Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap yaaah)
    Well that seems a bit of a strange way to do it.
    Personally what I recommend is printing out your score on a sheet of A4 paper, placing it in a glass bottle and sending it out to sea, then wait a couple of weeks for a reply from Dory and Nemo.
    You forgot about Marvin. Gosh.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niraxas;[url="tel:67497144")
    67497144[/url]]HOW DID YOU GET THAT 900 IN AR LOL do you like take down all the patterns you see as well? I did that for a few but in some tests i jsut cant figure it out.

Whats your opinion on the official mock A o.o
    I was pleasantly surprised to be honest! My technique was rather random initially. During my practice I had made a list of all the patterns that I came across and then just the night before looked over them. I did mentally kick myself for going to count as soon as see the pattern, but actually numerous of my patterns were number related as the basis for the rule.

Offical Mock A was horrific for me, scared me a little to do more. Can't remember what results I got, I'd have to check my spreadsheet.

Definitely recommend UKCAT Ninja and Medify for AR, books are not as effective for AR in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap yaaah;[url="tel:67497248")
    67497248[/url]]Damn awesome score on QR and AR you smashed it
    Thank you very much! A little disappointed on VR but that was my weakest sub test throughout revision.

Honestly was not expecting any of my scores! Good luck to you or well done if you've taken the test already!

ReputationRep:
    Oh thankgod Mock A was horrifying for everyone i was scared af for like the last 2 hours cause ijsut did it .... i wasnt happy at allll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammie123)
    I was pleasantly surprised to be honest! My technique was rather random initially. During my practice I had made a list of all the patterns that I came across and then just the night before looked over them. I did mentally kick myself for going to count as soon as see the pattern, but actually numerous of my patterns were number related as the basis for the rule.

Offical Mock A was horrific for me, scared me a little to do more. Can't remember what results I got, I'd have to check my spreadsheet.

Definitely recommend UKCAT Ninja and Medify for AR, books are not as effective for AR in my opinion.
    Hey again lolyeah Mock A sucked.. when you say number based was it usually the number of side, or like the total shapes and I saw a few questions which stated that the number was increasing by the fibonacci sequence and **** andi was like uhm..... how did you approach QR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busybee8)
    Hey I got an average of 643, band 1. Is it worth me applying to Queen Mary?
    If you have a high tarriff prediction, go for it! I know people that have gotten in with 620!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gswp)
    Speaking about names i didn't register with middle name. Do i need to change that?
    the ID you bring on the day has to match exactly as you registered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessScott)
    I'm applying to unis who don't look at my GCSEs or a levels because mine were no where near for medicine. I'm applying as a graduate so have my degree in adult nursing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you dont mind me asking, which schools actually don't look heavily at GCSE's and A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niraxas;[url="tel:67497492")
    67497492[/url]]Hey again lolyeah Mock A sucked.. when you say number based was it usually the number of side, or like the total shapes and I saw a few questions which stated that the number was increasing by the fibonacci sequence and **** andi was like uhm..... how did you approach QR?
    It was quite similar to that, but it was more like dependence patterns. If there are x number of circles there are y number of blah blah. If you get what I mean?

I just guess flagged and skipped the longer questions and revisited them. I recommend practicing keyboard skills for QR! My a level maths helped mostly, so if you take that you should be familiar with multiple step maths problems!

ReputationRep:
    Guys, how are the SJT bands calculated? Is there any way I could get an approximation of my band when I do the Medify (40Qs) practice tests?

ReputationRep:
    how long have people taken to prepare? I have roughly 5/6 full days going on holiday then come back for another 3/4 days. Are people taking like 3/4weeks to revise ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usa-apple)
    how long have people taken to prepare? I have roughly 5/6 full days going on holiday then come back for another 3/4 days. Are people taking like 3/4weeks to revise ?
    I found that a month was sufficient for revision. I also went on holiday in that month, and revised for an hour or so a day whilst I was on holiday. I'd recommend you do the same, so the techniques don't desert you due to you taking a break, but you're still able to enjoy yourself and whatnot. It might sound stupid, but this is your future and you can't afford to take a chance on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey a couple of questions,

-I just completed medify mock 1 and achieved an average score of 720, how similar is this mock to the real thing?

-Also this is probably a stupid question lol, but are people actually answering any of the questions in the decision making section? I know that it's not getting marked so I'm planning on completely skipping it, but I was just curious as to whether or not people were answering the questions...

ReputationRep:
    Hello, well done to everyone on their results!

I just sat my UKCAT today and got 770 average.
    VR: 610
    QR: 800
    AR: 900
    Band 2

I used UKCAT Ninja, Medify and the Offical UKCAT practice questions and tests.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck to everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have a few questions Is it worth buying the UKCAT Ninja susbcription? i only have 9 days left till my exam. I have used up all my medify questions apart from the mocks. I have some of the 600 question book left to finish and 2 UKCAT mocks left. Also what do you think i should do in these last 9 days build up to the exam? i manage to get 60% of the AR right, 70% of VR and 60% of QR on the prarctice tests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    I found that a month was sufficient for revision. I also went on holiday in that month, and revised for an hour or so a day whilst I was on holiday. I'd recommend you do the same, so the techniques don't desert you due to you taking a break, but you're still able to enjoy yourself and whatnot. It might sound stupid, but this is your future and you can't afford to take a chance on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What was your score if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    What was your score if you don't mind me asking?
    This was for last year, but I got 702.5 (I think VR 760 QR 740 AR 660 and DA 650, can't remember exactly) and Band 3 haha. Nothing special but above average so I was happy. Got me interviews and offers at Kings, Cardiff and Birmingham for Dentistry, in addition to the other parts of my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Hey! Can you provide the list of patterns that you made?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    This was for last year, but I got 702.5 (I think VR 760 QR 740 AR 660 and DA 650, can't remember exactly) and Band 3 haha. Nothing special but above average so I was happy. Got me interviews and offers at Kings, Cardiff and Birmingham for Dentistry, in addition to the other parts of my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Amazing score! I'd be so happy with that - well done My UKCAT is on the 20th and I'm also applying to do dentistry haha, I really hope it goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoemccarthy34)
    Thank you. Did you use medify and if so what did you get in their mocks?
    No I didn't use medify so I can't say whether or not it is helpful, but a lot of people on here are recommending it! However, I did calculate my score from all three mocks on the UKCAT website using the scoring system in the back of the 1000Q book. Personally I think it's all to do with which questions you're given and it's partly down to luck (when practising my strong points were VR and AR but the majority of my questions for those in the real thing were long and complex). Also make sure you practise getting into a good mental state so you're calm going in as panicking will just cause you to waste time. Good luck for yours when you have it!

ReputationRep:
    just a quick question for those who have done their exam... were the AR patterns easy to identify. where there many conditional patterns?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.