Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    :hugs:
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    Everyone has / is getting results...

I have yet to sit my exams. 8 days to go...

I need a hug.
    I need a hug too, day 4/77 away from my boyfriend. This SUCKS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I need a hug too, day 4/77 away from my boyfriend. This SUCKS.
    Harsh times Bad enough going weekend to weekend I find.

ReputationRep:
    Haha... thats true... however, they'll screw us over in some form or another... "oh lets put 50 questions in that we haven't thought them and make them **** themselves... muahahaha" lol

they must have... for me to have passed that paper, they must have removed at least 30 questions lol.. no exaggeration. haha

(Original post by Medicine Man)
    BEST BIT: NO MORE SPOTTERS (AND SAQ'S)!! EVER!
    :happy2:

Grats dude! Enjoy being back home and stuff!

EDIT: Tbh, I reckon they lowered the pass mark for that horrible spotter exam because I was pleasantly shocked with my mark as were a bunch of others. Either that, or there was a massive error in the system and thus we should just take the marks and run like the wind! :p:

ReputationRep:
    nothing on it came up across the 2 years so you didn't miss out much

Why didn't I see this when I was learning this last year and this year? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habski)
    Haha... thats true... however, they'll screw us over in some form or another... "oh lets put 50 questions in that we haven't thought them and make them **** themselves... muahahaha" lol

they must have... for me to have passed that paper, they must have removed at least 30 questions lol.. no exaggeration. haha
    Yeah, you have fun in third year with data interpretation whilst a take this year out to do a bit of essay-ing! Haha. *cue me in four months time wishing I'd just carried on with medicine* :p:

But at least freshers now know - new questions are definitely in circulation and they WILL test them on it. Haha. I would actually like to find out how many questions were removed in the end. Tbh I reckon it was that ridiculously easy last ICA we had that made them kill us with this one - I mean I sorta guessed they'd make it harder with a class average of 80% or whatever it was for the last one but this was my face as I saw every question in the end of years and realised I couldn't answer any of them, which later turned into this after I clicked 'submit' at the end. Haha.

(Original post by habski)
    nothing on it came up across the 2 years so you didn't miss out much
    I'm sure we had some EMQs on some of that stuff with different factors and stuff last year. And there was an SAQ on something about haemostasis last year. I remember because I got them all wrong in both papers. Haha. That and my brain very stupidly choses to remember random exam questions very well after we're done with them. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Oh goodness.

First final exam tomorrow and I have the fear, and it is getting worse by the passing minute.

Good luck! Whenever you post on here, you always strike me as a guy with his head screwed on so I'm sure you can more than handle your finals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Oh goodness.

First final exam tomorrow and I have the fear, and it is getting worse by the passing minute.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    1 week into holidays and my body clock is already messed up. :/

ReputationRep:
    Passed 1st year, all 1sts and 2:i's. Relief is palpable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Well done!!!

I find it quite interesting how some unis just use a simple pass/fail/merit/distinction method when others like yours give you degree classifications and others give grades as in A Level. Its all so fascinating really....aaaaand I'm clearly getting well excited over something way too trivial. :emo:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I find it quite interesting how some unis just use a simple pass/fail/merit/distinction method when others like yours give you degree classifications and others give grades as in A Level. Its all so fascinating really....aaaaand I'm clearly getting well excited over something way too trivial. :emo:
    We have fail/pass/distinction (no merit) and then for our written exams and OSCEs we're given our quartile A/B/C/D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I just had a look at the website and the optional/choice bit is for the Spring term module, so it may be that we don't need to pick until after we've started in September. I think I'm definitely leaning towards the Imaging one. I'm more interested in when we get to pick our projects!
    Hopefully that's true :p:

Yeah I feel I'd be more inclined to the imaging one because I don't know anything about imaging :ninja:

I do wonder what I will end up doing project wise :erm:

ReputationRep:
    1 week into holidays and my body clock is already messed up. :/
    Same, I was up till 2.30 last night playing bejewelled blitz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Well done
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I find it fascinating that Prof Tooke has been at UCL for less that 12 months and has already brought changes to the UCL curriculum, brought directly over from Peninsula where they were first put into practice.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/s...new-curriculum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    I find it fascinating that Prof Tooke has been at UCL for less that 12 months and has already brought changes to the UCL curriculum, brought directly over from Peninsula where they were first put into practice.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/s...new-curriculum
    I don't.

A portfolio throughout training, to support reflective practice

This already happened we've had portfolios for ages. I have yet to learn anything from this to be honest. This is also because with 'reflective practice' no-one actually writes what they think - otherwise you would get the FtP board onto you. There is also the point that most people in medical school are capable of thinking through what they do and learning when things don't go so well - yes, sometimes quantifying that into an essay can help, but more often than not these reflective pieces are done the day before the portfolio is due in with all the 'right' emotional/reflective catchphrases put in. I can think about what I do without essays, thank you. I nean, our consultants trained without portfolios - presumably they survive?? This was origenally a nursing 'reflective diary' type thing that is the new fashion; like all fashions, it will pass.

Patient pathways in all 6 years, to facilitate spiral learning and meaningful patient contact at all stages of the programme

To put this little gem into practice

Ah yes, currently, we get 9 weeks of general surgery and 9 weeks of general medicine, amongst other things in the first clinical year. Next year, people will get 5 weeks of general surgery, and possibly the same of general medicine. The remainder of the time will be spent bringing neurology into the 3rd year - it is currently a forth year 'specialty', the other 4 weeks will be for activities based on 'following the patient journey'. Currently the third year is to get to grips with history and examinations before general specialties later the next year - paeds, O+G, neurology, ID/womans and DGH.

I would however of course welcome more small group work - small group teaching, especially clinical teaching really does make a massive difference - and I think the medical school does very very well with it already.

Integrated BSc, sharing vertical structures with the other years

The whole soul of the bsc is that you take time out of medicine to do something else - people have done anthropology for instance, or international health, or any of the ~20 othe bscs. The point is you have a year to concentrate on it - what exactly does 'intergration' mean? I have a feeling it is code for 'the medical curriculum needs more time, lets erode the bsc'.

Early experience of the clinical environment is integrated into body systems to match 21st century practice
    Again, classic soundbite, what does it mean? It is true that at the momment our first and second years get token PDS half days to have a actor come in and they get taught cardio/resp exams, is there going to be more of this? Good I guess. The baulk of the ethics and law covered tortously over many afternoons in first and second year was condensed into a 1 hour summmery lecture at the begining of clinicals. I would agree that they could find more time in the curriculum. That said, PDS is good for forming a group of friends in the early days - our group went out for dinners, socials and help each other out lots.

Disclaimer - the forth year stuff is news on the grapevine, and as with all grapevine related material can be substantially inaccurate...read at own risk etc..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I don't.

A portfolio throughout training, to support reflective practice

This already happened we've had portfolios for ages. I have yet to learn anything from this to be honest. This is also because with 'reflective practice' no-one actually writes what they think - otherwise you would get the FtP board onto you. There is also the point that most people in medical school are capable of thinking through what they do and learning when things don't go so well - yes, sometimes quantifying that into an essay can help, but more often than not these reflective pieces are done the day before the portfolio is due in with all the 'right' emotional/reflective catchphrases put in. I can think about what I do without essays, thank you. I nean, our consultants trained without portfolios - presumably they survive?? This was origenally a nursing 'reflective diary' type thing that is the new fashion; like all fashions, it will pass.

Patient pathways in all 6 years, to facilitate spiral learning and meaningful patient contact at all stages of the programme

To put this little gem into practice

Ah yes, currently, we get 9 weeks of general surgery and 9 weeks of general medicine, amongst other things in the first clinical year. Next year, people will get 5 weeks of general surgery, and possibly the same of general medicine. The remainder of the time will be spent bringing neurology into the 3rd year - it is currently a forth year 'specialty', the other 4 weeks will be for activities based on 'following the patient journey'. Currently the third year is to get to grips with history and examinations before general specialties later the next year - paeds, O+G, neurology, ID/womans and DGH.

I would however of course welcome more small group work - small group teaching, especially clinical teaching really does make a massive difference - and I think the medical school does very very well with it already.

Integrated BSc, sharing vertical structures with the other years

The whole soul of the bsc is that you take time out of medicine to do something else - people have done anthropology for instance, or international health, or any of the ~20 othe bscs. The point is you have a year to concentrate on it - what exactly does 'intergration' mean? I have a feeling it is code for 'the medical curriculum needs more time, lets erode the bsc'.

Early experience of the clinical environment is integrated into body systems to match 21st century practice
    Again, classic soundbite, what does it mean? It is true that at the momment our first and second years get token PDS half days to have a actor come in and they get taught cardio/resp exams, is there going to be more of this? Good I guess. The baulk of the ethics and law covered tortously over many afternoons in first and second year was condensed into a 1 hour summmery lecture at the begining of clinicals. I would agree that they could find more time in the curriculum. That said, PDS is good for forming a group of friends in the early days - our group went out for dinners, socials and help each other out lots.

Disclaimer - the forth year stuff is news on the grapevine, and as with all grapevine related material can be substantially inaccurate...read at own risk etc..

While initially I also shared your opinion on the Portfolios, however it was then brought to my attention that reflective logs are part of the Foundation Program curriculum, so we might as well get used to it from medical school. And they do provide a good opportunity for your academic tutor to help you. Yes the reflective essays are most likely a 24-48 hours before the deadline thing, but they do make you reflect even if its a rush job.

Yes in years 1 and 2 there use is limited, however in clinical years they have a massive use. They allow you to write about and reflect patients that leave a mark on you and how your experiences will lead you to change your practice/professionalism/communication or clinical competence ect.

The rest will translate to good news as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    While initially I also shared your opinion on the Portfolios, however it was then brought to my attention that reflective logs are part of the Foundation Program curriculum, so we might as well get used to it from medical school. And they do provide a good opportunity for your academic tutor to help you. Yes the reflective essays are most likely a 24-48 hours before the deadline thing, but they do make you reflect even if its a rush job.

Yes in years 1 and 2 there use is limited, however in clinical years they have a massive use. They allow you to write about and reflect patients that leave a mark on you and how your experiences will lead you to change your practice/professionalism/communication or clinical competence ect.

The rest will translate to good news as well.
    But you assume that people that write essays to think out their experiences do better. I would say people that think about what they do, think through what they do and remain cautious and humble through their careers do well. You can think about and learn from your experiences without writing essays, yes?

The fact that reflective logs are used in the foundation programme does not necessarily make it useful - the foundation programme has had some element of it changed every year - that alone should tell you something. To say that because it is used, it must work is a non sequitor argument.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    But you assume that people that write essays to think out their experiences do better. I would say people that think about what they do, think through what they do and remain cautious and humble through their careers do well. You can think about and learn from your experiences without writing essays, yes?

The fact that reflective logs are used in the foundation programme does not necessarily make it useful - the foundation programme has had some element of it changed every year - that alone should tell you something. To say that because it is used, it must work is a non sequitor argument.
    I did not say that it worked, i said that it is used so we may as well get used to it.
    Its efficacy may well be questionable but so long as it has an evidence base which overall gives positive outcomes it will remain.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.