Struggling with revision? Join the TSR session every hour!! From 7am-2am. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philo-jitsu)
    Its the silver 1 paper question 4 part b

its binomial expansion but the second part is a bit odd

https://5a302d29ff432793ce79475dd3db...%20Edexcel.pdf
    Thats confused me as well

What did you get as your expansion because i cant seem to get the same x^3 coefficient as them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeemaG18)
    Thats confused me as well

What did you get as your expansion because i cant seem to get the same x^3 coefficient as them
    Ive got it now,

you cant use 8-9x=7100, which rearranges to get x=-788 because we are given limits at the start that say modx<9/8

so thats why we have to take cubed root 1000 which = 10 out to get 8-9x=7.8 which rearranges to get an x that falls within the limits

might not have explained well but someone just helped me with it on another forum

ReputationRep:
    also usually when your coefficient is wrong its a simple maths error, just double check it should be quick to find

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philo-jitsu)
    Ive got it now,

you cant use 8-9x=7100, which rearranges to get x=-788 because we are given limits at the start that say modx<9/8

so thats why we have to take cubed root 1000 which = 10 out to get 8-9x=7.8 which rearranges to get an x that falls within the limits

might not have explained well but someone just helped me with it on another forum
    Ohhh that makes so much more sense, i got the -788 but didnt get the right value when it was subbed in

ReputationRep:
    Well, I actually managed to wake up fairly early this morning but I decided that I'd go to the library as I thought I'd get more work done there. So I travelled all the way to the library + when I got there I realised that I'd forgotten my Biology textbook. Like, I don't even know how that's possible bc you'd think it'd be the first thing I'd place in my bag but anyway, it obviously meant that I couldn't do any work which was ridiculously annoying bc I went all that way for absolutely nothing. >.>>>

Anywayyyy, I had to go out again when I got home + I just got back home again + I'm going to unpack my body then I'll start bio notes. Need to work really hard for the rest of today to make up for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finally done the D1 paper, got 67/75, dropped marks because I couldn't be bothered to do that great big Gantt chart at the end, otherwise would've got 71/75

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I finished my biology flashcards yesterday so now I'm condensing my chemistry notes. I woke up so late today though urgh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Going to do the June 2011 paper now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    68/75 on core 4 silver 2, made stupid error and also didn't know area of a parallelogram....

dont know if ive got another paper in me.....may watch a film then come back, done 4.5 hours so far need a break i reckon

ReputationRep:
    Finished my second chemistry paper and I was also doing a few NMR questions from different past papers, and I can do them quite quickly now I'll practice some more NMR, then do another past paper

ReputationRep:
    Done and marked June 2011 paper, got 65/75 which was an A so I'm ok with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamara7)
    Finished my second chemistry paper and I was also doing a few NMR questions from different past papers, and I can do them quite quickly now I'll practice some more NMR, then do another past paper
    tips for nmr? i never get the final structure right?! also where else can i find practise qs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gonna do Jan 2011 noe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm still making my Biology notes; almost done with topic 6 then I'll move onto succession.

ReputationRep:
    This is the week when pretty much all my exams are happening, yet I have so little motivation to work hard. I've spent most of today rewatching got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    tips for nmr? i never get the final structure right?! also where else can i find practise qs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have a structured attempt at the question. I always structure the big NMR questions like this:

The singlet/doublet/whatever at 2.7ppm is caused by a H (or a number of Hs if they give you the ratio of Hs for the peaks) in a R-CH (or something else, literally copying the structure the data sheet gives) environment adjacent to however many Hs (remember the n + 1 rule), then I draw what this peak tells me. If you analyse all the peaks like this, you should get a bunch of marks
    (I always say how many peaks there are in total, and then that's how many H environments there are)

So for example: the triplet at 2.9 ppm is caused by 2 Hs in a C6H5-CH environment adjacent to 2 Hs:
    C6H5-CH2-CH2-

Remember to use other clues in the Q as well, if it's an ester, then there should be a peak for HC-CO- for the H next to the C=O carbon.

For piecing the molecule together, look for things that overlap. Like if you found that two peaks suggest the structures CH3-CH2- and CH3-CH2-O-, then you can guess that the CH3-CH2- overlap.

More NMR Qs: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resourc...stions-6259747
    (Make a TES account).

If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them

ReputationRep:
    Ooooohhhhh noooooo. Done with anarchism (erm, for now... :erm:) but the realisation that I have about 5 more ideologies (minimum) to cover is dawning upon me - why is this so hard. :cry2:
    Now moving on to liberalism again :sigh: - think I'll have to gamble a bit and skip reading revision notes and just cover every single essay that has come up. :work:

ReputationRep:
    yay, I've just completed all my Bio 4 notes.

:party:

Think I'm going to take a break now, then I'll start making my Chem 4 notes bc that's on Tuesday + I think biology memorisation/preparation can wait a little.

ReputationRep:
    Hey CONGRATS! Have you learnt any of unit 4 and 5 yet? Also may I ask what grades you're hoping for?
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    yay, I've just completed all my Bio 4 notes.

:party:

Think I'm going to take a break now, then I'll start making my Chem 4 notes bc that's on Tuesday + I think biology memorisation/preparation can wait a little.

ReputationRep:
    going to write essay plans for NML and virtue ethics for philosophy exam on wednesday

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.