The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Obviously ignoring the "it will never happen" side of things, Con-SNP will more probably than not give a majority, I can also see, if both parties do a bit better than I expect, Lab-SNP just scraping it and if Con and LD do better than I expect (as I damn well hope they do) they also might just scrape it, although I would say that's improbable, I expect them to be able to do 2 party minority coalition though.
A Lab-SNP coalition will almost certainly form a minority government and so I don't think an LD-Tory minority will be allowed by those 2 parties, but both parties have said they don't want to work with each other (although maybe a campaign thing?), so it's likely this would be the last resort. I actually think Lab-Tory is very likely if the numbers swing the right way. LD-Tory would be way too far under the 324/326 majority line to be a thing.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Con-SNP will more probably than not give a majority,
It'll never happen
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Woop I'm home at last.

I'm off to vote soon, but (and I knew this would happen) I'm having 2nd thoughts on who to vote for.

Wails loudly
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I voted!

Con for MP and LD for Council!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
Woop I'm home at last.

I'm off to vote soon, but (and I knew this would happen) I'm having 2nd thoughts on who to vote for.

Wails loudly
*whisper*vote green*whisper*
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I see TSR has had some updates. I don't like it - it feels foreign.

Talking of an aversion to all things foreign, I reluctantly voted UKIP today as the only party I trust to take us out of Europe.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can assure Aph, of the 2 I'm contemplating Green is not one of them
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can assure Aph, of the 2 I'm contemplating Green is not one of them
If it's LD or Tory go LD, if it's LD or labour go LD, if it's LD or UKIP go LD.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
If it's LD or Tory go LD, if it's LD or labour go LD, if it's LD or UKIP go LD.

It's so odd to be in favour of a central party but then also not minding an extreme right one.

I think if the LDs wanted out of the EU then I wouldn't have this issue.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by talentedlobster)
A Lab-SNP coalition will almost certainly form a minority government and so I don't think an LD-Tory minority will be allowed by those 2 parties, but both parties have said they don't want to work with each other (although maybe a campaign thing?), so it's likely this would be the last resort. I actually think Lab-Tory is very likely if the numbers swing the right way. LD-Tory would be way too far under the 324/326 majority line to be a thing.
Whether Lab&SNP would "allow" a Ld-Tory minority is irrelevant, if a Tory-LD coalition can pass a Queens speech they're fine and I don't think they would actually be that far off the 323.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

It's so odd to be in favour of a central party but then also not minding an extreme right one.

Why don't you like the EU?
talentedlobster
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whether Lab&SNP would "allow" a Ld-Tory minority is irrelevant, if a Tory-LD coalition can pass a Queens speech they're fine and I don't think they would actually be that far off the 323.
It isn't irrelevant at all. Labour and SNP can very quickly form a larger minority before the LD-Tory can be passed. Also, Tory-LD are looking to be about 300 combined, which I believe is deemed too low.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

To be honest UKIP are too populist to be on the far right imo
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by talentedlobster)
It isn't irrelevant at all. Labour and SNP can very quickly form a larger minority before the LD-Tory can be passed. Also, Tory-LD are looking to be about 300 combined, which I believe is deemed too low.
Most that I've looked at would be putting Tory-LD in the 31x range, DUP&UKIP should be able to make up the rest of what's needed even if it is purely voting and no coalition element.
Labour SNP is also in a similar region but supposing Ed sticks to his word (I doubt he will, not entirely at least) then it will be him in the 26x or 27x region with a bunch of support from others but not really able to contest even the Tories alone, supposing that LD will offer the Tories at least C&S.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Why don't you like the EU?
Don't like us being governed by laws created outside of our own country, feel like the power the EU has and wants is getting out of control, do not agree with fully open borders, trying to get countries with radically different cultures to co-operate on things is absurd, the amount of money we chuck at it etc.

Not to mention the abysmal currency that is the Euro, which good ol' maggie can sum up for me:

"What is the point of trying to get elected to Parliament only to hand over sterling and the powers of this House to Europe?"
----
That is why I do not like the EU.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't like us being governed by laws created outside of our own country, feel like the power the EU has and wants is getting out of control, do not agree with fully open borders, trying to get countries with radically different cultures to co-operate on things is absurd, the amount of money we chuck at it etc.

Not to mention the abysmal currency that is the Euro, which good ol' maggie can sum up for me:

"What is the point of trying to get elected to Parliament only to hand over sterling and the powers of this House to Europe?"
----
PRSOM - Hear hear!
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
----
Why did we elect Members of the European Parliament then?
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most that I've looked at would be putting Tory-LD in the 31x range, DUP&UKIP should be able to make up the rest of what's needed even if it is purely voting and no coalition element.
Labour SNP is also in a similar region but supposing Ed sticks to his word (I doubt he will, not entirely at least) then it will be him in the 26x or 27x region with a bunch of support from others but not really able to contest even the Tories alone, supposing that LD will offer the Tories at least C&S.
He will stick to his word, and the SNP will vote him into office, independently, because no matter what happens the SNP CANNOT vote in the Tories.

Milliband will be PM if there's no way for anyone to forma a majority government i'm certain. We just have to hope the the number of SNP MPs are not as much as they're forecasted to be.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

----
Scots are governed by laws made in England? Which powers exactly? The boarders aren't fully open, if you looked into EU law you'd understand that. Well I would argue that the culture in London is radically different to that of rural NI, perhaps more so then the culture of the UK as a whole to that of Romania. But using that argument I suppose you oppose the UN? And we do get more money out.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Why did we elect Members of the European Parliament then?
Someone needs to wield the rubber stamp to make everything look democratic.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads