Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post a picture of yourself *Be nice, don't want to get this closed* Watch

ReputationRep:
    Time to continue lurking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mubariz)
    No offence but if you also think somebody is unattractive then you can say that too.

I'm sick of people thinking that you can't express your opinion and can only say positive things

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People should of course be able to express their opinions but there seems to be a lot of anger around here directed towards "knocking girls down a peg or two". There's a huge difference between expressing a negative opinion and attacking someone.
    "No offence" should be entirely the point.

ReputationRep:
    10/10 legit picture of me:

Yes I'm a girl- majority of people assume I'm a boy on here lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gorwell)
    10/10 legit picture of me:

Yes I'm a girl- majority of people assume I'm a boy on here lmao
    peng

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldtippedarrows)
    peng
    thx bbs xx

ReputationRep:
    No offence but if you also think somebody is unattractive then you can say that too.

I'm sick of people thinking that you can't express your opinion and can only say positive things

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I get what you mean about freedom of opinion but if you don't think someones attractive and feel the urge to express this, then express it to them privately if you're so hell bent. Some of the negative stuff people have been getting on this thread seems to have a darker undertone so as to humiliate them and bring their flaws forward. That is not acceptable at all and how you could condone this is beyond us.

ReputationRep:
    I get what you mean about freedom of opinion but if you don't think someones attractive and feel the urge to express this, then express it to them privately if you're so hell bent. Some of the negative stuff people have been getting on this thread seems to have a darker undertone so as to humiliate them and bring their flaws forward. That is not acceptable at all and how you could condone this is beyond us.
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99DeadBaboons)
    This
    Thanks - thought I'd follow after your example

ReputationRep:
    People should of course be able to express their opinions but there seems to be a lot of anger around here directed towards "knocking girls down a peg or two". There's a huge difference between expressing a negative opinion and attacking someone.
    "No offence" should be entirely the point.
    I agree with both of you, a lot of people say it with spite. But I don't condone this, I don't condone attacking somebody but if you have a negative opinion, you are as free to express it as you are a positive one.

Not to hurt anybody, just for example, if I didn't think somebody was attractive I could just say, well, you aren't my type. But you have so many white knights here that would kill you for even mentioning a small imperfection in somebody.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with both of you, a lot of people say it with spite. But I don't condone this, I don't condone attacking somebody but if you have a negative opinion, you are as free to express it as you are a positive one.

Not to hurt anybody, just for example, if I didn't think somebody was attractive I could just say, well, you aren't my type. But you have so many white knights here that would kill you for even mentioning a small imperfection in somebody.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Honesty should be expressed of course it should. But going about degrading people on public platforms such as threads is not the way forward. Is it even worth your time?

ReputationRep:
    Honesty should be expressed of course it should. But going about degrading people on public platforms such as threads is not the way forward. Is it even worth your time?
    It isn't worth my time but I feel it is important to acknowledge it's not wrong to say somebody isn't pretty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It isn't worth my time but I feel it is important to acknowledge it's not wrong to say somebody isn't pretty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As long as you go about it in the right way and not humiliate any user in front of other users then that's fine :rolleyes:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    As long as you go about it in the right way and not humiliate any user in front of other users then that's fine :rolleyes:
    Unless it's me, humiliate me as much as you want - I don't really care

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That may be the case, but that certainly wasn't what I was talking about. For example, someone told me that they didn't like the length of my hair and that I should shave and probably go to the gym and I didn't regard any of it as insulting. I accept that my hair an facial hair aren't to everyone's liking and people have been telling me that I could bulk up a little all my life. I didn't take these things as insults, just honesty.

It's when people go on rants about women being stuck up or just speak about someone else's appearance with anger or spite. That's not fair and that's not called for. It's probably not even really honest because if they're attacking someone's appearance so passionately, there's probably a lot of jealousy prompting their words. People should be honest. They shouldn't be d*cks.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    That may be the case, but that certainly wasn't what I was talking about. For example, someone told me that they didn't like the length of my hair and that I should shave and probably go to the gym and I didn't regard any of it as insulting. I accept that my hair an facial hair aren't to everyone's liking and people have been telling me that I could bulk up a little all my life. I didn't take these things as insults, just honesty.

It's when people go on rants about women being stuck up or just speak about someone else's appearance with anger or spite. That's not fair and that's not called for. It's probably not even really honest because if they're attacking someone's appearance so passionately, there's probably a lot of jealousy prompting their words. People should be honest. They shouldn't be d*cks.
    Couldn't have put it better myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if you have a negative opinion, you are as free to express it as you are a positive one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Unless it's me, humiliate me as much as you want - I don't really care

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mubariz you have a willing volunteer :rolleyes:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Mubariz you have a willing volunteer :rolleyes:
    Hehehe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Expressing it to them privately can be seen as cyber bullying.

If I PMed you and said you were ugly it would be worse than me saying it out in the open.
    If I PMed you and said I liked you etc and do that all the time it would be seen as harrassment.

Anyway I'm not bothered if somebody said I was ugly or not, although any criticism I receive should be constructive.

ReputationRep:
    We all arguing again?

FFS, who cares if someone says something nasty to you on the Internet, it's 2014, I thought we'd know by now to expect this kinda thing

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.