Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by targaryen)
    My sub is Criminology and I'm in JoFo you?
    Biological Science and staying in Lasdun in GMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snap.Crackle.Pop.)
    Biological Science and staying in Lasdun in GMS
    cool i had trouble choosing either JoFo or GMS. and i got JoFo in the end!

I am pretty excited to move in! even though i have no idea how my room looks like..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by targaryen)
    Barkby.. you in JoFo too? which part?
    I'm in a converted house in JoFo, Treroose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    What subject/accommodation?
    Nixon court...Management

ReputationRep:
    I need the results to come out now! I'm getting sooo excited and I'll be so disappointed if I don't get in. No other uni compares to Leicester for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ascottheyes)
    I need the results to come out now! I'm getting sooo excited and I'll be so disappointed if I don't get in. No other uni compares to Leicester for me!
    Same! I loved my subject and the environment and people there, I'll be gutted if I miss the grades! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie1404)
    Same! I loved my subject and the environment and people there, I'll be gutted if I miss the grades! Good luck

(Original post by ascottheyes)
    Good luck...hope it works out for you!

ReputationRep:
    Eeek, just came here to wish everyone the best of luck. You all have firmed the BEST UNI IN THE WORLD.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

I was in GMS in Lasdun, and it's clear as to what subject I'm studying.
    Also, everyone should join Ladies Hockey, I'm social sec for the next year....!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgaTiger)
    Eeek, just came here to wish everyone the best of luck. You all have firmed the BEST UNI IN THE WORLD.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

I was in GMS in Lasdun, and it's clear as to what subject I'm studying.
    Also, everyone should join Ladies Hockey, I'm social sec for the next year....!
    I'm counting on the "best uni in the world" to deliver! Looking forward to it!

Not quite sure about the "Ladies Hockey" thing tho...but all the best anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trumpcard)
    I'm counting on the "best uni in the world" to deliver! Looking forward to it!

Not quite sure about the "Ladies Hockey" thing tho...but all the best anyway
    Well, it's Team Leicester Ladies Hockey Club to be exact, we play field hockey find us at freshers fair.

Of course we shall deliver...!!

ReputationRep:
    Im actually jealous of everyone on this thread. Leicester Uni is so nice, and set in such a lovely area, not to mention that Leicester as a city is miles better than it used to be! I would definately have gone if it wasn't for the small matter of them not doing my chosen course..
    But anyone who is going there this year and has any questions about the city, I'm Leicester born and raised haha so quote me and ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgaTiger)
    Well, it's Team Leicester Ladies Hockey Club to be exact, we play field hockey find us at freshers fair.

Of course we shall deliver...!!
    No worries! I'm sure I'll be at a few games cheering you guys on

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! Your place at University of Leicester (L34) to study Computing with Management (G4N1) has been confirmed.

I can now officially say i'm going to Leicester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishlarr)
    I can now officially say i'm going to Leicester
    Me too!!!! Feels good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by east)
    any freshers for 2011/2012 who are planning on studying international business and marketing or any type of business related degree at DMU, let me me know as i have books from my first year that im selling for cheap and are in really good condition
    Hi i am firmed for Media and communication and marketing, how much you selling the books for?
    EEE I got in to DMU ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harbit92)
    I'm going to Leicester uni too IB points met....just. I'm doin geology with palaeobiology, anyone else doin that or geoscience in general????
    I'm doing Geology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigV)
    Preferably one on the DMU campus and not at the University of Leicester; we have standards to maintain.
    ... Christ... Snobish much? I'm going dmu this year and I last year I got into a university that wa higher up in the league tables than Leicester was, but I decided not to go and to withdraw my place...
    You could get the best alevels and then still fail your Uni course you know!

It's probably a good job that you're not going to be sharing a house with anyone from dmu if your gonna be like that!
    Sure you have to get better grades to get into Leicester for some degrees, but for law at dmu you need like AAB and I know loads of people who got really good alevels and went to dmu rather than the university of Leicester.
    And anyway a harder to get into university doesn't necessarily mean that it's a better course, as another course might have different modules more related to your future career!

I'd rather go university with people who are more open minded than those who are judgemental like you as I'd learn a lot more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninjascantswim)
    I'd rather go university with people who are more open minded than those who are judgemental like you as I'd learn a lot more!
    My post was a bit of banter in response to somebody who posted about DMU on the Leicester Uni thread. Lighten up, I don't know how you can possibly deduce that I am close minded, judgemental or snobbish based on a one line throw away comment.

I think student satisfaction, employment stats and other measures generally point towards which universities are doing better than others. That is not to say that any one uni is 'good' or 'bad', but it is fair guide. The University of Leicester is overall a much better university academically speaking, I don't think that point can be sensibly disputed really.

You could get the best alevels and then still fail your Uni course you know!
    Unlikely since A-levels are not my entry route and there is no way I would allow myself to fail at Uni anyway. But I get your point and actually, I pretty much agree.

I'm going dmu this year and I last year I got into a university that wa higher up in the league tables than Leicester was, but I decided not to go and to withdraw my place...
    I never mentioned league tables in the post you quoted.... not sure why you felt the need to bring that up, unless you have a chip on your shoulder about going somewhere that is so badly rated, or perhaps a doubt in your mind about your decision.

As it happens I withdrew from my place at Leicester at the last moment as I didn't feel the course was right for me. Now I'm off to Loughborough instead, which I think goes to show I am certainly not a snob as you claim - as I'm guessing most of the elitists on this forum would rate Leicester as more 'prestigious'................... .......... Although Loughborough is still significantly better than DMU on almost every measure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigV)
    My post was a bit of banter in response to somebody who posted about DMU on the Leicester Uni thread. Lighten up, I don't know how you can possibly deduce that I am close minded, judgemental or snobbish based on

As it happens I withdrew from my place at Leicester at the last moment as I didn't feel the course was right for me. Now I'm off to Loughborough instead, which I think goes to show I am certainly not a snob as you claim - as I'm guessing most of the elitists on this forum would rate Leicester as more 'prestigious'................... .......... Although Loughborough is still significantly better than DMU on almost every measure.
    I'm sorry. I've just reread my post and realised I sounded like a nob...
    It's just I've been hearing nothing but how Dmu is **** ect from no end of people (most of whom don't even go Uni) and it's a little bit of a sore spot... (same with people about the OU)

Sorry...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninjascantswim)
    I'm sorry. I've just reread my post and realised I sounded like a nob...
    It's just I've been hearing nothing but how Dmu is **** ect from no end of people (most of whom don't even go Uni) and it's a little bit of a sore spot... (same with people about the OU)

Sorry...
    Well, I don't think DMU is that bad to be honest.

I went to DMU for an open day last year with some other students from my college. Everyone was impressed with the facilities on offer, the campus is clean, modern, fresh and really nice. The Uni is pretty much in the city centre as well, so there is a lot going on and there was a nice atmosphere / feeling to the place. The library is absolutely fantastic with tons of computers, study rooms, books, etc and really stood as a bit special IMO.

Of all the open days I went to I felt DMU was the most enjoyable experience, I just didn't think the course was for me. However, the 4 other people I went to that open day with are all going there next year... one of them turning down an offer from Leicester to do so...

From what I could tell DMU places quite a strong emphasis on vocational courses and getting people ready for employment.......... so even if accademically it maybe isn't the best, I think you can still get out what you want to get out of it, as long as you put the effort in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.