Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

CTAM: Count to a million and be the first forum to do it (Part 10)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternaforest)

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    :I
    Holy sweet Cheesus :shock:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Farm Frenzy 3 tho :mmm:
    Windows 7 still?
    Yeah, tell me about it! 96'C and 97'C core temps on a processor that shuts down at 105'C. And that was 10 months after purchase! (Purchased in Aug 2011, screenshot on June 13, 2012.) Now it is Sep 5, 2016 (i.e. over 5 years from the original purchase date of that laptop) and it is STILL overheating like it did when I first noticed it in 2012!

Yeah, I've got Farm Frenzy on there - it came preinstalled on the Acer as farm frenzy 2 and I liked it so bought Farm Frenzy 3.

It came with Windows 7 and I've left it on 7 - I've found out that Windows 10 is more graphic intensive so games don't play nicely unless you have a decent graphics card. The Acer 5742 (and my more modern HP 15-ac153sa) both have integrated graphics so things run better under Windows 7.
    Windows 10 is OK but make sure you have all of your privacy settings switched off.
    Windows 8/8.1 was a disaster and I would happily pay the retail price of Windows 7 (or 10) to get 8.1 off my PC. Though buying a product key off eBay would be even better, as it is cheaper

ReputationRep:
    I've joined it
    97 degrees? how is your laptop not dead :laugh:

Awesome it should get updated in a few days/weeks time
    Plus there's a lot of admin work that needs to happen on that society... as it lists threads that were binned ages ago (as they were excessive), plus there are banned members (that won't ever be reinstated) on there that need to be removed!

Yeah... I did say, didn't I, that the Acer Aspire 5742 (and all laptops in the 57xx series) are prone to cooking themselves... And this was in June 2012. It's now Sep 2015 and things are no better!
    Games have to be played in power saving mode, on the windows power options.. It's a case of either have it on power saver and suffer any lag that happens, or have it on balanced and watch as it shuts off automatically after a few minutes, losing any game progress, as well as anything else you may have open, such as documents, tasks, browser windows etc...

ReputationRep:
    Back in an hour! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Awesome it should get updated in a few days/weeks time
    Plus there's a lot of admin work that needs to happen on that society... as it lists threads that were binned ages ago (as they were excessive), plus there are banned members (that won't ever be reinstated) on there that need to be removed!

Yeah... I did say, didn't I, that the Acer Aspire 5742 (and all laptops in the 57xx series) are prone to cooking themselves... And this was in June 2012. It's now Sep 2015 and things are no better!
    Games have to be played in power saving mode, on the windows power options.. It's a case of either have it on power saver and suffer any lag that happens, or have it on balanced and watch as it shuts off automatically after a few minutes, losing any game progress, as well as anything else you may have open, such as documents, tasks, browser windows etc...

What games do you run on it?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, tell me about it! 96'C and 97'C core temps on a processor that shuts down at 105'C. And that was 10 months after purchase! (Purchased in Aug 2011, screenshot on June 13, 2012.) Now it is Sep 5, 2016 (i.e. over 5 years from the original purchase date of that laptop) and it is STILL overheating like it did when I first noticed it in 2012!
    Yeah, I've got Farm Frenzy on there - it came preinstalled on the Acer as farm frenzy 2 and I liked it so bought Farm Frenzy 3.
    It came with Windows 7 and I've left it on 7 - I've found out that Windows 10 is more graphic intensive so games don't play nicely unless you have a decent graphics card. The Acer 5742 (and my more modern HP 15-ac153sa) both have integrated graphics so things run better under Windows 7.
    Windows 10 is OK but make sure you have all of your privacy settings switched off.
    Windows 8/8.1 was a disaster and I would happily pay the retail price of Windows 7 (or 10) to get 8.1 off my PC. Though buying a product key off eBay would be even better, as it is cheaper
    damn haha XDYeah I have an 8.1 laptop and i reinstalled windows 7 features like the traditional start button (love that :yy:)Wish I could get Chess Titans back though, was great :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    damn haha XDYeah I have an 8.1 laptop and i reinstalled windows 7 features like the traditional start button (love that :yy:)Wish I could get Chess Titans back though, was great :daydreaming:
    Thankfully I will switch this week to a laptop that doesn't cook itself, unlike this Acer!

Did you go for the free windows 10 upgrade this year? If you were on windows 8, or 8.1, you should have upgraded!

I've got Chess Titans on Windows 7... Have a look on Google, there should be a way of getting Chess Titans installed on Windows 10.

I miss 3D Pinball from Windows XP... though I think I did manage to get it working on windows 7 too!

ReputationRep:
    What games do you run on it?

Not a lot at the moment, to be honest - as it is incapable of playing much, due to overheating! Some games such as Peggle (I have Peggle Deluxe and Peggle Nights Deluxe) are OK, though some games like Farm Frenzy or Cake Mania are hopeless...

I've also got some games from the XP era that run nicely (assuming they run on windows 7, I have a couple of XP machines for games that won't run) but anything that requires a lot of CPU power will just fail!

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully I will switch this week to a laptop that doesn't cook itself, unlike this Acer!
    Did you go for the free windows 10 upgrade this year? If you were on windows 8, or 8.1, you should have upgraded!
    I've got Chess Titans on Windows 7... Have a look on Google, there should be a way of getting Chess Titans installed on Windows 10.
    I miss 3D Pinball from Windows XP... though I think I did manage to get it working on windows 7 too!
    YAY let me know if it works for u, i do hope so!
    Not got round to it yet lol, maybe tomorrow, I'm always using it cos I was on a summer placement you see Lucky you
    Ooh ok
    haha minesweeper was also pretty awesome :mmm:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.