"Looks are everything these days" Watch

Poll: "Looks are everything these days" - Agree or disagree?
Agree (228)
51.94%
Disagree (211)
48.06%
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by xanadu_21)
But what about this? The uglier you are the more quickly you'll seize an opportunity to get laid, because you'll feel flattered and you know that the opportunity won't come again that quickly, and the hotter you are, the more likely you are to hold out for someone special because you will know that you're hot enough to get most guys and you won't really feel like you need to prove anything? I'm talking about girls btw.
But ugly people don't get laid - so how is that even possible?
Redreynard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
"Mating" or sex?

In today's society, if you don't have sex, you're a pathetic unsocialable little virgin with no hope of a future...

Depressing, nevertheless true, fact.
a little virgin sounds quite appealing to me!!

as to being "pathetic" or "unsociable", they are just labels that usually dumb bullies place on others. anyone successful is to busy living their own life to worry about someone else's lack of, or otherwise, courage or sociability.
Mad Cat Lady
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I disagree that looks are EVERYTHING. Sure, if we are talking about general society on the whole, better looking people tend to get a better start in life - more likely to get a job, more likely to have more friends, etc.

However, if you're good looking but really crap at everything, no personality, or whatever then you're less likely to hold up a job, your relationships with others will be flimsy and you're more likely to be stalked or used for sex.

What's more, I'm butt ugly yet ive managed to have 3 long-term relationships and two short-term (and those guys weren't exactly models...), I have enough friends, I get on well with people and I'm perfectly happy, when a mirror isn't present. To me, looks don't matter all that much. Eyecandy is all it is.
Rosiee017
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I disagree, because a person you may be attracted to and find beautifull, another person may not think the same. If that makes sense.
I think personality is the most important factor. If a person has a great personality, they automatically become attractive. Well that's my opinion anyways.
Artvandelay
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It means more than before much due to the way media has expanded, new media channels, blogs, TV shows, airbrushing, less inhibitions related to the body, surgery becoming more common. My mum said that when she was my age girls would compare themselves to other girls - today we compare ourselves to the world's most beautiful. How many teenagers aren't watching Victoria's Secret fashion show and keep dreaming away? It's not like people just focus on enhancing their features anymore, everything is supposed to be perfect.

I have to say I've been extremely fortunate from nature's side with my face, body, hair etc. Although I am a B-cup and have been thinking they should just be one size bigger, maybe whiter teeth, maybe some restylane. Girls who are attractive do not stress less with their looks, maybe even more, to reach perfection.
Being perfectly honest, my looks help me a lot. I work hard at school and when I work, but of course it is a plus that men (either male teachers, bosses or just connections) always have a positive attitude towards me. I don't rely on it, and looks will obviously pass with time and there are disadvantages such as other girls being automatically negative towards you if pretty. Even on TSR - if you happen to be aware of being good-looking, you get shouted at. We're all supposed to be unattractive online.
I don't think an attractive person with no brains will be successful and happy in life, but I think if you have the looks/talent combo, everything is so much easier.

Of course people will say here that "beauty is subjective" - well, to a certain extent. I don't find Jake Gyllenhall attractive although some girls do, but when it comes to women there is a pretty common opinion on what we're supposed to look like.
Syphillis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's hard to say.
Yes, people who aren't good looking have a MUCH harder time in life. I'm not particularly good looking - if at all - and yet my girlfriend is stunning so you can't really say looks are 'everything'.

I think I can confidently say I don't agree, though. Looks aren't everything, they just make life easier.
strawberry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
"Mating" or sex?

In today's society, if you don't have sex, you're a pathetic unsocialable little virgin with no hope of a future...

Depressing, nevertheless true, fact.
that seems to be more YOUR view than the general global view, I have to say.
im so academic
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by strawberry)
that seems to be more YOUR view than the general global view, I have to say.
No, that is not my view at all. I'm simply commenting on the state of social affairs.
najinaji
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've no idea where you've got a lot of this from. A person who's not conventionally attractive or particularly sociable may receive less sex than a younger version of Brad Pitt for example, but most people, unless they are truly terrible human beings, will have some fulfilling relationships.

Once you leave secondary school and stop taking what OK! magazine says as gospel, you'll realise that the world, luckily, isn't that black & white.
jasonlu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. You cant deny it and if you can, your doing a good job lieing to yourself.
No Man
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Looks don't determine success.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (985)
79.37%
Leave (256)
20.63%

Watched Threads