Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, all! It's so exciting to see all of you receiving offers! I had to wait on my referee to submit my app, so I'm a bit behind you guys. In any case, Merry Christmas! (Or Happy Christmas!)

Also, I realize this is slightly off topic, but where, if anywhere, did you lot apply in the U.S.? Personally I've racked up a good list, including a bunch of UC's and NYU, even though my real ambition is to study in the U.K.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fräulein)
    Thank you, all! It's so exciting to see all of you receiving offers! I had to wait on my referee to submit my app, so I'm a bit behind you guys. In any case, Merry Christmas! (Or Happy Christmas!)

Also, I realize this is slightly off topic, but where, if anywhere, did you lot apply in the U.S.? Personally I've racked up a good list, including a bunch of UC's and NYU, even though my real ambition is to study in the U.K.
    Um, Edinburgh is my absolute first choice so I purposely tried not to think about that much, haha. But if I had gotten a rejection I would've applied to U Chicago (second choice) and NYU (fourth, after St Andrews). And taken a gap year if I had gotten all rejections. But...yeah, I tried not to think about a rejection from Edinburgh much...which is apparent from my lack of safety schools.

/irrelevant ramble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tzareenah)
    Congratulations!! And to the others!! (It's hard to keep up with the offers that everyone's getting )

Fraulein, Aberdeen didn't let me know until about a month and a half after I sent it in, and Manchester and St Andrews would have taken longer if I hadn't withdrawn, probably. So don't worry (yet).

As a side note, I'm fully prepared for university in Scotland now...I got a large bottle of Irn Bru for Christmas. :woo:
    Thank you :]

This is basically the most exciting thing in the universe

ReputationRep:
    Have you lot been doing your homework with regards to student visas for the U.K.? I kind of have a grasp of the documents that we need to obtain a visa, but I don't understand if we're supposed to send them someplace or just present them to somebody? They ask for original documents, so it seems a bit sketchy to mail them :/ Also, is there some sort of interview process?

ReputationRep:
    Have you lot been doing your homework with regards to student visas for the U.K.? I kind of have a grasp of the documents that we need to obtain a visa, but I don't understand if we're supposed to send them someplace or just present them to somebody? They ask for original documents, so it seems a bit sketchy to mail them :/ Also, is there some sort of interview process?
    Edinburgh sent me an email saying they were going to send a whole information letter about visas and all that some time early next year. I think it's safe to wait until the university has sent the info considering they're the ones who have to sponsor you in the first place and should have the whole process and documentation clearly outlined in terms of what you have to do. ...and if all else fails I suppose you could always call the embassy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, there. You will have to apply online and have your biometric details taken at an application support center in the US (via appointment) AFTER submitting your online application. It's a pretty straight-forward process.

The online application costs about $200 and you have to provide a passport, a visa-letter from your sponsor, documents that indicate you have the necessary funds to live in the UK (for London-based students you have to prove that you can pay the fees for the first year of study + 7,000 British pounds for maintenance costs), a letter of acceptance and of course the biometric details.

The admissions pack that your university sends over explains all that - and more - in detail.

ReputationRep:
    The UK Border Agency has a good site that tells you what you need to do. You can't do anything about visas until 3 months before your course starts, so don't worry about it until June or so.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the universities I applied to in the UK, I also applied to four UCs, Cal Poly, and JMU. My parents prefer that I go to a UC, but honestly, everyone from my school goes to a UC, and I honestly don't see the point of going to a school full of people just like me. Which UCs are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmyish)
    Apart from the universities I applied to in the UK, I also applied to four UCs, Cal Poly, and JMU. My parents prefer that I go to a UC, but honestly, everyone from my school goes to a UC, and I honestly don't see the point of going to a school full of people just like me. Which UCs are you applying to?
    LA, Berkeley, SD, Davis and Irvine. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    LA, Berkeley, SD, Davis and Irvine. How about you?
    Davis, Irvine, SD, and Riverside.
    I would really rather go to a school in the UK. I've been in California for way too long. I want snow, rain, and no GE's. Although I guess I wouldn't mind going to a UC. Have you visited any of them yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have a question. Is an unconditional offer really unconditional? I mean, if I actually failed a class or something, that wouldn't cause them to rescind my offer, right? I'm in a class right now for which I may receive a poor grade, or even fail, so I'm a bit worried. :eek3:

Davis, Irvine, SD, and Riverside.
    I would really rather go to a school in the UK. I've been in California for way too long. I want snow, rain, and no GE's. Although I guess I wouldn't mind going to a UC. Have you visited any of them yet?
    Just a few. I've seen Irvine, LA and SD, all of which are beautiful campuses, but I, like you, am looking for a change of scenery

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have a question. Is an unconditional offer really unconditional? I mean, if I actually failed a class or something, that wouldn't cause them to rescind my offer, right? I'm in a class right now for which I may receive a poor grade, or even fail, so I'm a bit worried. :eek3:

Just a few. I've seen Irvine, LA and SD, all of which are beautiful campuses, but I, like you, am looking for a change of scenery
    I totally agree those schools do have amazing campuses. I was a little bit disturbed by the anteater that sat atop every building on the Irvine campus haha, but the buildings and dorms were absolutely gorgeous. Berkeley was a bit iffy for me. The moment I stepped onto campus I started breaking out in hives, which has never happened to me before in my life, so that was a bit strange... and kind of funny. I'm allergic to Berkeley.

As for the grade thing, the same exact thing happened to me, except I was able to fix my failing grade. From what I heard I'm sure as long as it's not like a D or F you're fine. But honestly, I think unconditional means unconditional. From what I understand an unconditional offer means you already qualify with your current qualifications. You could try emailing or calling UCAS for a more official answer.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree those schools do have amazing campuses. I was a little bit disturbed by the anteater that sat atop every building on the Irvine campus haha, but the buildings and dorms were absolutely gorgeous. Berkeley was a bit iffy for me. The moment I stepped onto campus I started breaking out in hives, which has never happened to me before in my life, so that was a bit strange... and kind of funny. I'm allergic to Berkeley.

As for the grade thing, the same exact thing happened to me, except I was able to fix my failing grade. From what I heard I'm sure as long as it's not like a D or F you're fine. But honestly, I think unconditional means unconditional. From what I understand an unconditional offer means you already qualify with your current qualifications. You could try emailing or calling UCAS for a more official answer.
    I may have a D. But it's not a core class like English or Math...hmm. Edinburgh only told me they wanted a copy of my diploma, they said nothing about transcripts. But maybe it's different for your schools?

ReputationRep:

An unconditional offer is unconditional. It means you've been offered a place based on your current qualifications, and what you haven't yet achieved don't matter. So, they cannot rescind an offer if you fail a course.

ReputationRep:
    Accepted: Oxford
    Conditions: 5 AP Literature and Composition, 5 AP Biology, 5 AP Government and Politics
    Grades: ACT - 32
    SAT - 2160
    AP - 5 on AP Language and Composition, 5 on APUSH

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the Oxford offer!!!!

I honestly can't wait for school to start up again just because that means deans in the UK will be back from break and hopefully reading my UCAS application. Submitted on December 4th and received zero decisions so far.

While lurking this board, I've noticed that some people who submitted to the same universities later than I did have already gotten replies. D:

ReputationRep:

I honestly can't wait for school to start up again just because that means deans in the UK will be back from break and hopefully reading my UCAS application. Submitted on December 4th and received zero decisions so far.

While lurking this board, I've noticed that some people who submitted to the same universities later than I did have already gotten replies. D:
    Oh thank you!

I'm sure you'll hear back soon enough. :yep:

ReputationRep:

where did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    where did you apply to?
    Edinburgh, St. Andys, Glasgow, RHUL and King's College
    I applied for a popular couse, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with a longer waiting period due to a sheer volume of applications.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an Unconditional from Durham but nowhere near the campus I wanted nor near where my classes would be :\

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.