Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    I've said, several times in both this thread and on others, that one should NOT treat the "PUA rules" as a Bible. That one should read the information with a grain of salt. That there IS sometimes bad or incorrect information coming from so called "PUA's" If you had actually read all my responses instead of cherry picking, then you would not have come to such an incorrect conclusion.

Ignorance really does breed contempt. Sigh

PUA "techniques" are not magic tricks. Simply following the information will not make women magically jump onto your lap. The information simply explains that there are some NATURAL types of behaviour that encourages female attraction. It explains WHY this works, as well as tips to improve your social interactions.

All PUA "tricks" are simply NATURAL behaviours which have been noted to have a higher degree of success. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tips such as eye contact, body language, how to use teasing or filrty language are all staples of a PUA, but are all based on NORMAL EVERY DAY INTERACTIONS
    I've read the Game. I've read the Mystery Method. I've followed online the antics of such sub-humans as Dimitri "The Lover", Rasputin and other poster-boys for the community. Calling me ignorant isn't an arguement.

These books are bibles to misogyny. The people who wrote them and the people who live by them are broken, pathetic individuals. Its no surprise to me that there have been several high profile PUArtists who have had well-publicised psychotic breaks.

Normal (nonPUA) people don't aim to sleep with a different girl each night every night forever. Normal people don't want to do this - they want to meet one, good person and stick with them. PUAs see women as an objective, a status symbol, something to conquer and then discard. The worst part is most PUAs dont even like women, in fact they hate them. Using PUA techniques to manipulate women into sleeping with them is essentially a way of proving to themselves how "dumb" these "*****es are". Who could honestly claim that they respect someone they have deliberately: ignored, isolated, comforted and then browbeaten soleley to get them to sleep with them on a first encounter (and then never contacted again)?

This isn't about teaching awkward guys tricks that allow them to achieve the same results as non-awkward guys. ITs about teaching aspergic *******s who are scared of and hate women how to get sex from them without having to ever relate to them.

edit: before you come back and tell me yet again that I've got it all wrong here is a direct quote from Neil Strauss, author of the Game:
    "a side effect of [using PUA methods] is it lowers one's opinion of the opposite sex"
    from an interview with the Guardian, to which the interviewer responded (and was not rebuffed) that it might be said that having a low opinion of the opposite sex was a pre-requisite.

Some of the main PUA guys are verging on sociopathy:
    "The whole thing is set up to make you view women as unreal, and merely as objects for your own sexual gratification and validation. People you aren't sexually interested in are supposed to only register as possible obstacles to using a girl for sex, if they register at all. . . . So you're always leading on chicks you aren't interested in, just to "practice" or "socially proof" yourself, or maybe use her as a gateway to her friends?"

Does that sound like the behaviour of someone who has a healthy view of women to you? There's even a load of fascinating articles on various sociopathy websites about how PUA techniques can be really useful to a sociopath who is trying to systemise his attempts to fake "normal" behaviour, but even the actual sociopath support groups think that PUA is misogynistic!

ReputationRep:
    West Indian parent and you've never been to the WI? SHAME

Was actually planning on taking the ferry over for carnival (seeing as I'm here now) but budget and other restrictions have kinda put a damper on that
    West Indian on both sides as well

I'd definitely love to go for carnival. If we do go there we won't even get to see much family as they're all pretty much in England or Stateside now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    That's why it's usually focused upon that you need to practise a lot.

I don't see why being awkward means you can't learn something, it doesn't make you thick or anything.
    No, being awkward doesn't mean you can't learn something. Except, human interaction is very complex. There isn't a book of rules or step by step motion you must go through to achieve.a certified set of results. Learning the subtleties and so on are difficult if you we not naturally aware of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryRepeating)
    I've read the Game. I've read the Mystery Method. I've followed online the antics of such sub-humans as Dimitri "The Lover", Rasputin and other poster-boys for the community. Calling me ignorant isn't an arguement.

These books are bibles to misogyny. The people who wrote them and the people who live by them are broken, pathetic individuals. Its no surprise to me that there have been several high profile PUArtists who have had well-publicised psychotic breaks.

Normal (nonPUA) people don't aim to sleep with a different girl each night every night forever. Normal people don't want to do this - they want to meet one, good person and stick with them. PUAs see women as an objective, a status symbol, something to conquer and then discard. The worst part is most PUAs dont even like women, in fact they hate them. Using PUA techniques to manipulate women into sleeping with them is essentially a way of proving to themselves how "dumb" these "*****es are". Who could honestly claim that they respect someone they have deliberately: ignored, isolated, comforted and then browbeaten soleley to get them to sleep with them on a first encounter (and then never contacted again)?

This isn't about teaching awkward guys tricks that allow them to achieve the same results as non-awkward guys. ITs about teaching aspergic *******s who are scared of and hate women how to get sex from them without having to ever relate to them.

edit: before you come back and tell me yet again that I've got it all wrong here is a direct quote from Neil Strauss, author of the Game:
    "a side effect of [using PUA methods] is it lowers one's opinion of the opposite sex"
    from an interview with the Guardian, to which the interviewer responded (and was not rebuffed) that it might be said that having a low opinion of the opposite sex was a pre-requisite.

"The whole thing is set up to make you view women as unreal, and merely as objects for your own sexual gratification and validation. People you aren't sexually interested in are supposed to only register as possible obstacles to using a girl for sex, if they register at all. . . . So you're always leading on chicks you aren't interested in, just to "practice" or "socially proof" yourself, or maybe use her as a gateway to her friends?"

Does that sound like the behaviour of someone who has a healthy view of women to you? There's even a load of fascinating articles on various sociopathy websites about how PUA techniques can be really useful to a sociopath who is trying to systemise his attempts to fake "normal" behaviour, but even the actual sociopath support groups think that PUA is misogynistic!
    from an interview with the Guardian
    That is EXACTLY the story that came to mind when I was talking about writers taking bits of information and then slanting it to villanise an entire group

Are there some sections of the PUA community that are misogynistic?

Sure. But then again, you can probably say the same thing about ANY group of guys looking for ways to get with more women

Is the information ITSELF misogynistic?

I honestly don't believe so.

You keep taking bits and pieces of information and trying to present them as the full story. The fact that you even think that using "PUA techniques" is the same as getting a girl drunk demonstrates how little grasp you have on the ACTUAL information. The fact that you have the wrong idea about something as basic as negging also demonstrates this as well

ReputationRep:
    When you get into a relationship make sure the 69th day is extra special

ReputationRep:
    That is EXACTLY the story that came to mind when I was talking about writers taking bits of information and then slanting it to villanise an entire group

Are there some sections of the PUA community that are misogynistic?

Sure. But then again, you can probably say the same thing about ANY group of guys looking for ways to get with more women

Is the information ITSELF misogynistic?

I honestly don't believe so.

You keep taking bits and pieces of information and trying to present them as the full story. The fact that you even think that using "PUA techniques" is the same as getting a girl drunk demonstrates how little grasp you have on the ACTUAL information. The fact that you have the wrong idea about something as basic as negging also demonstrates this as well
    Please name a PUA book or PUA "celebrity" to whom the above argument don't apply.

Basing my arguement on the two most popular PUA books (by a million miles, the only two that are bestsellers) by the two most well known PUA guys, is hardly "taking bits aand pieces".

Its you who is cherrypicking the harmless bits and ignoring all the underlying misogyny.

ReputationRep:
    Please name a PUA book or PUA "celebrity" to whom the above argument don't apply.

Basing my arguement on the two most popular PUA books (by a million miles, the only two that are bestsellers) by the two most well known PUA guys, is hardly "taking bits aand pieces".

Its you who is cherrypicking the harmless bits and ignoring all the underlying misogyny.
    Juggler. If you watch Seduction School - Size Matters

then you may have a different opinion on the PUA community. There are genuinely good guys out there, let me repeat that you can't base everything you know about them on one or two sources

Basing my arguement on the two most popular PUA books
    One of which was a narrative, a story with many edited pieces, with characteristics switched around and where motives were attributed on the whim of the author, and where event timelines were arbitrarily switched around to support narrative flow.

I guess you're going to tell me that everything was 100% true right? I don't doubt the veracity of most of the information, but it is a STORY where the author decided to chop and change information for "better reading"

Oh and I'm quite willing to admit that I find that Mystery a deeply troubled individual. He's not about making himself more attractive, he's a guy with childhood issues who is attention seeking. But he is only one person out of many, and even though he may be well known and influential, the entirety of work is not defined by him

ReputationRep:

BTW, I hope you realise that I have refuted every point you made. I highly doubt you will change your opinion, no matter how much information I present to you.

All I can say is, watch Seduction School

ReputationRep:

One of which was a narrative, a story with many edited pieces, with characteristics switched around and where motives were attributed on the whim of the author, and where event timelines were arbitrarily switched around to support narrative flow.
    And yet the guy is still friends with all his PUA buddies - would that really be the case if he had lied and made them out to be *******s when they actually weren't?
    Oh and I'm quite willing to admit that I find that Mystery a deeply troubled individual. He's not about making himself more attractive, he's a guy with childhood issues who is attention seeking. But he is only one person out of many, and even though he may be well known and influential, the entirety of work is not defined by him
    Right so the two most famous PUAs are 1) mispresenting the community that they essentially founded and defined and 2) one-off broken exceptions.

Special pleading much? Your argument is pretty fricking weak.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, I hope you realise that I have refuted every point you made. I highly doubt you will change your opinion, no matter how much information I present to you.

All I can say is, watch Seduction School
    If you think saying "you are wrong those masses of examples are just exceptions, you dont understand what PUA is really about" is "refuting my points" I'm afraid Socrates would like a word...

I will watch that video and read up on the guy later tonight.

ReputationRep:
    And yet the guy is still friends with all his PUA buddies - would that really be the case if he had lied and made them out to be *******s when they actually weren't?

Right so the two most famous PUAs are 1) mispresenting the community that they essentially founded and defined and 2) one-off broken exceptions.

Special pleading much? Your argument is pretty fricking weak.
    would that really be the case if he had lied
    Neil Straus changed and switched characteristics of the people in his story. This is a FACT. You can argue all you want, but his story isn't 100% true, and has been chopped and changed to fit a narrative.

And if you had actually followed the stories at the time, you would know that there were MANY people who were upset at the way that he portrayed the community, and did think that he misrepresented them

the two most famous PUAs
    So because they are famous, that means that they automatically represent the ENTIRE community?

BTW, I showed you a great example of a helpful PUA, and you have quite selectively chosen to ignore it, just as you have selected to ignore all of my responses that you could not argue

Let me repeat for the umpteenth time: There ARE many bad elements in the community. It is not something I personally care about, I have no vested interest in them. I do not think them or their information is always right.

I DO, however, think much is it is useful. And to villify everyone who has found usefullness in this information is not only shallow, but incorrect

ReputationRep:
    The best thing about confidence is, you cant fake it. Or rather, if you successfully fake it you aren't faking it, its real!
    real talk, legit advice right there

ReputationRep:
    Why am I not surprised this is one of the most popular threads on this forum.......LOL.

ReputationRep:

awesome post, basically what I was trying to say.

i watched that "school for seduction" show, the PUA advice was the usual mixture of creepiness (at one point actually leared "there's a beautiful creature" when talking about a strange girl in the street), stating the obvious and (possibly deliberately?) bad advice. It was more like "school for humiliation".

ReputationRep:
    How about the use of eau de toilette? Chanel Allure to be precise

x
    I can't help but laugh at the amount of misinformation in this thread. Seems like those who first read into "PUA" automatically praise Style and Mystery when in reality those two and LONG been outdated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    I can't help but laugh at the amount of misinformation in this thread. Seems like those who first read into "PUA" automatically praise Style and Mystery when in reality those two and LONG been outdated.
    I'm always amused at the so call "experts" who seem to get some sort of kick out of denigrating others and calling them "pathetic". Guess they need some sort of ego boost by bringing down others.

I'm always amused at the so call "experts" who seem to get some sort of kick out of denigrating others and calling them "pathetic". Guess they need some sort of ego boost by bringing down others.
    Of course, its basic prejudice tbh :yes:

Btw it was pyoalb who negged you :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    PUA stuff itself is not misogynistic. The PUA's seem to understand the background of what they're getting themselves into, and what they're getting other people into as well. For the guys that buy it, they're giving them what they need.

ReputationRep:
    I just hate PUAs. Every one on the internet i've come across and in every video is a douchebag.

It's just sexist and pathetic tbh, but that's just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.