Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    arrrgh I hate athletics. I blame the boring, boring olympic games.
    If my memory serves me correctly, South Africa 2010 was BORING AS F**K. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    lol, where have I said that I've only sat through two world cups? And how you've come to this impression is laughable.

I'm 26 so I've 'sat through' quite a few WCs myself.

Congratulations on sitting through so many WCs, watching FULL coverage of games and reading loads and loads on WCs :rolleyes: Want a gold star?
    If you have sat through quite a few WCs yourself then you should surely remember where they were? But you couldn't remember where 2002 was - dreadful World Cup or not.

ReputationRep:
    The media are driving me crazy! Just because the English wanted it, does not mean that they were entitled to it, which is what they all seem to think.

(Original post by dreamyeyed)
      The media are driving me crazy! Just because the English wanted it, does not mean that they were entitled to it, which is what they all seem to think.
      th apparently fifa dint vote for them cuz they had too much media attention on it

ReputationRep:
      FIFA official: To award England the WC would have been the final insult

Was the result really corrupt?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by blueray)
        Was the result really corrupt?
        There were corruption accusations against a few on the Committee suggesting that they would take money for votes. However, with England getting just 1 vote, it seems the biggest motivation for not acknowledge their bid was that their colleagues - they felt - were wrongly and unjustly attacked. Maybe those who were corrupt were never going to vote for England, but the reaction of the majority of the 22 shows that they were not going to consider England at all because of the media articles in recent months. Maybe corruption helped Russia and Qatar win, but it had little to do with England's failure.

England received 2 votes but one from from an english person lol

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by jakemittle)
          -_-
          Yeah cus England are amazing arent they.

Yeah. England's domestic league has campaigned for years to battle racism in football and has branched out all over the world, including third world countries, to make football better for those who wouldn't have ever had a chance of being anything. England deserves merit for that. Especially when running against countries like Russia and Spain. Russia are notorious for racism, even against their own players and Spain are just as bad as well. The last 3 times England played Spain in Spain there were racist chants towards Heskey and co. Can you imagine how much flak the African and South American teams are going to get. Bare in mind this praise for England is coming from a Welsh person. I don't really usually praise the English but you have to admire how they have gone about kicking racism and hooliganism out of football. Yes, there are still bits of trouble and things flair up, but nowhere near as bad as Barcelona vs Real Madrid has come or any of the Italian teams. Even CSKA and Lokomotiv are very very bad in terms of violence. England

-_-
          So we should do everything based on how Americans will feel yeah?
          You want to compare the amount of people that hate America with the people that hate Russia mhmm?

No but what I'm saying is, why hold an event in a place where tension is obviously going to arise? There are a number of countries who hate Russia due to their Mafia run politicians and even Putin has links with the Mafia. He has been known to take dozens of backhanders to keep quiet or sweep Mafia affiliated crime under the rug. Also, the World Cup is about families enjoying football and a big event to put on to hopefully keep football going and get children involved with the game. Now, no parent in their right mind would take their child to Russia with the amount of crime, abduction and child trafficking that goes on. It's obvious FIFA has taken a number of backhanders from both winning bids - Russia and Qatar. Qatar was the biggest risk out of all the bidders and Russia was the second highest. Both do not have the infrastructure in place at the moment and both cannot provide the facilities or the experience that England could have provided. England deserved it.

Okay. But Russia had a better presentation (I heard) Maybe there are aspects of their bid that were better than ours..
          No Russia did not have a better presentation at all. This was even said by many journalists, many people associated with Russia. Even a Russian journalist came on the news today and said England deserved it. He also stated that the Russian people are not that thrilled with winning it and if England had won it then everyone would be out in the street ecstatic with winning the right to host the World Cup in 2018. Russia only has a small core of its population that is actually into football located around Moscow mainly and a few other cities around Russia. The majority of the Russian population aren't even interested stated by a Russian journalist.

Putin didn't even go to help the bid which for me shows 1 of 2 things

1. Russia really didn't care about the outcome.

2. They already knew they'd won due to backhanders and therefore it was not necessary to go and help with the presentation.

England's presentation was far superior to Russia's. All Russia played on was " the west have had everything, now its time for the east to have something. They played the poor kid from the east. Even Arshavin in his photo's banging on about how life was so hard and how he would have went the wrong way if it wasn't for football. They played on a sympathy vote.

England's bid was purely based on the actual stadia it possessed, the facilities it had for players to train, the comments of managers from the top club in the world, even the backing of foreign managers, how much the British people live, love, breathe football. The whole England bid portrayed England as a place where football is a massive thing. Russia certainly did not.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Meus)
          There were corruption accusations against a few on the Committee suggesting that they would take money for votes. However, with England getting just 1 vote, it seems the biggest motivation for not acknowledge their bid was that their colleagues - they felt - were wrongly and unjustly attacked. Maybe those who were corrupt were never going to vote for England, but the reaction of the majority of the 22 shows that they were not going to consider England at all because of the media articles in recent months. Maybe corruption helped Russia and Qatar win, but it had little to do with England's failure.
          Yes it did.

If FIFA got backhanders from Russia then they would have received a lot of the votes so therefore there was less votes to go for England.

All this nonsense blaming the media is a cover up for FIFA's corruption. The investigation on Panorama was brought to the attention of FIFA months and months ago. This is not a new thing just before the bid, it was previous knowledge brought back into the media spotlight just before the bid.

The fact is that in between the time of the first investigation and the bid, several FIFA members had given England its vote. England were expected at least 6 guaranteed votes, they ended up with 2, 1 being from an Englishman.

Obviously money has a part to play in this, especially considering the two countries that won were both the highest risk, both have hardly any infrastructure to cope with the demand and both have the backing of very very wealthy business tycoons.

FIFA is 100% corrupt and the UK and US should set up its own federation and show FIFA how it is done. Then when other countries get fed up with FIFA, as Spain are, then they will join the federation the UK and US have set up. With current European and World champions on side other countries, most notably countries that get discriminated through FIFA's absurd systems and rankings will jump ship. That is the only way FIFA will be stopped as at present, Blatter is currently not being opposed to for the position so he will remain there for the foreseeable future and continue destroying football with monetary corruption and political interests.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by jb9191)
          No Russia did not have a better presentation at all. This was even said by many journalists, many people associated with Russia. Even a Russian journalist came on the news today and said England deserved it. He also stated that the Russian people are not that thrilled with winning it and if England had won it then everyone would be out in the street ecstatic with winning the right to host the World Cup in 2018. Russia only has a small core of its population that is actually into football located around Moscow mainly and a few other cities around Russia. The majority of the Russian population aren't even interested stated by a Russian journalist.

Putin didn't even go to help the bid which for me shows 1 of 2 things

1. Russia really didn't care about the outcome.

2. They already knew they'd won due to backhanders and therefore it was not necessary to go and help with the presentation.

England's presentation was far superior to Russia's. All Russia played on was " the west have had everything, now its time for the east to have something. They played the poor kid from the east. Even Arshavin in his photo's banging on about how life was so hard and how he would have went the wrong way if it wasn't for football. They played on a sympathy vote.

England's bid was purely based on the actual stadia it possessed, the facilities it had for players to train, the comments of managers from the top club in the world, even the backing of foreign managers, how much the British people live, love, breathe football. The whole England bid portrayed England as a place where football is a massive thing. Russia certainly did not.
          But Russia got it and you didnt. Simple as.

Of course people like you think if England doesnt get it, there must be something wrong, Fifa must be corrupt. Pff.

Both Russia and Qatar have never hosted it. Now they can. Im happy with the decision.

So what if you have everything? By your theory South Africa should not have hosted the World Cup, it should have been Egypt.

Putin wasnt there, so? Was the Queen there? Excatly.

ReputationRep:
          What I can't understand is why Netherlands/Belgium went from 4 votes to 2 votes in the 2nd round, with Russia picking up these two votes. Seems like a deliberate attempt to get England eliminated at the 1st round, ridiculous process. You should have to list your order of preference and then they work out the winner from there (not that it would have made a difference yesterday but it could if England was everyone's 2nd favourite)

ReputationRep:
          Yes it did.
          Stop using all bold text, please.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Kevmeister)
          Stop using all bold text, please.
          I use bold text to show where I am commenting on each individual paragraph.

If it bothers you then that is your problem. The simple thing is that the option to bold words, sentences, paragraphs is there to make things clearer.

Tell TSR to remove the bold option if it bothers you that much, whilst it remains I will continue to use it.

ReputationRep:
          Apparently the 2022 WC in Qatar will played on artificial pitches, how can that be classed as a proper WC when the surface being played on isn't used by the majority of the participants.
          2018 should have been a white wash for England and we would have hosted one of the great world cups without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
          I use bold text to show where I am commenting on each individual paragraph.

If it bothers you then that is your problem. The simple thing is that the option to bold words, sentences, paragraphs is there to make things clearer.

Tell TSR to remove the bold option if it bothers you that much, whilst it remains I will continue to use it.
          Bolding entire paragraphs does not make anything clearer. How would you highlight specific phrases/points that you want to get across in a paragraph, unbold them? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Kevmeister)
          Bolding entire paragraphs does not make anything clearer. How would you highlight specific phrases/points that you want to get across in a paragraph, unbold them? :rolleyes:

No.

I bolded the sentence my paragraphs in bold referred too :facepalm:

Seriously, do you think I give a flying **** about the rep system?

Give me -10 everyday if you want. I am not arsed about rep on a forum.

If you are I suggest you get outside McLovin'.

Damn, its so easy to spot people on here who are virgins.

" Oh, I'm going to give you -4 rep, haha, I feel so powerful! ".

Epic Fail !

Give me more bad rep if you like. I will welcome it with open arms.

ReputationRep:
          No.

I bolded the sentence my paragraphs in bold referred too :facepalm:

Seriously, do you think I give a flying **** about the rep system?

Give me -10 everyday if you want. I am not arsed about rep on a forum.

If you are I suggest you get outside McLovin'.

Damn, its so easy to spot people on here who are virgins.

" Oh, I'm going to give you -4 rep, haha, I feel so powerful! ".

Epic Fail !

Give me more bad rep if you like. I will welcome it with open arms.
          Your last two responses to Jake have been made entirely using bold text, when it does very little to make points clearer as you said earlier.

Good for you, top lad. :yy:

this thread is starting to get dry now we all know the results and theirs nothing any of us can do about it

ReputationRep:
            FIFA's merged with OPEC, Venezuela 2026 guys!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.