. Arsenal have a different system so don't have to worry about Monaco to the same extent. Undoubtedly it would affect Arsenal but Wenger has always found a way out. For example, last season he bought Cazorla (which was the buy of the season for me) and Monreal from Malaga at decent price as they were struggling financially. The last few seasons he's made sure he brings in youth players more e.g. Gibbs and Wilshere.
    Ah I misinterpreted what you meant, yeah I agree with you. Chelsea are starting to put more focus on youth prospects now though, which is good. Loaning players out isn't always a bad thing I don't think, look at Lukaku for example.

Agree with you on Cazorla being buy of the season too, wasn't he like £12m? Find it quite funny how Mata was "the poor man's Silva" and Cazorla was "the poor man's Mata/Silva" and look at them now

ReputationRep:
    Will be very excited if the Higuain deal is confirmed. He's a great player, I heard Wenger was chasing him when he was at River Plate before Madrid got him.

I can't be the only person that doesn't want Fellaini at Arsenal? If you look at his stats for passing, tackling, and number of times dispossessed, they aren't good enough for Arsenal. Both Arteta and Ramsey are better at Fellaini with respect to those things, and they are both adapted to our style. Ramsey is only going to get better next season I reckon too. Sure Fellaini's a good player but don't think he suits us, and modern football doesn't make it a necessity to have a Vieira-type player, Bayern did more than fine without a big DM last season.

I hope we clear out some more of the first players. Gervinho's been linked to Marseille, which would be good for both parties I reckon. Also wouldn't mind too much to see the back of Diaby as well. He only gets fit at the end of the transfer window to stop us signing a replacement! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    If we get Higuain, then 22m for a player who's scored 100 BBVA goals in 5 years is unbelievable value. Notice that his CL record is very poor though which is worrying. If we get Fellaini as well then I think we can definitely match any team in the country.
    Its not really unbelievable value at all. It would be pretty much the going rate tbh. And you would need to strengthen even further past Higuain+Felliani to match Chelsea/City/United. Theyre a bit ahead of you tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was on the bbc sport football transfers website - read gonzalo and got really excited......

Turned out to be Gonzalo Jara moving from West Brom to Nottingham Forest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Its not really unbelievable value at all. It would be pretty much the going rate tbh. And you would need to strengthen even further past Higuain+Felliani to match Chelsea/City/United. Theyre a bit ahead of you tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well Higuain has a better scoring record than Aguero did, albeit at a better club, and he cost 38m. Then consider the likes of Cavani going for 50m, and Higuain is not very far from his level imo. Just looking around Europe, its hard to think of a better striker you could get for 22m.

ReputationRep:
    If we get Higuain then IMO another AM is a must.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Well Higuain has a better scoring record than Aguero did, albeit at a better club, and he cost 38m. Then consider the likes of Cavani going for 50m, and Higuain is not very far from his level imo. Just looking around Europe, its hard to think of a better striker you could get for 22m.
    Aguero was younger so they were paying more for potential, plus you have to take into account it was City, so theyre not going to bother over 4 or 5m.

And Higuain is a level below Cavani, Falcao etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would have liked that we got Balotelli for 22 mil in the january transfer window although its likely that we would have to pay more than what milan did

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.