Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas.)
    To all you people who are doing Maths, do you get to choose which modules you do? Or do you get told what to do? Because I'll be honest, I'm so not up for Mechanics... Whereas Decision looks pretty cool.

We have to do decision in the first year :/ dont know even know what to expect!

ReputationRep:
    To all you people who are doing Maths, do you get to choose which modules you do? Or do you get told what to do? Because I'll be honest, I'm so not up for Mechanics... Whereas Decision looks pretty cool.
    We get the choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    I smell nothing
    maybe its just NW London then, I feel sick whenever I go outside and a lot of my friends who live like 30 minutes away from me have the same smell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannyboy1236)
    4 hours between lessons.....

And I can't leave school.....any advice?
    Personally, I'd revise and make notes into revision cards (or whatever resources you use for revising), but I'm also one of the keenest people I know Play cards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahiscool)
    maybe its just NW London then, I feel sick whenever I go outside and a lot of my friends who live like 30 minutes away from me have the same smell
    Wind probably blew the smell of a load of manure in your direction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    I agree with that it just seemed like a different subject and it didn't seem like maths :/ it was just simple algorithms and the two languages Sudo english and the other one :lol:
    Algorithms don't sound friendly-aren't they a method of simplifying a problem of something but you are probably talking about Computer Algorithms which I know nothing about and languages in Maths:eek:My Maths teacher said that Maths was a language with all the symbols but languages like Sudo English:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Algorithms don't sound friendly-aren't they a method of simplifying a problem of something but you are probably talking about Computer Algorithms which I know nothing about and languages in Maths:eek:My Maths teacher said that Maths was a language with all the symbols but languages like Sudo English:confused:
    On an induction day in July I learnt about Dijkstra's algorithm. It's really not hard you just got to follow a set of rules to solve a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I have been told that I'm doing C1,C2,S1,C3,C4,D1 for Maths and FP1,M1,M2,FP2,FP3 and M3 for Further Maths.I am being taught Core 1 and Mechanics 1 up until chirstmas and the other 4 modules after-I'm a little bit annoyed the Further Maths teacher isn't jumping straight into Complex Numbers because I love them.

Out of the applied modules Mechanics looks the best followed by Statistics then followed by Decision-Mechanics will probably be the best modules for me because I'm doing Physics AS so there will be some crossover between Physics and Mechanics Modules.

How can you think Decision looks cool?-most of it doesn't even look like Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    On an induction day in July I learnt about Dijkstra's algorithm. It's really not hard you just got to follow a set of rules to solve a problem.
    It looks so complicated and it looks like a computer programming map-Is it a very logical topic?and what about the languages?

ReputationRep:
    wish i could do M1 instead of S1 for maths because mechanics will help with the mech phy module ://////

ReputationRep:
    It looks so complicated and it looks like a computer programming map-Is it a very logical topic?and what about the languages?
    I only did a small amount as it was a short session and yeah it's what a computer would do in milliseconds but they feel the need to make us do it. It was very logical but not much Mathematical ability required, relatively speaking. It's one of those things that you either get or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pathosL)
    wish i could do M1 instead of S1 for maths because mechanics will help with the mech phy module ://////
    Can't you ask to switch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    I only did a small amount as it was a short session and yeah it's what a computer would do in milliseconds but they feel the need to make us do it. It was very logical but not much Mathematical ability required, relatively speaking. It's one of those things that you either get or you don't.
    It looks like only about one question is proper Maths on Edexcel for the Unit and it even asks What is valency?(2 marks)-that seems so unmathematical to me.There was a decent bit of Statistics at GCSE which wasn't Maths and I didn't do too well in the non-maths parts (Data Sheet etc) and I imagine this is the same at A-Level but it wasn't too bad but the majority of Decision seems to be about Computers.You have forgot to answer the question about languages in the unit like Sudo English?

ReputationRep:
    It looks like only about one question is proper Maths on Edexcel for the Unit and it even asks What is valency?(2 marks)-that seems so unmathematical to me.There was a decent bit of Statistics at GCSE which wasn't Maths and I didn't do too well in the non-maths parts (Data Sheet etc) and I imagine this is the same at A-Level but it wasn't too bad but the majority of Decision seems to be about Computers.You have forgot to answer the question about languages in the unit like Sudo English?
    I don't know, I've only had 1 lesson. I start properly on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieB1997)
    I don't get to choose because I'm doing Further, but if I wasn't I could've chosen either M1&2 or S1&2 alongside C1-4. Mechanics looks good! I'm excited to start it, having looked at a past paper some of it is stuff I learnt at GCSE Physics whereas Decision is about algorithms and other weird stuff
    I would so much rather do that than more Physics.

ReputationRep:
    I have been told that I'm doing C1,C2,S1,C3,C4,D1 for Maths and FP1,M1,M2,FP2,FP3 and M3 for Further Maths.I am being taught Core 1 and Mechanics 1 up until chirstmas and the other 4 modules after-I'm a little bit annoyed the Further Maths teacher isn't jumping straight into Complex Numbers because I love them.

Out of the applied modules Mechanics looks the best followed by Statistics then followed by Decision-Mechanics will probably be the best modules for me because I'm doing Physics AS so there will be some crossover between Physics and Mechanics Modules.

How can you think Decision looks cool?-most of it doesn't even look like Maths.
    I didn't mean that it actually looks cool, that's just how I speak.. I say mate, bro, cool, sick, rad etc. wayyyyyy too much haha. I'd rather do that than more Physics.

Statistics looks alright I guess. I wouldn't mind doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiecat)
    Can't you ask to switch?
    there are 2 classes, s1 and d1, because the teachers teach those best

ReputationRep:
    Statistics is the devil on Earth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pathosL)
    there are 2 classes, s1 and d1, because the teachers teach those best
    Oh, that sucks - what do you want to do in uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiecat)
    Oh, that sucks - what do you want to do in uni?
    chemical engineering

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.